Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(10-25-2018, 08:15 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: What I did to have different music for different boss battles, is uncheck the Play Song flag there in the formation editor, so it plays nothing, then sneak in a play song X command in the event code right before the battle initiates. It's not as legit as it could be to expand the song table, and there's a super tiny bit of lag when the battle starts, because it's loading the song to play, but when you have a ton of songs to put in different formations, it gets the job done! Just a little tedious doing a jump to free space so many times, to make the 2-3 bytes of space needed for the command.

That sounds like something I might be able to manage, but can you help get me started? If you have the time, of course.  If I manage to perform this task on one boss, then I'm sure I can do more.  I looked at the event dump for the dragons for example, but I'm not exactly sure which file they are in (I tried looking through various documents here, but only managed to find the script where it says "8 dragons left" in the event script file. 

To get me started, it might be useful to see how the code looks for a battle being triggered and what to relocate with the B2 command, and how the new code might look to play a song.  I can probably figure out the rest!
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
Basically it's done by going into the Level Editor to locate either the NPC or event trigger of the boss (depends on how the battle is triggered, such as Atma Weapon on the Floating Continent map where you must talk to him to initiate the battle) and finding what the offset is for the event code associated with it, it'll show this offset when you select it, among other info. It helps to remove the header before going into the Level Editor to get the exact offset without having to factor in the +200 for offsets. Then once you know the address you can use the event dump and navigate right to that, as well as see the breakdown of the whole event code dealing with the battle.

You'd then do the jump to free space technique and add the play song command of F0 XX, making sure it's right before the battle to make it as seamless as possible. Depending on the boss battle, you may wind up needing to relocate the whole thing if it starts right off with the 'Invoke battle', it depends.

I think I'll work on a small guide, with some pics and elaboration on what I'm about to go into, but for now here is a brief breakdown of Atma Weapon to give you an idea.

Step 1) Go into the Level Editor (headerless ROM) and go to the map with Atma Weapon on it:
[$18A] Floating Continent, Outside

Step 2) Enable at the top the NPCs to be shown (View>NPCs). Then, under the map name you'll see 'NPCS', so click on that tab. Then locate the NPC that is Atma Weapon on the map. Atma is NPC #0 here, which is actually going to be NPC $10 in the event/hex... Anyways, select Atma, NPC #0, and you'll see there in the little window labeled 'Event' the event address associated with this battle. It is DA30. That is going to be address CA/DA30. If it was 1DA30 it'd be CB/DA30. And if it was 2B/DA30 it'd be CC/DA30. These are the three event code banks. So, since this is DA30, it is CA/DA30.

Step 3) Make ready your hex editor with event dump document in hand and go to CA/DA30. You will see the event code there for the Atma Weapon battle...okay I need to stop here, because looking at your ROM/Gen. Leo Edition I see that fedorajoe made an edit to this exact event already, my guess to deal with something Shadow-related. You can see at CA/DA2F that he does a B2 jump: B2 A4 0D 02, which is address CC/0DA4 (the 02 is bank CC and first and last bytes are reversed, so a jump to CC0DA4 in hex would be B2 A4 0D 02...confusing shit, I know.) so going there he has the relocated code for the battle, and a bunch of free space afterwords. So he already did the work for us in this case lol, you'd just need to put the play song command there before the 4D 50 3F (Invoke battle, enemy set $50, background $3F) and move his code 2 bytes further ahead.

All this is pretty damn challenging to explain and depict over typing... please ask questions about anything and I or others can try to elaborate. There's things I did not explain like how to 'display offset as SNES HiROM' if your using WindHex that is, in order to see the bank of the offset, which can help when first starting to understand the correlation between bank and address/offset. And I'm beginning to ramble so I should stop for now lol.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Lightning (10-26-2018)

Status
None
(10-26-2018, 04:18 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Basically it's done by going into the Level Editor to locate either the NPC or event trigger of the boss (depends on how the battle is triggered, such as Atma Weapon on the Floating Continent map where you must talk to him to initiate the battle) and finding what the offset is for the event code associated with it, it'll show this offset when you select it, among other info. It helps to remove the header before going into the Level Editor to get the exact offset without having to factor in the +200 for offsets. Then once you know the address you can use the event dump and navigate right to that, as well as see the breakdown of the whole event code dealing with the battle.

You'd then do the jump to free space technique and add the play song command of F0 XX, making sure it's right before the battle to make it as seamless as possible. Depending on the boss battle, you may wind up needing to relocate the whole thing if it starts right off with the 'Invoke battle', it depends.

