Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Revised Old Style Edition

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
@Barren,

As @Catone alluded, FF3us was released in two versions - 1.0 and 1.1.
What you described is what you get if you use the patch on a V1.1 ROM. ROSE is only compatible with a V1.0 ROM. Hope that helps!

Side note - I just did some testing with ROSE v1.11 on real hardware, and everything is playing fine. So if anyone runs into a feature that's broken on one emulator but not another... then it's probably the emulator Tongue (Still let me know about it though!)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
it crashes at the first battle at narshe black screen
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-07-2022, 02:32 AM)hambie Wrote: it crashes at the first battle at narshe black screen

That's usually a sign of a patch made for a headered ROM applied to a headerless ROM or the opposite.

There are tools to add/remove a header such as https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/
  Find

Status
Enlight
Hi @hambie, I think the answer you are looking for is just above your post.

(08-27-2022, 12:04 PM)SilentEnigma Wrote: FF3us was released in two versions - 1.0 and 1.1.
What you described is what you get if you use the patch on a V1.1 ROM. ROSE is only compatible with a V1.0 ROM. Hope that helps!

Status
Enlight
29th anniversary of FF6, 3rd anniversary of this hack, I believe we're quite due for a rev!
The hack has been updated to version 1.12 1.13.

The biggest news is that I found a solution for the infamous SwdTech gauge mechanic that's (IMO) unintrusive enough even to put into the mainline ROSE patch. So I did.
Standalone patch coming soon. (If you're partial to Hatzen's approach, that patch should still be compatible.)

What's new:
  • Updated C. V. Bug-Fix Compilation to v2.7.
  • Added ability to switch characters from the Bushido gauge window mid-charge with X/Y Surprised
  • Made ~112 edits to the field dialog script (#1500 - #1899 focus)
Happy Palm Sunday. Hello

EDIT: A game-breaking bug with using the Item menu in battle was reported & confirmed -- likely related to the Bushido feature. (So much for "unintrusive"...) I will be fixing & posting a new rev ASAP.
Until then, v1.11 will be available for download at the project webpage.
Stay tuned!

EDIT 2: The bug has been found and (as far as I can tell) fixed -- viva la v1.13!

So, the Bushido mod currently requires 4 bytes of RAM to work. The trouble was my assumption that none of the "unused local battle variables" $7E3ECB-$7E3ED3 would be written by the vanilla game after being initialized to 00 at the start of battle. Unfortunately, I chose $3ECB - $3ECE for my 4 bytes, and $3ECB & $3ECC do get written whenever the player accesses the equipment swap window.
Version 1.13 uses $3ED0 - $3ED3, which appear to be working out better. In the long term, we'll see!
If anyone knows of a better place to add a 4-byte array in battle, especially for the upcoming standalone patch, I am open to suggestions.

EDIT 3:
Welp, coming full circle...
Was doing a little R&D for future revs and realized that those $3ECB & $3ECC bytes are getting written... by yours truly. Not vanilla. It's for the vertical equipment swap layout. Sweat

Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(08-25-2022, 04:59 PM)Barren Wrote: Hi, I'm trying to play this rom on the snes 9x emulator on my Wii and for whatever reason, when I enter the first battle the screen goes blank. It doesn't crash the emulator but I can't play any further.

I did make sure to download the latest version of the rom hack and the clean rom beforehand. I downloaded the rom off of Vimm's lair if that helps.

@Barren can confirm Vimm's uses v1.1
  Find

Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Hi! I've been playing this version as my first playthrough of the game in quite a while (at least 10 years)!

I didn't remember how to do the Pummel/Raging Fist input in the Vargas fight. Normally there is a dialogue where Sabin remembers his training and explains how to do the input; however, that just never happened. At the start of that dialogue Vargas should say something along the lines of "Time to end this!" -- instead Vargas just loops his dialogue forever.

I'm not sure if this is specific to this translation patch or is in the base version of this game. I'm also not sure if this is being triggered by some weird condition in the battle. I will double check from my save file at the battle again tomorrow.

It seems as if I can progress anyway by just doing the input, but to the inexperienced player, this would be an issue.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to protopizza for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (10-08-2023)

Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Double checked and tested again by loading from the save, it consistently has Vargas looping at the "Come on! What's the matter?" dialogue in the Sabin 1v1 until the timer runs out. I ended up just progressing by doing the Raging Fist input.
  Find

Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
I've been meaning to play this game for quite some time now and accidentally stumbled upon the world of ROM hacking. This has been the most definite version of playing FF6 for me. The amount of bug fixing and script revising has been fantastic. I took a peek at your website just to see the amount of work that has been done to retouch the script and wow, it's a lot!

I know some people has high regard for the Woolseyism of the original game but seeing as I didn't really play the original back then, I was perfectly fine with this. I tried playing other romhacks of this game but I always miss the way dialogue flows from this one. I'm sure I'll get over it one day, heh.

I do have a minor nitpick, nothing game breaking and I'm sure that it might be present on the original US release:

When re-visiting Zozo after "rescuing" Terra, talking to the man near the Inn will trigger the same dialogue even when Terra is your controlled party member.

Quote:Man: "A girl flew up to the top floor, right in front of my eyes!"
PC: "Flew...? It must be Terra!"
Lastly, like protopizza said above me, during the Vargas fight with Sabin, it wouldn't teach me how to use the Raging Fist input.
In any case, thank you for this wonderful hack. I can see why some consider FF6 their favorite. Cheers.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Xezcente for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (10-08-2023)

Status
Enlight
(10-03-2023, 06:10 AM)protopizza Wrote: Normally there is a dialogue where Sabin remembers his training and explains how to do the input; however, that just never happened. At the start of that dialogue Vargas should say something along the lines of "Time to end this!" -- instead Vargas just loops his dialogue forever.

Thanks for reporting this. It was also reported to me privately a few weeks ago.
The fix will be in the next release which is coming very soon.

My apologies to you and any FF6 newcomers who got unnecessarily stumped during that fight. Cover

(10-04-2023, 11:10 PM)Xezcente Wrote: When re-visiting Zozo after "rescuing" Terra, talking to the man near the Inn will trigger the same dialogue even when Terra is your controlled party member.

Quote:Man: "A girl flew up to the top floor, right in front of my eyes!"
PC: "Flew...? It must be Terra!"
Lastly, like protopizza said above me, during the Vargas fight with Sabin, it wouldn't teach me how to use the Raging Fist input.
In any case, thank you for this wonderful hack. I can see why some consider FF6 their favorite. Cheers.

Thanks for your kind words & feedback!
I'll take another look at how that line is programmed for the next release.
(The line is really only appropriate prior to Terra being "rescued", regardless of who's in the party.)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Xezcente (10-10-2023)