FF6A (E) Woolsey Slattery Compromise Patch
By: BlackTelomeres
Version: 2.0
Released on: 03/02/2011
Apply to FF6A (E)
Download
RHDN Entry

Description:
This patch is for the European version of FF6 Advance (the English option on there is equivalent to the US English translation before the patch). This patch aims to make playing FF6A a bit more enjoyable for those who liked some of the SNES dialogue lines that got removed and spell/item/monster/ability names that got removed, by restoring some of those lines and names to the Advance version. It started off as a purely personal project, but I figured I'd put it out there since I've heard some people mention that they preferred some of the same dialogue lines and names I reverted in this. In some cases with the dialogue it mixes the accuracy of FF6A with the evocative wording of the SNES version. I don't think it'll make too many people bust out FF6A and start replaying it right away, but it's more of a resource that people can try the next time they end up replaying the game if they like some aspects of the Advance version (like the accuracy and clarity in many cases) but also want a little bit more classic Woolsey stuff in their FF6A.

The readme file included has more specifics on what exactly is reverted, but the screens also help give a sampling of that as well.

[Image: scr1.png] [Image: scr2.png]
[Image: scr3.png] [Image: scr4.png]
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I really like how the portraits are shown in the dialogue boxes.. would I be able to add my custom portraits to this? It'd be a perfect base patch for me if so.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
(03-03-2011, 07:08 PM)Lijj Wrote: I really like how the portraits are shown in the dialogue boxes.. would I be able to add my custom portraits to this? It'd be a perfect base patch for me if so.
That's how it is done in FFVI Advance. This is a patch for GBA, not SNES. As far as I know there is no easy way outside of a tile editor to import portraits into the GBA Advance version.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Status
None
dang, perhaps I could trade someone with hacking skillz some graphics work. to get something made where I could do that.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
Perhaps the hacking resources for the GBA version will eventually grow to the extent that there will be ways to edit its portraits more easily. Nothing much on that front yet as far as I know though.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
I really like the idea of portraits in a dialog box.
I'll try to see if I can't get that to work.
  Find

Status
None
I imagine that'd be quite a task to fit into the SNES version, since the line spacing in the script is all based on having the full text box to use for text. I suppose there are alternatives though, like putting it in part of the background of the text box and allowing text to overlay it - or putting it above the text box to the left or right like some newer games have done.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Yeah, I think having it just below the text box box to the left would work just perfectly, and there's actually an event command that -almost- does that in FF3us already. Angelo and I have been discussing it, but we're not entirely sure how possible it is yet.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Even if it is possible, there may be some characters that will not have a portrait, compared to FF6 advance (Kefka, Gestahl, and Cid I think).

Still, it's going to be troublesome to do, since an extra byte will be needed each time a dialogue box is called (for the character ID), and there's no more space for events.

Lenophis mentioned a way of making more room for events by moving the game's text to another bank, but still this will take quite some time to complete, I guess.

Status
Runic
I might have to try this patch out, i loved Woolsey's translations, especially when the merchant calls Locke a thief during his scenario, and some of the old weapon names. Smile

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find