Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Advance Hacking: Event Trigger Problems?

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I was wondering, has anyone here tried to edit the Advance version of FF6 much? And if so, did you then have any problem's in the Dragon's Den? Or really, anywhere else, with events not triggering correctly?

I made a small romhack with FF6Tools for my own amusement....
Really nothing major. I replaced a couple sprites and "job titles" and I used a hex editor to change some sprite palettes. I have another thread here in this forum detailing that fun. Probably right below this one.

I went to the Dragon's Den and fought the first dragon, the Ice Dragon. After the battle, it said the Ice Dragon was defeated, and then did the thing where it shows the blocked off areas and says "the barrier has been destroyed" or whatever...
But the Ice Dragon and the barriers remained on the map, and completely impassable. Therefore I could not continue on.

Sometimes switching parties would glitch the screen and render it impossible to move, and you would have to keep switching to get it back to normal.

I also noticed that in the Coliseum, there was a piece of magicite in the middle of the room that could not be picked up. It feels like somehow everything that relates to events got messed up, and I didn't edit any of those.

Could it have to do with the message that comes up when you load a ROM in FF6Tools asking if you want to move data in the rom around? Or the method in which I saved the ROM? I don't think the hex editing did it. Of course, I do plan to experiment and try to figure out what part of the process got things fucked up, but I was hoping somebody here might know something already.

I'm using a save game from GameFaqs to test this stuff, and I can confirm that the save game works perfectly fine on an unmodified ROM. None of these issues occur, so its not the save.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-03-2022, 09:03 PM)LM008 Wrote: Could it have to do with the message that comes up when you load a ROM in FF6Tools asking if you want to move data in the rom around? Or the method in which I saved the ROM? I don't think the hex editing did it. Of course, I do plan to experiment and try to figure out what part of the process got things fucked up, but I was hoping somebody here might know something already.

You could try just moving the data with FF6Tools and see if those problems are present.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I gave that a try, yes, and it seems to have worked.
When you load a GBA rom in FF6Tools it tells you that you should rearrange the triggers because some of them are stored separate from the others and that its better to do that if you wish to modify them. But it seems like that just breaks every trigger in the game. That's something the creator of FF6Tools might want to look into.

I thought also that maybe the way you save the ROM after has something to do with it, but I can't tell for sure. The only way I get the different options to save the ROM different ways is when I move the triggers. I believe if I edited the ROM enough to make it bigger it would probably give me the different save options, but as it is, I can never really do enough to necessitate it doing that. It just always saves what seems to be the best, default way during my own editing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-05-2022, 11:24 AM)LM008 Wrote: I gave that a try, yes, and it seems to have worked.
When you load a GBA rom in FF6Tools it tells you that you should rearrange the triggers because some of them are stored separate from the others and that its better to do that if you wish to modify them. But it seems like that just breaks every trigger in the game. That's something the creator of FF6Tools might want to look into.

I'll let him know!
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hi, thanks for the heads up. Most of the GBA triggers and npcs are stored separately from the vanilla triggers in the ROM, so I put in that pop-up message to allow you to re-organize them all in a way that FF6Tools can handle. I didn't test it super well though and from what you're saying it sounds like it's not working correctly. Sorry about that. I should also mention that FF6Tools might corrupt your ROM if you try to edit the GBA event script. Those are both things I've been meaning to address but I haven't had much free time recently.
  Find