Final Fantasy VI: Restored Ability Names

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Nice Catch! I can fix that, here's how it looks:

[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]

I also took the liberty of fixing a bug that is present with the game. If you select magic, and then select a character's specific ability (Lore, Rage, Blitz, or Dance), the MP cost of the last spell you saw "sticks in", and carries over to the ability name. The same thing happens if you browse the espers first, and then select a character's specific ability.

[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]

Thanks to Gi Nattak for leading me in the right direction and for making me aware of this bug. The main post will be updated with both bug fixes.

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I noticed that the battle menu for Relm's Control command is not long enough to accommodate all of the letters, and so they run off the menu. I'm sure you've noticed this, though!

Also, a few ability names have FFs or 00s used as spaces, instead of FEs. I can only recall one off the top of my head: Setzer's Prismatic Flash, which reads simply as "Prismatic" due to using a FF. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have saved the notes for which of all the abilities had these problems, and I only caught Prismatic Flash when I went to re-name it for my own humble purposes and discovered that it was, indeed, supposed to be Prismatic Flash.

You may have caught and fixed this since the last update, and if so, I apologize.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Thanks for the constant feedback! I appreciate your hard work in finding bugs within my patch. If you're able to post screenshots of the problems, I will like you even more~ Tongue

(07-18-2012, 09:12 PM)Marketa Lazarova Wrote: I noticed that the battle menu for Relm's Control command is not long enough to accommodate all of the letters, and so they run off the menu. I'm sure you've noticed this, though!

Yes, this is a problem that is bugging me to death. The issue is as you explained; the simple solution is to expand the control menu's borders to accommodate the longer names. With my current abilities, I can't find the code that creates the menus in battle. A long time might pass before this one is fixed.

(07-18-2012, 09:12 PM)Marketa Lazarova Wrote: Also, a few ability names have FFs or 00s used as spaces, instead of FEs. I can only recall one off the top of my head: Setzer's Prismatic Flash, which reads simply as "Prismatic" due to using a FF.

Yes, and I believe there's an ability named "Holy Sword" which is supposed to be one of Umaro's attacks. As you can guess, I messed up the name of it too.

I'll double check all names and I'll get back to you with the fixes.

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I'm sure I used a clean ROM with a header, as soon as I enter battle and select magic the screen goes either scrambled or completely black.

Edit- Found out my mistake. The ROM does need to have a header and needs to be 1.0. I thought one of my copies was 1.0 and turned out to be 1.1. Caused my own project to get screwy too. Your hack works wonderfully. I want to figure out what the difference in code is for the Class names function that works great on yours but in me entering it into hex causes a glitch in the Skills.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Great patch! I'd like to know which byte to change in WindHex if I wanted to move the character class names on the menu screen two spaces to the right?

Also is there any way to display the MP cost of the Espers again? Thanks
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-07-2014, 09:55 AM)Amon1995 Wrote: I'd like to know which byte to change in WindHex if I wanted to move the character class names on the menu screen two spaces to the right?

Angelo is rarely on the site. The initial post of this thread explain how to implement character class. If you copy the ASM code and the data you will see them appear. This post explain how to position the class names properly in the main menu at least. There should be extra position data in bank C3 to align them properly in the skill menu.

Now I don't take credit for this code, I only took the routine from The Eternal Crystals hack and optimized it to practice my ASM coding. It's the same code Angelo used, Gi Nattak and others used.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Hello! I'm having a bit of trouble with this patch, so I'm wondering if maybe someone has an easy answer for me (probably not likely)...

The ROM I have is unheadered and 1.0 (MD5 is E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890), so I am using NSRT 3.4 to apply a header. I apply the patch to an otherwise clean ROM. Everything seems fine up until I get to the boss fight with the Marshal (when you have the teams of moogles), who hits me with Meteor and instantly kills the whole party. I can get around this sorta by giving the Marshal less MP in FF3usME but I don't know if he's the only one with problems like this.

What's going on here? How can I get around it?

Besides this issue, the patch is fantastic! I've loaded in with a save from further in the game and everything looks wonderful! I'm just working on my own dumb project and kinda want to get this working, if possible.
  Find

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 15
Status
X-Zone
Dr. Meat Wrote:The ROM I have is unheadered and 1.0

Well, here'e your problem you're Supposed to patch it to a Headered ROM:
Angelo Wrote:2. Use only with HEADERED ROM version 1.0.

Shine 
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
Except, if you'll read the rest of his sentence, he's adding a header with NSRT.

I swear I've heard of this exact same issue occurring somewhere else, but I don't remember where on the forum -- it may have been in this thread somewhere, with this patch, although I want to say it was a different thread. Take a look around; you may find your answer.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GrayShadows for this post:
  • DrMeat (05-29-2014)

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 15
Status
X-Zone
GrayShadows Wrote:I swear I've heard of this exact same issue occurring somewhere else,
but I don't remember where on the forum -- it may have been in this
thread somewhere, with this patch, although I want to say it was a
different thread. Take a look around; you may find your answer.

Yes as a matter a fact I had I similar Problem and posted it here:https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...ht=possess

Shine 
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cyprus for this post:
  • DrMeat (05-29-2014)