Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Restored Ability Names

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I think I may have found a solution - if I expand the ROM with FF3usME and use the monster battle scripts hack to move them elsewhere, then apply restored ability names patch, it seems like everything is functioning as it should.

The monster battle scripts need to be backed up and then imported but it seems to be working properly. I haven't had time in the last few days to test more than a tiny bit, but at least the Marshal isn't Meteor-ing my party to death anymore!
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DrMeat for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (05-01-2015)

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
I found a documentation error and, I believe, a compatibility bug which makes it more difficult to adapt this patch to "DarkMage's Hack." (To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that causes this patch to be conflict with DarkMage's "FF6 Improvement" hack is the inclusion of Imzogelmo's Multi-Steal fix, which rewrites and reorders a number of functions in the C1/5E50 - C1/F6090 range).

First, in the documentation:

Quote:CHANGED IN DARKMAGE'S HACK:
C1/601A CHANGED TO C1/5FD8
C1/6031 CHANGED TO C1/5FE1

should be

Quote:CHANGED IN DARKMAGE'S HACK:
C1/601A CHANGED TO C1/5FD8
C1/6031 CHANGED TO C1/5FE0

Second, the compatibility bug:

For some reason, the patch instructs for the hex data 3AD0F660 to be written to C1/5FAF, which is identical to what is already in the original 1.0 ROM. (Also note that the address is not listed in the "detailed changes" section of the documentation). This usually does not cause a problem, but when the patch is applied on top of Imzogelmo's Multi-steal fix, it needlessly overwrites the crucial data

Code:
C1/5FAF: 20B75EBF

which causes battles to halt after a few moments.

So for those who still want to use this patch with Imzogelmo's multi-steal fix and its derivatives, it looks like these are the necessary steps:
1. Apply multi-steal 1.0 headered version
2. Use FF3usME to expand the ROM, apply the battle script hack, and export all battle scripts (As per Dr. Meat's post).
3. Apply Restored Ability Names.
4. Make a backup of this copy for reference when performing step 5.
5. By hand, fix the data corresponding to the 6 "Darkmage" changes listed, taking into account the typo I mentioned above. I believe it amounts to 24 byte changes in total.
6. Write 20B75EBF to C1/5FAF.
7. Use FF3usME to restore all battle scripts.

This is a pretty old thread, so if Angelo26 does not respond/update the original post, and if there's interest, I can post a modified patch to take care of all of the above. This is a really cool hack, after all.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-13-2016, 12:33 AM)silentenigma Wrote: This is a pretty old thread, so if Angelo26 does not respond/update the original post, and if there's interest, I can post a modified patch to take care of all of the above. This is a really cool hack, after all.

He won't respond or update the patch, so if you want to update the patch, you have my benediction. I think his work is still useful for other people, though I'd personally go for a manual implementation for my hack.
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
Thanks for your blessing, Madsiur, and I did just that. I've posted a thread about it here.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm gonna close the thread since Angelo is pretty much out of the loop since 2013 and since silentenigma's version of the patch is a welcome update of Angelo's work. If Angelo ever comes back and wants the thread reopen I'll do this.
  Find