I think I'll work on a small guide, with some pics and elaboration on what I'm about to go into, but for now here is a brief breakdown of Atma Weapon to give you an idea.

Step 1) Go into the Level Editor (headerless ROM) and go to the map with Atma Weapon on it:

Step 2) Enable at the top the NPCs to be shown (View>NPCs). Then, under the map name you'll see 'NPCS', so click on that tab. Then locate the NPC that is Atma Weapon on the map. Atma is NPC #0 here, which is actually going to be NPC $10 in the event/hex... Anyways, select Atma, NPC #0, and you'll see there in the little window labeled 'Event' the event address associated with this battle. It is DA30. That is going to be address CA/DA30. If it was 1DA30 it'd be CB/DA30. And if it was 2B/DA30 it'd be CC/DA30. These are the three event code banks. So, since this is DA30, it is CA/DA30.

Step 3) Make ready your hex editor with event dump document in hand and go to CA/DA30. You will see the event code there for the Atma Weapon battle...okay I need to stop here, because looking at your ROM/Gen. Leo Edition I see that fedorajoe made an edit to this exact event already, my guess to deal with something Shadow-related. You can see at CA/DA2F that he does a B2 jump: B2 A4 0D 02, which is address CC/0DA4 (the 02 is bank CC and first and last bytes are reversed, so a jump to CC0DA4 in hex would be B2 A4 0D 02...confusing shit, I know.) so going there he has the relocated code for the battle, and a bunch of free space afterwords. So he already did the work for us in this case lol, you'd just need to put the play song command there before the 4D 50 3F (Invoke battle, enemy set $50, background $3F) and move his code 2 bytes further ahead.

All this is pretty damn challenging to explain and depict over typing... please ask questions about anything and I or others can try to elaborate. There's things I did not explain like how to 'display offset as SNES HiROM' if your using WindHex that is, in order to see the bank of the offset, which can help when first starting to understand the correlation between bank and address/offset. And I'm beginning to ramble so I should stop for now lol.

Thanks Gi Nattak, you da man!  I will see what I can do after I finish work today.  It is actually helpful that fedorajoe already moved the Atma weapon event, since I can study what he did and duplicate it for other events (like the Atma encounter in Kefka's tower as well). 

Don't worry about the headers and offset display stuff, as I am well beyond that now - at least I hope so.  Lol.  I have already managed to move the instrument code and music code in order to add dozens of new songs/instruments - so I think I am at least somewhat competent at doing some of this stuff now!

Edit: well, I successfully added the F0 XX command to the already moved ATMA code, so your tutorial so far is working. Now I need to do the hard part and find more events to move and tweak! I think I'll start with the ATMA encounter in Kefka's tower. Smile I meant to ask, when you use the B2 jump command, do you have to end that set of code with another command that goes back to the original position, or does the game automatically do that?
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(10-26-2018, 06:09 PM)Lightning Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 04:18 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Basically it's done by going into the Level Editor to locate either the NPC or event trigger of the boss (depends on how the battle is triggered, such as Atma Weapon on the Floating Continent map where you must talk to him to initiate the battle) and finding what the offset is for the event code associated with it, it'll show this offset when you select it, among other info. It helps to remove the header before going into the Level Editor to get the exact offset without having to factor in the +200 for offsets. Then once you know the address you can use the event dump and navigate right to that, as well as see the breakdown of the whole event code dealing with the battle.

well, I successfully added the F0 XX command to the already moved ATMA code, so your tutorial so far is working.  Now I need to do the hard part and find more events to move and tweak!  I think I'll start with the ATMA encounter in Kefka's tower. Smile  I meant to ask, when you use the B2 jump command, do you have to end that set of code with another command that goes back to the original position, or does the game automatically do that?

Good stuff!

After using B2 to jump to another address, usually you will just need to put an FE byte at the end of the code, this will tell it to Return back to the code directly AFTER the B2 jump command. Always have an FE at the end of your code or it will crash. Usually an FE is all that's needed, but, sometimes, depending on what's going on exactly with the event code, you'll wind up having to do a B2 jump back instead of just an FE. I forget the exact circumstances where this is needed, but I do remember having to do it sometimes or else the event would be on a loop or something terrible. But still remember to put an FE at the end regardless. ALSO, sometimes, again depending on what exactly the event code entails, you'll have to move the whole entire event code to the new spot so it can run completely without having any jumps at all, or the event will loop and loop forever. So keep this in mind if you ever have that happening.

