Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Requests for Help

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Shell
You have to pair a JSR with RTS and JSL with RTL. Since the subroutine gets called both from within C2 and from another bank, it needs paths for both.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Subtraction for this post:
  • PowerPanda (05-11-2021)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hey Subtraction, I have a question on this section of the code:

Code:
check_break:
PHA
PHP
JSR $2B63      ;  Multiply A by 30, size of item data block
REP #$10       ;  Set 16-bit X and Y
TAX
LDA $D85012,X  ;  equipment spell byte.  Bit 7: 1 = remove from inventory upon usage, 0 = nope
BPL no_break   ;  if the flag is not set, this tool never breaks
JSR $4B5A
AND #$1F       ;  1/32 chance of breaking
BNE no_break
LDA #$44       ;  "Orge Nix broke!" dialog. Works for most tools but gets clobbered by the Air Anchor "Move and you're dust!"
STA $3401      
SEP #$10       ;  Set 8-bit X and Y
TYX
LDA #$FF
STA $32F4,X    ;  null item index to add to inventory. This means the item will stay deducted from your inventory.
LDA $3018,X
BRA check_break_end

Specifically:
JSR $4B5A

With it saying #$1F, does that mean that it's actually breaking 1/8th of the time? I was expecting "AND #$05". Reports from players have their tools breaking multiple times before they even hit the Returner's hideout.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Shell
(05-14-2021, 12:41 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Hey Subtraction, I have a question on this section of the code:

Specifically:
JSR $4B5A

With it saying #$1F, does that mean that it's actually breaking 1/8th of the time? I was expecting "AND #$05". Reports from players have their tools breaking multiple times before they even hit the Returner's hideout.

No, AND #$05 would be a 1/8 chance. In fact, when I was testing this, it was taking too long for tools to break, so I changed it to AND #$03 to make them break more frequently.

JSR $4B5A sets the accumulator to a pseudo-random number, 0–255
AND #$1F clears the top 3 bits, making it a pseudo-random number from 0–31. If the number is now 0, it sets the Zero flag; otherwise it clears the Zero flag.
BNE branches if the Zero flag is clear.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
For what it’s worth 1/32 sounds like a lot to me. A big dungeon might cause multiple breaks. If breakage is rare it might be more impactful because people forget to account for it.
  Find

Status
None
Alternate idea (perhaps more appropriate for Setzer): make tool use cost gil, and make the cost determined by something similar to the damage formula.