Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Event Hacking question

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(07-11-2013, 09:17 PM)ribbits Wrote: are you speaking of his event in level editor or his "if set mem" address?

No, you're getting event bits and events mixed up. They are different things.

An event is, well, just what it sounds like. It's a collection of instructions and parameters that determine how a particular scene will play out.

An event bit is a binary value that's either set (1) or not set (0). The 'If mem set' section deals with event bits, not events. These bits are toggled on (set) or off (unset) in events depending on certain things you want to happen, at that particular time or later on.

For example, that's how the game knows who is available to put in your party. It checks bits related to each character every time you load up a party selection screen and populates it depends on the result of the checks.

Quote:So before my jump from opera house to blackjack scene I entered D0 00. Then i entered the the code pointing to blackjack scene.

At the end of my event (D0 7E D4 ED D4 FD) i added D1 00 FE.

I then went to level editor and set the Umaro event to 1E800 and the "If Mem Set' to address: 1E80 bit:0

I ran it and with the same results as all my other attempts. No Umaro, and everything freezes but the music after the "ante up" dialogue line.

I think we'd have to see more, including your jump and what you overwrote.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
(07-12-2013, 03:03 PM)Synchysi Wrote: I think we'd have to see more, including your jump and what you overwrote.

In CA/AE2E (AB02E):
D0 00 C0 27 01 1C 1E 01

In CB/2221 (B2421):
Inserted - B2 30 02 27
Overwrote - 94 5A 08 5C

In F1/0230 (310430):
Inserted: 94 5A 08 5C (the stuff I overwrote)
Inserted: D0 7E D4 ED D4 FD D1 00 FE

In level editor:
On NPC 19 (umaro)
X,Y: 9,8
Event: 1E800
'If Mem Set'
Address: 1E80
Bit: 0
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I think you are mixing the NPC event with the NPC appearance bit. Here it says the NPC event (dialogue or anything else) starts at CB/E800:

(07-12-2013, 04:43 PM)ribbits Wrote: Event: 1E800

(07-12-2013, 04:43 PM)ribbits Wrote: 'If Mem Set'
  Find

Status
None
(07-14-2013, 01:00 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I think you are mixing the NPC event with the NPC appearance bit. Here it says the NPC event (dialogue or anything else) starts at CB/E800:

It's possible you may be right, because I'm not sure the difference between the two. Can you explain more or point me in the proper direction?

thanks!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-14-2013, 08:23 PM)ribbits Wrote: Can you explain more or point me in the proper direction?

An appearance bit is a binary value (0 or 1) that requires to be set for the character to be visible, thus the ''show if memory set'' description in FF6LE. The event text box in FF6LE is to enter the offset of the beginning of the event, where are the instructions of what will happens when you speak to Umaro. FF6LE labels the event bank numbers (CA, CB and CC) as 0, 1 and 2 meaning a value of 205EA would be the NPC event located at CC/05EA.
  Find

Status
None
(07-14-2013, 09:06 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(07-14-2013, 08:23 PM)ribbits Wrote: Can you explain more or point me in the proper direction?

An appearance bit is a binary value (0 or 1) that requires to be set for the character to be visible, thus the ''show if memory set'' description in FF6LE. The event text box in FF6LE is to enter the offset of the beginning of the event, where are the instructions of what will happens when you speak to Umaro. FF6LE labels the event bank numbers (CA, CB and CC) as 0, 1 and 2 meaning a value of 205EA would be the NPC event located at CC/05EA.

so i would have set the 'If Mem set' correctly then? I'll have to look more at the event offset to see what that is.
  Find

Status
None
I think i've made some progress, but not completely. As i have said, i'm new to this stuff, so your input and advice is slowly making more sense. I was having the issue of no Umaro appearing, and then everything (but the music) freezing after the 'ante up' line.

I change the event tag for Umaro in FF6LE to 1E8B4 and finally Umaro is there. I was assuming he'd just be standing there, but he walks all over the place. So I need to figure out how to change that.

However, now that I have Umaro the game crashes if I talk to him before I talk to setzer. It also crashes at the coin toss now instead of a little further down at the ante up line. I honestly have no clue why. Any thoughts?

Slowly I'm getting it and getting there, Thanks for all the help!
  Find

Status
None
(07-15-2013, 11:36 PM)ribbits Wrote: I change the event tag for Umaro in FF6LE to 1E8B4 and finally Umaro is there. I was assuming he'd just be standing there, but he walks all over the place. So I need to figure out how to change that.

I think (though I'm not sure because I haven't messed with it) that the action number determines this. Setting that to 0 may force Umaro to stand still.

If it's already 0, then someone with a bit more experience with FF6LE can probably help you.

Quote:However, now that I have Umaro the game crashes if I talk to him before I talk to setzer. It also crashes at the coin toss now instead of a little further down at the ante up line. I honestly have no clue why. Any thoughts?

