Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(09-12-2020, 07:38 PM)Rythian Wrote: Hello. First of all, I love this hack, it's so nice to have a proper translation and full item/ability names. I can't imagine going back. I think the only thing that really stood out to me as weird was Daryl asking Setzer if he liked to look at her ass. While not vulgar by any means, it didn't feel as natural as the rest of the text, given how much the rest of the script generally avoids even mild language like that. It also stops becoming a double entendre  referring to the back of her ship entirely. Maybe just change it to "my behind"?

Hi Rythian, thanks for the kind feedback. I'm glad you've had a good time with this!

Overall language-wise, believe it or not, I aimed to be roughly on par with FF7's NA release.*

Not sure how I would classify the original Daryl taunt, as FF6j does use a literal word for buttocks. From what I can tell, it is one of the cleaner variants of that word, which might explain GBA's "lovely behind" choice.

There could be an opportunity for a true double entendre, though -- I'm thinking "rear end".
I have been gradually going through the script again and making minor tweaks, so I'll take a closer look at this line for sure.

(09-12-2020, 07:38 PM)Rythian Wrote: I just climbed the Fanatic's Tower with Molulu's Charm and noticed that I didn't have to open the secret door for the Air Anchor - it was already open. In fact, once I looted the chest and stepped to the room above and flicked the switch, the entire room below disappeared and wouldn't reopen again. It's like it was all reversed, starting open and the secret switch closed it.
(09-13-2020, 06:08 PM)advanceblog Wrote: I can also confirm the Air Anchor bug.

This appears to be an issue with LeetSketcher's "Map Mishap" bugfix. I have notified LeetSketcher, and will be investigating further as well.
Update: Found the bug.

(09-12-2020, 07:38 PM)Rythian Wrote: I also saw the Debilitator gibberish message, but that's already been reported.
Turns out I'm missing a null terminator on "Now weak against water!" ... Finger

(09-13-2020, 06:08 PM)advanceblog Wrote: There is a bug with the new status menu. If L/R is pressed to switch from a character with normal status to a character that is KOed or has some other status, the class-name of the previous character is partially visible.

This should be fixed in v1.02.

*sans flagrant blasphemy.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(08-22-2020, 04:50 PM)kamesennin Wrote: So after some playing around and checking the IPS log for vivify93's patch, it looks like these bytes need to be changed:

$130544     44 bytes
$130630     90 bytes
$130750     8C bytes
$1308D0     90 bytes
$130A20     78 bytes  
$130AF8     30 bytes

Edit: It looks like vivify93's patch doesn't get the graphic 100% correct. If you compare it side by side with a clean Japanese rom, the corners are a bit off. On the left is patched USA, with clean Japanese on the right. I'm going to see if I can get it working, but we'll see how far I get.
Edit2: Seems like the corners must be elsewhere in any English rom that hacks in a new silence graphic since the original mute graphic was a bit smaller and didn't need those four 8x8 tiles. I've found the corresponding tiles in the FF6j rom, but I have no idea where to copy them.
[Image: GDXMhTy.png]

Hi, I'm sorry for the late reply but SilentEnigma made me aware of this. The code he suspects corrupted Total Graphics was corrected and I implemented his Silence Graphic patch to the newest version.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3813/
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to vivify93 for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (09-21-2020)

Status
Enlight
(09-21-2020, 09:51 PM)vivify93 Wrote: SilentEnigma made me aware of this. The code he suspects corrupted Total Graphics was corrected

PSA: The above is ultimately in response to kamesennin's post:

(08-22-2020, 12:59 PM)kamesennin Wrote: I tried vivify93's full graphics patch, but it didn't apply cleanly to my rom and I got some garbled monsters.

When I reviewed Total Graphics v1.00, I did not see any indication that it should cause problems with clean ROM.
However, there was some rearranged data in v1.00 that may be incompatible with some hacks.

kamesennin, depending on the nature of your project, it may be worth trying again with vivify93's v2.00 if you wanted more than just the Silence graphic.

Status
Enlight
The hack has been updated to version 1.03.
  • Fixed battle message "Gold Dragon begins storing energy..."
  • Fixed battle message "Now weak against water!"
  • Fixed overlapping character name & status icon in Lineup menu.
  • Fully restored FF6j silence graphic.
  • Made minor revisions to 38 field dialog captions.
  • Updated to C. V. Bugfix Compilation from version 1.16 to version 1.19.
    > Includes fix for the Air Anchor room switch
  • Added "Undead Fenix Down" tweak to Vanish+Doom fix (Assassin).
  • Updated "Description Disruption" from v1.0 to v1.1.
  • Improved adaptive dialog engine implementation & performance.
  • Decoupled auto-indent feature from adaptive dialog subroutine.
  • Added space between the icons and names of equipment, where possible.
Also, a new page has been added to the project site, containing partial annotations for the field dialog script as well as a link to the full script itself.

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
If the Behemoth King (living) is killed while an imp, the undead form's sprite will not appear, and the game will freeze if a Phoenix Down is used to kill the undead form. Is this an original FFIII bug?
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to advanceblog for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (10-16-2020)

Status
Enlight
Hi advanceblog, very nice catch.

