Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
If you fixed the rippler bug in your mod it would be normal that you don't gain the dog block status with any character; this would seem more logical than assuming fedora joe did something that prevent another thing nowhere found in the game code to happen.
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(10-21-2018, 03:51 PM)madsiur Wrote: If you fixed the rippler bug in your mod it would be normal that you don't gain the dog block status with any character; this would seem more logical than assuming fedora joe did something that prevent another thing nowhere found in the game code to happen.

Just to be clear, I never thought it was something fedorajoe did.  If anything, I thought I broke something along the way with all my bug fixes and hacks added.  Either way, it's possible my memory is incorrect with interceptor and Relm. I just find it very curious is all, especially since the Wiki also got it wrong in this case.  I have found threads on this topic with other people who remember getting interceptor with Relm, but there was no real conclusion in those threads. Maybe one day I will perform another playthrough on a 1.0 ROM that lets Shadow die, but for now I will just go with what you are saying since you are the coder and probably know better than me!

Edit: Does anyone know how to hex edit a save file to give Relm the dog block status? I'm guessing this is a single byte somewhere, and I am comfortable editing it myself if someone can just point me to the correct block of code.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-21-2018, 04:02 PM)Lightning Wrote: I just find it very curious is all, especially since the Wiki also got it wrong in this case.  I have found threads on this topic with other people who remember getting interceptor with Relm, but there was no real conclusion in those threads.

I've seen the info in 2 or 3 places on the web but it just seems something that may have been carried over from a inexact source, and spread that way. I'm not 100% sure I am right, but if it's not the case it is not done in the game in the way you'd expect it to be (event code). What is not likely is that you broke by mistake the dog block on Relm IMO.

(10-21-2018, 04:02 PM)Lightning Wrote: Does anyone know how to hex edit a save file to give Relm the dog block status?  I'm guessing this is a single byte somewhere, and I am comfortable editing it myself if someone can just point me to the correct block of code.

RAM $1600-$1FFF ($0A00 bytes) is your save slot. The save file is 3 copies of this, plus and extra common $200 bytes making the total of $2000 bytes. So you have slot 1 at $0000-$09FF, slot 2 at $0A00-$13FF and slot 3 at $1400-$1DFF.

At RAM $1600 (in regular RAM not the savefile) you have $25 byte per character with all their info. So doing $25 * 8 (Relm ID) = $128. RAM $1615 is you status byte for Terra so you add $15 to $128 = $13D. So the Relm status byte is at $173D in regular RAM, $013D in slot 1, $0B3D in slot 2 and $153D in slot 3 of the savefile.

The interceptor bit is bit 6 ($40) so the easiest way to set this is adding $40 to the current byte value. For a status that could be toggled, you'd need to check if it is set first by that can't happend here. I hope my calculations were right! *cross fingers*
  Find

Status
None
(10-21-2018, 10:08 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:02 PM)Lightning Wrote: I just find it very curious is all, especially since the Wiki also got it wrong in this case.  I have found threads on this topic with other people who remember getting interceptor with Relm, but there was no real conclusion in those threads.

I've seen the info in 2 or 3 places on the web but it just seems something that may have been carried over from a inexact source, and spread that way. I'm not 100% sure I am right, but if it's not the case it is not done in the game in the way you'd expect it to be (event code). What is not likely is that you broke by mistake the dog block on Relm IMO.

(10-21-2018, 04:02 PM)Lightning Wrote: Does anyone know how to hex edit a save file to give Relm the dog block status?  I'm guessing this is a single byte somewhere, and I am comfortable editing it myself if someone can just point me to the correct block of code.

RAM $1600-$1FFF ($0A00 bytes) is your save slot. The save file is 3 copies of this, plus and extra common $200 bytes making the total of $2000 bytes. So you have slot 1 at $0000-$09FF, slot 2 at $0A00-$13FF and slot 3 at $1400-$1DFF.