As far as Umaro crashing the game, this was answered earlier:

Quote:You have Umaro's event pointing to 1E8F6; event pointers are relative to bank CA, so this is actually pointing to CB/E8F6, which is right in the middle of the escape from the burning house event. You'd likely see some really funky stuff before the game just up and crashed.

You said you changed his event to 1E8B4. If you look at the event dump, this location (CB/E8B4) is in the middle of an event. That event needs to point to whatever you want to happen when the player tries to talk to Umaro.

As far as it crashing after the coin toss, I think we'd need to see what code you inserted/overwrote there. That part starts somewhere around CB/2121, after Celes stops speaking. It sounds like it could just be a typo or something, where you were trying to insert stuff at CB/2221 and accidentally did it at CB/2121.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
(07-15-2013, 11:52 PM)Synchysi Wrote: If it's already 0, then someone with a bit more experience with FF6LE can probably help you.

As soon as I had finished posting I went back into LE and played with a few settings and found exactly what you were talking about above.

Quote:As far as Umaro crashing the game, this was answered earlier:

Quote:You have Umaro's event pointing to 1E8F6; event pointers are relative to bank CA, so this is actually pointing to CB/E8F6, which is right in the middle of the escape from the burning house event. You'd likely see some really funky stuff before the game just up and crashed.

You said you changed his event to 1E8B4. If you look at the event dump, this location (CB/E8B4) is in the middle of an event. That event needs to point to whatever you want to happen when the player tries to talk to Umaro.

hmm this seems to be causing me some confusion. If I understand you need to have it an event thats already defined, and it needs to point whatever I want to happen when he's talked to. For ease sake at the moment, I'd like to have it so its just him saying something incoherrent and Umaro-esque (caveman gibberish).

This is the line in the event dump that i am looking at, is it wrong?
CB/1B4E: D0 Set event bit $1E80($05C) [$1E8B, bit 4]

you said it was pointing to CB/E8B4 - what am I missing?

Quote:As far as it crashing after the coin toss, I think we'd need to see what code you inserted/overwrote there. That part starts somewhere around CB/2121, after Celes stops speaking. It sounds like it could just be a typo or something, where you were trying to insert stuff at CB/2221 and accidentally did it at CB/2121.

Heres the all the hex work I have done:
In CA/AE2E (AB02E):
D0 00 C0 27 01 1C 1E 01

In CB/2221 (B2421):
Inserted - B2 30 02 27
Overwrote - 94 5A 08 5C (what was overwritten) ********

In F1/0230 (310430):
Inserted: 94 5A 08 5C (the stuff I overwrote) *********

In level editor:
On NPC 19 (umaro)
Event: 1E8B4
'If Mem Set'

What I have overwritten is by the *******
  Find

Status
None
(07-16-2013, 02:41 PM)ribbits Wrote:
Quote:As far as Umaro crashing the game, this was answered earlier:

hmm this seems to be causing me some confusion. If I understand you need to have it an event thats already defined, and it needs to point whatever I want to happen when he's talked to. For ease sake at the moment, I'd like to have it so its just him saying something incoherrent and Umaro-esque (caveman gibberish).

This is the line in the event dump that i am looking at, is it wrong?
CB/1B4E: D0 Set event bit $1E80($05C) [$1E8B, bit 4]

you said it was pointing to CB/E8B4 - what am I missing?

The event field is for an offset; it has nothing to do with event bits. You said you changed his event to 1E8B4. Remember that these are all relative to bank CA, so to find the event it's pointing to, you would add 1E8B4 to CA/0000:

CA0000 + 1E8B4 = CBE8B4

You can do hexadecimal arithmetic fairly easily in Windows calculator, if you're using Vista or later.

Now, to have Umaro saying something unintelligible, you would need to write your own event for it. The captions already exist for this sort of thing, so all you'd need to do is write a caption call event. You can find many, many examples of this in the event dump.

Quote:
Quote:As far as it crashing after the coin toss, I think we'd need to see what code you inserted/overwrote there. That part starts somewhere around CB/2121, after Celes stops speaking. It sounds like it could just be a typo or something, where you were trying to insert stuff at CB/2221 and accidentally did it at CB/2121.

Heres the all the hex work I have done:
In CA/AE2E (AB02E):
D0 00 C0 27 01 1C 1E 01

In CB/2221 (B2421):
Inserted - B2 30 02 27
Overwrote - 94 5A 08 5C (what was overwritten) ********

In F1/0230 (310430):
Inserted: 94 5A 08 5C (the stuff I overwrote) *********

In level editor:
On NPC 19 (umaro)
Event: 1E8B4
'If Mem Set'

What I have overwritten is by the *******

At a glance I don't see anything wrong with that. Your game is crashing well before that, though, so you may have inadvertently changed something at a different address.

If you can't revert it back to normal (by comparing it with an unmodified ROM), your best bet may be to continue your work on a fresh ROM.

Brave New World
  Find