Status
None
(10-26-2018, 10:33 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:

well, I successfully added the F0 XX command to the already moved ATMA code, so your tutorial so far is working.  Now I need to do the hard part and find more events to move and tweak!  I think I'll start with the ATMA encounter in Kefka's tower. Smile  I meant to ask, when you use the B2 jump command, do you have to end that set of code with another command that goes back to the original position, or does the game automatically do that?

Good stuff!

After using B2 to jump to another address, usually you will just need to put an FE byte at the end of the code, this will tell it to Return back to the code directly AFTER the B2 jump command. Always have an FE at the end of your code or it will crash. Usually an FE is all that's needed, but, sometimes, depending on what's going on exactly with the event code, you'll wind up having to do a B2 jump back instead of just an FE. I forget the exact circumstances where this is needed, but I do remember having to do it sometimes or else the event would be on a loop or something terrible. But still remember to put an FE at the end regardless. ALSO, sometimes, again depending on what exactly the event code entails, you'll have to move the whole entire event code to the new spot so it can run completely without having any jumps at all, or the event will loop and loop forever. So keep this in mind if you ever have that happening.

Ok, good to know.  By the way, I'm starting to wonder if both of the "current" tracks can be replaced.  I noticed that if you uncheck the "play music" box in FF3usME, it has the same effect as selecting either of the "current" boxes.  Does this mean I possibly have two tracks to play with, or will this break something?  I will do some testing to find out, unless you know a reason I should not replace them both!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(10-26-2018, 11:25 PM)Lightning Wrote:

Good stuff!

Ok, good to know.  By the way, I'm starting to wonder if both of the "current" tracks can be replaced.  I noticed that if you uncheck the "play music" box in FF3usME, it has the same effect as selecting either of the "current" boxes.  Does this mean I possibly have two tracks to play with, or will this break something?  I will do some testing to find out, unless you know a reason I should not replace them both!

Hmm, I think it could be... I forget why exactly I have one of the "Current" around myself, I mean I see I've used it on formations where I want whatever song was playing to keep on playing, but like you say just unchecking the play music flag would seemingly do the same thing. I can't imagine though I'd have missed out on having another free song pointer, but it certainly looks that way... More testing is indeed required to see what exactly the Current flag could be used for, I can look into it as well on my side which have formations I've used it on.

EDIT: I see in the Vanilla game Current is really just used for Final Kefka and the Tower boss thing right before him, because the way his whole final battle music medley is done for Dancing Mad. That may be the whole reason right there... I'd start with testing Final Kefka without the Current flag and no Play music flag and see what happens. I suspect Current is used for special circumstances like that, and maybe battle events that change the song.

Status
None
(10-26-2018, 11:42 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:25 PM)Lightning Wrote:

Good stuff!

Hmm, I think it could be... I forget why exactly I have one of the "Current" around myself, I mean I see I've used it on formations where I want whatever song was playing to keep on playing, but like you say just unchecking the play music flag would seemingly do the same thing. I can't imagine though I'd have missed out on having another free song pointer, but it certainly looks that way... More testing is indeed required to see what exactly the Current flag could be used for, I can look into it as well on my side which have formations I've used it on.

EDIT: I see in the Vanilla game Current is really just used for Final Kefka and the Tower boss thing right before him, because the way his whole final battle music medley is done for Dancing Mad. That may be the whole reason right there... I'd start with testing Final Kefka without the Current flag and no Play music flag and see what happens. I suspect Current is used for special circumstances like that, and maybe battle events that change the song.

Ok, so I turned off the "play music" flag on the 2 Tiers prior to Kefka and Kefka himself, only leaving the "final part 1" music set with the first Tier (as it should be).  I didn't encounter any problems whatsoever!  Each Tier changed the music as it was supposed to - with the 4 different parts, including the final music for Kefka himself (I would know, because these tracks are my favorite and I've heard them a hundred times).  I guess this means we can change both the "current" tracks and use them for whatever we want!  We just have to change all the formations with "current" to no "play music" flag instead. Smile
  Find

Status
None
Does anyone know how to reduce the success rate of the Cleave Swdtech? I dont see it in FF3usME. 100% kill rate is extreme in my hack since the Swdtech bar is now sped up.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Spell ID 92, you simply have to change the success rate to the desired rate.

Find

Status
None
(11-02-2018, 09:50 AM)Warrax Wrote: Spell ID 92, you simply have to change the success rate to the desired rate.

Lol, I never knew those blank spaces in FF3usME were Swdtech moves...  Thanks!
  Find