At RAM $1600 (in regular RAM not the savefile) you have $25 byte per character with all their info. So doing $25 * 8 (Relm ID) = $128. RAM $1615 is you status byte for Terra so you add $15 to $128 = $13D. So the Relm status byte is at $173D in regular RAM, $013D in slot 1, $0B3D in slot 2 and $153D in slot 3 of the savefile.

The interceptor bit is bit 6 ($40) so the easiest way to set this is adding $40 to the current byte value. For a status that could be toggled, you'd need to check if it is set first by that can't happend here. I hope my calculations were right! *cross fingers*

Ok, I stared at this for an hour in an attempt to not ask more questions (trying to learn), but I am confused what to do with "$40".  I now understand where all the save slots are, and I understand that Relm's status is at $013D in save slot 1.  However, when you say add $40, do you mean I change the "00" found at $013D to "40", or do I add $40 to $013D, which now makes the location $017D?

I tried tinkering with it by changing the 00 to 40, but the save no longer appeared in-game.  I wasn't sure what else to try beyond that.

Edit: Ok, so I took a look at 013d with Relm on another save file in which she has dog block applied, and there was indeed a 40 there instead of 00. However, when I edit my own save file and put the 40 there, the save no longer appears in-game; it is completely blank. I am guessing there is some other value that has to be changed somewhere in this case.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-21-2018, 11:23 PM)Lightning Wrote: Ok, so I took a look at 013d with Relm on another save file in which she has dog block applied, and there was indeed a 40 there instead of 00.  However, when I edit my own save file and put the 40 there, the save no longer appears in-game; it is completely blank.  I am guessing there is some other value that has to be changed somewhere in this case.

I forgot, there is a checksum for the save file. If you change a byte the checksum is no longer valid so the game do not show that save. What you could do is edit while you play $00173D or $7E173D in the RAM viewer of bsnes+ or snes9x debugger and then save your game.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Lightning (10-22-2018)

Status
None
(10-22-2018, 12:07 AM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 11:23 PM)Lightning Wrote: Ok, so I took a look at 013d with Relm on another save file in which she has dog block applied, and there was indeed a 40 there instead of 00.  However, when I edit my own save file and put the 40 there, the save no longer appears in-game; it is completely blank.  I am guessing there is some other value that has to be changed somewhere in this case.

I forgot, there is a checksum for the save file. If you change a byte the checksum is no longer valid so the game do not show that save. What you could do is edit while you play $00173D or $7E173D in the RAM viewer of bsnes+ or snes9x debugger and then save your game.

Hah, that surprisingly did the trick, thanks!  I couldn't find the debugger of Snes9x or the RAM viewer of bsnes, but I easily found a memory viewer in SnesGT (which is my favorite emulator for testing).  After modifying that byte, saving the game, and transferring it to my Everdrive - Relm now has the dog without me losing hours of progress.  Smile
  Find

Status
None
Does anyone know how to change the music of a formation to a new song that I imported? Is this like a single byte somewhere with the music ID, or is it much more involved? I was thinking of using some of the new boss tracks I imported for various bosses in the game. I know FF3usME allows you to switch battle tracks, but it does not have an option for new tracks that have been imported.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-24-2018, 02:43 PM)Lightning Wrote: Does anyone know how to change the music of a formation to a new song that I imported?

The song table is in this post.
  Find

Status
None
Darn, so there isn't just a large list of formation information stored with a song ID to play for each. I figured I wouldn't get so lucky! I didn't put 2 and 2 together that your random battle theme code also had to do with monster formations. That assembly code goes right over my head for the most part, but maybe I will just use your random boss theme code instead.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
What I did to have different music for different boss battles, is uncheck the Play Song flag there in the formation editor, so it plays nothing, then sneak in a play song X command in the event code right before the battle initiates. It's not as legit as it could be to expand the song table, and there's a super tiny bit of lag when the battle starts, because it's loading the song to play, but when you have a ton of songs to put in different formations, it gets the job done! Just a little tedious doing a jump to free space so many times, to make the 2-3 bytes of space needed for the command.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.