Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(10-20-2018, 02:51 PM)Lightning Wrote: I am ptetty sure Relm is protected by interceptor in vanilla FF3 if you let Shadow die!

Yep I confirm this is the case. IIRC Shadow was replaced by Leo isn't? so that could explain the differences.
Nevermind!

Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(10-20-2018, 03:13 PM)Warrax Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 02:51 PM)Lightning Wrote: I am ptetty sure Relm is protected by interceptor in vanilla FF3 if you let Shadow die!

Yep I confirm this is the case. IIRC Shadow was replaced by Leo isn't? so that could explain the differences.

I guess the game has been fooled in to thinking Shadow is still alive, so maybe the check to see if Shadow is alive or not needs to be removed.  It kind of stinks not having interceptor at all!

And ugh, ignore my stupid typos from making that post on my phone...
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Wow this is news to me, about Intercepter status going to Relm if Shadow is left behind! I never noticed that, well probably because I never left shadow lol.

It's especially weird though because I'm not seeing where this is done at all in the event code... Dog block is seemingly never given to Relm at any point or circumstance, so I'm at a loss how it's done unless it's handled outside of event code for some crazy reason...?

In my hack I actually manually added the status to Relm, both in the WoB and WoR when she is recruited, and I remember it being somewhat tricky for some reason, I guess because I coded it so that you have to save Shadow first, and there's some different stipulations regarding that... though, it's not hard at all really per say - you just need to give Relm intercepter status somewhere in the event code:
89 Inflict the following status ailments on character $08 (Actor in stot 8): Dog Block
The hex for this being 89 08 00 40.

You can probably do this yourself if you grab a copy of the event dump document and find the spot where Relm is recruited, then add this code in. You'll need to do a jump to some free space most likely, as to not have to remove any code to make room. Jump command is B2 XX YY ZZ. So for instance if you want to jump to free space at F1/5000, you'd do a B2 00 50 31 (first and last byte of offset are reversed), then put the code there and whatever you removed to make room for the jump, then at the end put a FE command/byte (returns to previous code) and you're good to go! This is assuming you'd like to learn a bit of event hacking so you can do some things like this in the future without requiring someone to do it. If you really aren't interested in doing it yourself, then I can do it for you, but it seems like you like to learn and do things yourself if possible. Smile

Can get the event dump document here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...s:doc:game
you'll have to search for words associated with the event in question to find where you want to edit.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Forget my confirmation, I completely misunderstood...I thought you were talking about the event where Interceptor "protects" Relm when SrBehemoth appear in the Cave of Veldt. I only left Shadow dies on my very first playthrough back in the days so I'm not familiar with a Shadow-less WOR. My bad.

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-20-2018, 04:48 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: So for instance if you want to jump to free space at F1/5000, you'd do a B2 00 50 31 (first and last byte of offset are reversed), then put the code there and whatever you removed to make room for the jump, then at the end put a FE command/byte (returns to previous code) and you're good to go!

Event calls are calculated from bank $CA. So you want to do $F1 - $CA = $27. Your B2 command here would be B2 00 50 27.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Haha right you are! *brainfart*

Status
None
(10-20-2018, 04:48 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Wow this is news to me, about Intercepter status going to Relm if Shadow is left behind! I never noticed that, well probably because I never left shadow lol.

It's especially weird though because I'm not seeing where this is done at all in the event code... Dog block is seemingly never given to Relm at any point or circumstance, so I'm at a loss how it's done unless it's handled outside of event code for some crazy reason...?

In my hack I actually manually added the status to Relm, both in the WoB and WoR when she is recruited, and I remember it being somewhat tricky for some reason, I guess because I coded it so that you have to save Shadow first, and there's some different stipulations regarding that... though, it's not hard at all really per say - you just need to give Relm intercepter status somewhere in the event code:
89    Inflict the following status ailments on character $08 (Actor in stot 8): Dog Block

You can probably do this yourself if you grab a copy of the event dump document and find the spot where Relm is recruited, then add this code in. You'll need to do a jump to some free space most likely, as to not have to remove any code to make room. Jump command is B2 XX YY ZZ. So for instance if you want to jump to free space at F1/5000, you'd do a B2 00 50 31 (first and last byte of offset are reversed), then put the code there and whatever you removed to make room for the jump, then at the end put a FE command/byte (returns to previous code) and you're good to go! This is assuming you'd like to learn a bit of event hacking so you can do some things like this in the future without requiring someone to do it. If you really aren't interested in doing it yourself, then I can do it for you, but it seems like you like to learn and do things yourself if possible. Smile

Can get the event dump document here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...s:doc:game
you'll have to search for words associated with the event in question to find where you want to edit.

Thanks Gi Nattak, I will look through it and see if I can figure anything out.  If I can't then I will send you a PM.  I was never actually very good at coding (code is like Math, which is my weak point), but I always find the need for coding when I get ambitious while modding any game - so I force myself at times!

Edit: By the way, I only knew about Relm being protected by interceptor, because when I was a kid we didn't really have the internet yet, and I'm sure we lacked that issue of Nintendo power - so we would just leave Shadow behind thinking he was doomed no matter what. Of course, I was like 10 at that time. Lol.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(10-20-2018, 07:09 PM)Lightning Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 04:48 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Wow this is news to me, about Intercepter status going to Relm if Shadow is left behind! I never noticed that, well probably because I never left shadow lol.

89    Inflict the following status ailments on character $08 (Actor in stot 8): Dog Block

Thanks Gi Nattak, I will look through it and see if I can figure anything out.  If I can't then I will send you a PM.  I was never actually very good at coding (code is like Math, which is my weak point), but I always find the need for coding when I get ambitious while modding any game - so I force myself at times!

Edit: By the way, I only knew about Relm being protected by interceptor, because when I was a kid we didn't really have the internet yet, and I'm sure we lacked that issue of Nintendo power - so we would just leave Shadow behind thinking he was doomed no matter what.  Of course, I was like 10 at that time.  Lol.

Thankfully event coding is much more user friendly than actual coding like assembly, that's on a whole...other...level. Event code editing is something that can be picked up rather easily, thanks to the event dump of course.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-20-2018, 02:51 PM)Lightning Wrote: I am pretty sure Relm is protected by interceptor in vanilla FF3 if you let Shadow die!

I think it is a bug. There is no trace in the event code of the dog block status being inflicted to Relm. I've checked the floating continent event ($CA48C1) and Owzer's Mansion event ($CB4CFA) and did a keyword search through all the event dump. I also checked bank $C2 and the event bit document. The rippler bug can give the dog block to another character, see https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/554...i/62281425.
  Find

Status
None
(10-21-2018, 02:19 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 02:51 PM)Lightning Wrote: I am pretty sure Relm is protected by interceptor in vanilla FF3 if you let Shadow die!

I think it is a bug. There is no trace in the event code of the dog block status being inflicted to Relm. I've checked the floating continent event ($CA48C1) and Owzer's Mansion event ($CB4CFA) and did a keyword search through all the event dump. I also checked bank $C2 and the event bit document. The rippler bug can give the dog block to another character, see https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/554...i/62281425.

That's odd, because I clearly remember Relm being protected by interceptor back in the day.  I am familiar with the Rippler bug (I fixed it in my mod), but what are the chances that I would accidentally encounter that bug and have the dog given to Relm as opposed to someone else?  Also, the wiki says that the party gains interceptor with Relm after the events at Owzer's mansion if you let Shadow die (scroll to the bottom of the "story" section):
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Inter...antasy_VI)

Is there possibly version differences between 1.0 and 1.1?  Or is my memory and the wiki completely incorrect? Either way, this is very, very strange...
  Find