Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Restored Ability Names

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
Hey Angelo26, I was wondering if you could tell me the steps to change the names in this patch.

I took a trip to the tutorials section but i still couldn't make sense of it. I have windhex, and I'm no stranger to hex editing (compressed data is a different story) but it's all jiberish. Is it just a matter of using a table file, or is there something else?

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
You need some menu table files...I forgot where they are, but once you know where they are, you just open table from windhex and do a search for something...example, "Firaga" or "Valigarmanda" will get you to the correct address, I think

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Status
Traitor
Angelo, do you think you would be willing to (or be able to) go a little further with this patch and add in longer length item names?
  Find

Status
None
I've tried, here are -some- issues: (How many issues can you count?)

[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]

What I haven't done is increase the length of bushido techniques...I believe they are 12 letters each in the menu, and they could be extended up to 13.

Status
Traitor
The only thing I can think of that would fix this is modifying the font size and changing it to variable width which I've seen people do.
Something like this I guess.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/440/

This may also be helpful:
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/245/

-------------------------
EDIT!
What am I talking about?! DOH!, FF3usME can apparently already manage the widths of a font.
I could make a font that collaborates with your patch here so that the font would be displaying right if you release an addition patch that also includes more characters in item names.
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
The GBA font that Poco Loco made has a smaller character width--it allowed me to put all of the intro scripts on one page, rather than the old font which required two.

[Image: AegisBanner01.png]

Status
None
The issue is not with the font...The three top reasons why I don't include the item names under the patch is because:

1. Item quantities are not displayed for some reason
2. Item names are cut off by three letters in battle
3. Edgar's tools command gets messed up in battle

See the issues here:
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....pic=1489.0

I could try going for 13 letters instead of 16, and maybe it would work...

I also spoke with lord J about releasing a ff6usME version that recognizes this patch and makes it easier for people to edit names under usME. I will quote him on his response:

Quote:"Hi Angelo26, this is definitely possible. I've had to implement at least one name expansion in the past and the process relatively easy, though the rigorous test cases are long.

I haven't started thinking about the road-map to FF3usME v6.8, but if the community wants it, then it shall be done.

I'll be contacting you somewhere in December for more info. I really hope to tie a few loose ends that keeps me from starting 6.8. Darn it, it's been some 6 months since I wanted to get this going!

Lord J

It means I probably need to make any updates pretty soon before he starts working on the new version.

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Status
None
(11-30-2011, 10:10 PM)Angelo26 Wrote: It means I probably need to make any updates pretty soon before he starts working on the new version.

Sounds like some good motivation Smile

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Status
Traitor
I hope Lord J thinks about implementing some of my ideas based on notes I've documented. Such as battle backgrounds, and more.
  Find

Status
None
(12-01-2011, 02:00 AM)Zeemis Wrote: I hope Lord J thinks about implementing some of my ideas based on notes I've documented. Such as battle backgrounds, and more.

Send him an email, he probably needs to see interest from a lot of people to start working on the net usME version Laugh