Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Event Hacking question

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
I'm wondering how hard/complicated would it be to remove the Opera scene and replace it with an event that gets you setzer and the airship in another way.

Also how hard or is it possible to have you get two characters at the same time when you get the airship. In other words Setzer and one other. Is that event stuff still or is that ASM stuff.

I am VERY new to event and asm stuff, and trying to guage if my ideas are too big for my britches.

Thanks in advance to all the pros with this knowledge!
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
That can all be done with event hacking. If you have EventScript.txt, look up CA/AE15, it's where Locke explains his plan to swap Celes and Maria, this series of events leads directly into the Opera Scene. The actual scene with the opera itself begins at CA/B0DE, right after Ultros' letter goes unnoticed.

Happy Hacking.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
It wouldn't be overly complicated to remove the opera scene; the difficulty of replacing it mostly depends on what you are replacing it with. To replace it with an equally elaborate scene to the Opera House may be pretty difficult, but replacing it with a scene where you simply board the airship and start talking with Setzer wouldn't be hard at all.

As for getting two characters at once, it would still fall under event hacking, provided you aren't flat out creating a 15th character. If you just want get Setzer and Mog at the same time, for example, you'd just have to set the variables which tell each them to appear on the airship and in the shop screen, possibly assign their names/properties/palettes/etc, and place them in your current party if need be.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
Awesome. Thanks guys. I already have a thousand more questions, but I'll be very busy this next week for work so not sure how active i''ll be on here that week. I will continue to mess around with this and pick your brains as I have time. Thanks!
  Find

Status
None
(06-26-2013, 01:11 PM)Edrin Wrote: That can all be done with event hacking. If you have EventScript.txt, look up CA/AE15, it's where Locke explains his plan to swap Celes and Maria, this series of events leads directly into the Opera Scene. The actual scene with the opera itself begins at CA/B0DE, right after Ultros' letter goes unnoticed.

Happy Hacking.

What would be the fastest/easiest way to remove the opera scene? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the event editing in general. I'm looking to remove the scene and change it to a conversation to add setzer and another character. Maybe a boss battle prior to their being added.

any event pros that can give me a hand and walk me through this? Also are there a list of event commands kicking around somewhere, i perused the all things event hacking thread and didn't see a list of specific commands.

Thanks in adavance
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Here is the only list of event commands I know of, though some of them are inaccurate. The best way I've found to create your own events is to cross-reference the event dump with the raw hex of the game, consulting the event commands document when needed.

It'd be a bit difficult to help walk you through creating the event you're talking about without knowing exactly what you're going for, but it wouldn't be hard to pull off. It would probably be a good idea to consult this document as well (though I think the site is down right now) to see what event bits you'll need to set, and which may be free for your own use.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
(07-04-2013, 11:51 PM)Synchysi Wrote: Here is the only list of event commands I know of, though some of them are inaccurate. The best way I've found to create your own events is to cross-reference the event dump with the raw hex of the game, consulting the event commands document when needed.

It'd be a bit difficult to help walk you through creating the event you're talking about without knowing exactly what you're going for, but it wouldn't be hard to pull off. It would probably be a good idea to consult this document as well (though I think the site is down right now) to see what event bits you'll need to set, and which may be free for your own use.

The second link is down, but thank you for the other. I'll look through it.

As far as the event, i'm looking to have the team show up at the opera house and meet setzer and umaro there and hire them in some fashion. So i'd have to remove Locke's plan to get to setzer dialogue; show setzer and umaro's sprites somwhere in the opera house; include a dialogue that for that conversation; at the end of the conversation both setzer and umaro are added to the party and then give the group access to the airship.

how complex is this? In your experience is there an easier way?
  Find

Status
None
The difficulty really depends on how complex you want the event to be. There is plenty of space to use, if you're going to wipe out the opera event completely. You'll also need to make some alterations through the map editor.

The one thing to make sure of is that you don't miss setting any event bits that the game needs; that's what that second link goes to, whenever it comes back up.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
so what i'm trying to do for starters is by pass the opera scene. THe party will walk into the opera house, the impresario will be waiting. They'll talk to the impressario and right after they conversation they'll jump to the scene where setzer is tricked into joining the party (they are standing near the gambling table on the blackjack).

The opera house begins at CA/B0DE

The blackjack scene is at CB/1E1C and goes to CB/1E32

Would I just insert the coding from The blackjack scene at CB/1E1C till CB/1E32 right after the conversation with the impressario in CA/B0DE?
  Find

Status
None
You can do that, or you can jump to the scene at the Blackjack directly after the conversation. Since there is no specific "branch" or "jump" instruction in the event code, you can use event bit $1EA4:7. That bit is always clear to ensure the branch is always taken.

Keep in mind all branches are relative to bank $CA, so your branch would look like this:

Code:
C0 27 01 1C 1E 01    (This says "If ($1E80($127) [$1EA4, bit 7] is clear), branch to $CB1E1C")

Notice that the last three bytes are your branch destination in little endian (reverse byte) order, relative to bank CA (so the 01 actually points to CB).

Brave New World
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Synchysi for this post:
  • ribbits (07-09-2013)