Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Problems with modifying Edgar's Tools

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello, FinalFantasy6Hacking.com! This is my first post here, so bear with me, as I am a little nervous. Anyway...
In attempting to make an FF6 hack of my own, I incorporated a few small patches made by others - including one by the name of Painful Chainsaw. (Anyone here know it? The ReadMe says: "Patch created by: Michael Springer (T.Geiger)". But anyway.) While I can't say for sure what caused the problem I have run into, the patch in question is the first one that comes to mind because...the problem is with a Tool. Drill somehow got altered to pick up the effect of Debilitator on top of dealing damage. And I am quite certain I didn't alter Drill in any way in FF3usME (what it does allow me to alter, I compared between my work-in-progress hack, and my base ROM - it looks exactly the same to my eye, so!). Chainsaw seems to function as the patch promised to make it, so that at least seems to be in order. (The first time Edgar donned that hockey mask, the target did indeed die by the "slicing" effect seen with Scimitar, so...) And Debilitator seems to be unaltered, as far as I can tell. Plus I have not see any other detrimental or odd Tool behaviors so far (I haven't yet tested Air Anchor, though).
So I presented FedoraJoe (I do believe he is a user here - he created the rather recent General Leo Edition hack) with my problem, and he suggested that I pose this problem before you fine fellows. Can anyone perhaps tell me what can be looked at/altered in a hex editor to restore Drill to normal?

If it would be of any help, here's a bit of what the ReadMe says:
"This patch makes changes to how the Chainsaw operates. Normally, if an enemy has death protection, the chainsaw's 'instant death' attack mode will always miss, not even doing any damage. Now, if an enemy has death protection, the chainsaw will do damage as normal. If the chainsaw scores an instant kill, it will do its normal animation along with the Scimitar’s 'Slice' effect.

Item Effect:
C2/2B30: A99E LDA #$9E
C2/2B32: 8DA911 STA $11A9 (Use effect 4F)
C2/2B35: A920 LDA #$20
C2/2B37: 0CA211 TSB $11A2 (Set ignore defense)
C2/2B3A: 60 RTS

Special Effect:
C2/2B3B: 208D38 JSR $388D (Use 'Slice' subroutine)
C2/2B3E: A5B5 LDA $B5
C2/2B40: C902 CMP #$02
C2/2B42: D005 BNE $2B49 (Check for command == 'Magic')
C2/2B44: A908 LDA #$08
C2/2B46: 8D742D STA $2D74 (Set animation to 'kill mode')
C2/2B49: 60 RTS

This patch leaves 9 unused bytes."
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Painful Chainsaw seems to run into or knock out the code that drill uses as I recall, changing the default bytes for the drill back to normal fixes drill obviously, and also seems to keep painful chainsaw working.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I have never used this patch, but looking at the original code... I can say that Gi Nattak is right. This patch changes the place where the drill code is. You could duplicate the code in its original address (it was on a few of those "new unused bytes", so it's safe) or modify the pointer for drill's code.

If you wanna duplicate the code, you should restore this:

Code:
C2/2B4D: A9 20        LDA #$20
C2/2B4F: 0C A2 11            TSB $11A2      (Set ignore defense)
C2/2B52: 60                     RTS

And if you wanna modify the pointer, you need to change this
Code:
C2/2B24: 4D 2B     (Drill)

to this
Code:
C2/2B24: 35 2B     (Drill)

[Image: SvEf6Yh.png]
  Find