I have confirmed the issue, caused by LeetSketcher's Imp Skimp patch.

I'll see what I can do!

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Ah looks like this one was caught earlier in the year as well!:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread...=imp+skimp
In case it somehow helps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't remember this patch, was it one he released on his site? I don't see it on slickproductions..

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (10-16-2020)

Status
Enlight
Imp Skimp is released on LeetSketcher's site, and it's also on Romhacking.net.

From the Readme:
Quote:The game does a lousy job of updating monsters in Imp status. The only way to change a monster's sprite to an Imp is via the Imp spell, but this always changes the sprite as long as it hits, even if the monster doesn't actually gain the status. This can happen either with immunities or with enemy Runic. Also, other spells that can grant Imp status to monsters, such as Rippler and Sour Mouth, don't update the sprite. The Pugs, if they've been turned into Imps, will revert upon stepping back despite still having Imp status. Finally, if Celes absorbs the Imp spell via Runic, she will still transform into an Imp, then abruptly change back. This patch fixes all of these bugs.

The patch periodically compares each enemy's "displayed" Imp status with its "actual" Imp status, and if the two disagree, then the displayed sprite is updated accordingly.

The problem is, sometimes the status bit for the "actual" Imp status is not up to date, leading to at least two issues:

1. The SrBehemoth fight. The undead SrBehemoth replaces the living one in the same slot, and the Imp bit never gets cleared. The undead SrBehemoth is immune to Imp. The patch runs the check, and invalidly attempts to replace the normal enemy sprite with an Imp.
  2. The Pugs fight. According to LeetSketcher, their appearance should not revert from Imp to normal whenever they step back, because they still have Imp status at the time. But the Pugs' statuses DO actually revert to normal automatically after stepping back; just not right away with the bit checked by the patch. (With the patch applied, Pugs will abruptly change from the Imp sprite to normal when the "actual" Imp status bit finally clears -- not very appealing.)
To fix the above, revert these two subroutine calls to the original:
Code:
Executes upon new enemy appearing (i.e. SrBehemoth; start of battle)
> Imp Skimp v1.4:
C1/9369: 20 1B D7    JSR $D71B
> Original FF3us v1.0:
C1/9369: 20 25 7C    JSR $257C

Executes upon enemy regenerating (i.e. Pugs; undead+Doom)
> Imp Skimp v1.4:
C1/93C5: 20 1B D7    JSR $D71B
> Original FF3us v1.0:
C1/93C5: 20 25 7C    JSR $257C

I am not sure if this removes any of the helpful functionality of the patch.
Are there any cases where a reappearing enemy is supposed to have Imp status?

An alternative fix may be to identify a more responsive bit for monsters' Imp status than the one used by the patch.

Thanks for the tip, Gi.
That thread didn't get very far with the Imp Skimp problem, but it does raise the potential issue Assassin identified with his Unaffected Rows patch -- also in ROSE via the C. V. bug-fix comp.
I will look into that next and see if Assassin's solution works. Edit: Done. Findings posted here.

Looks like I have a few places to share the above info, and hopefully get some loops closed.

Status
Enlight
The hack has been updated to version 1.04. And how!

Highlights:
  • Made revisions to 95 field dialog captions (#500 - #799 focus)
  • Updated C. V. Bug-Fix Compilation to version 1.22. Imp Skimp should be okay now.
  • Updated dash behavior to Cancel Button Dash.
  • Added Madsiur's Mini-Maps Upgrade.
  • Added nonstandard "Anti-Fix" removal patch for battle mechanics-related bug fixes. Cosmetic bug fixes generally do not apply.
  • Made "Dark World" music retention hack nonstandard; included as an add-on in the archive. [SSJ Rick: Sorry to say, the mob is probably right about this one.]
  • Tweaked a couple of enemy/item names.
95 text revisions may sound like a lot for a limited-scope review, but the differences are usually fairly subtle.
Most notable are the following:
  • Cyan's lines during the Poison scene are a little more in-the-moment and, hopefully, relatable.
  • Made a few additional tweaks to the opera libretto for better cohesion. (Yes...additional -- v1.00 tweaked it, too. Call up Distant Worlds for me, would ya?)
  • Rythian is right about #2470.
  • The final confrontation text is rearranged for visual clarity against the very busy background.
The most significant update for some may be the new "Anti-Fix" add-on patch to restore a lot of the big-name bugs from the original, including:
  • Evade
  • Psycho Cyan
  • Rippler
  • Sketch
  • Vanish+Doom
  • ...and many more (see the Readme)
Feel dirty manually adding bugs back into a bug-fixed game? You should. Enjoy!

Status
Enlight
The hack has been updated (again) to v1.05.

The new version fixes a bug that prevented Deathgaze encounters whenever the A/B button config was set to "Swapped".
The bug affected all previous ROSE versions 1.00 - 1.04.

My apologies to any players who flew around for hours in vain trying to find Deathgaze. Sweat
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • madsiur (03-29-2021)