Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Event Hacking question

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
(07-11-2013, 01:49 PM)Edrin Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 12:42 PM)ribbits Wrote: when talking with setzer, i would insert the code to jump to a different bank:
B2 30 02 27

Then i would finish off any code that I deleted to put the jump code in.

Then to add umaro to the party I would follow that up with:
D0 7E D4 ED D4 FD

and in the level editor, set Umaro's even to 1E8F6?

that any where close to right?

Edit:
I'm beginning to think this isn't right. I entered it all and gave it a test run. First error, Umaro doesn't show up on the Blackjack beside Setzer. Number 2, the game froze after the coin toss. I inserted the (D0 7E... after the coin toss)

Close.

Just to verify, that jump will take you to $CA0000+$270230 = $F1/0230, if this is where you put your event, good!

As it turns out, it looks like the programmers already accounted for the possibility of Umaro being in the WoB as he has an NPC already on the Blackjack (and a pink Gogo!). Oddly enough, they use address ranges that are outside of the other event bits. Without going into it, I'm assuming the bits are copied at some point to a new location so leave it the way it is at first, and if Umaro doesn't show up we can try to change his "Show if mem set" address. His Event address has to do with dialog and opening the party selection menu.

I tested it again, without changing anything and still the same to errors: Umaro doesn't show up at all and the game stalls. Background music is still playing, but you can't move at all.

Yes, I did place the code in f1/0230. What do you mean "show if mem set" address?
Do I have to use a different event ID instead of 1E8F6 for him in the level editor?

thanks again
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Did you leave the $FF command at the end of the coin's action script? I erase those all the time by accident.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
The Event ID is the event that is run when you interact with the NPC.

To show the character, you need to set the field at the bottom of the NPC info that says "SHOW IF MEM SET" to some event bit that is turned on (not the ones I gave you since they haven't been set yet). Then make sure that bit is cleared at the end of the event so he doesn't stay there after the scene. What I was referring to that is already in there is the Umaro that you will talk to in the main room to change party members.
  Find

Status
None
I will try that out in the next half hour. I am suddenly having issues with the rom now. It won't skip from operahouse to airship, so once i have that figured out i'll test your suggestion and let you know.

in the 'If mem set' section I would do 1E8F and bit 6 correct?

Edit:

Just retried it all and still no umaro. music still continues, but gameplay still freezes after he says, "my lifes a chip in your pile, ante up."

any idea what I am missing out on.

In CA/AE2B I am entering C0 27 01 1C 1E 01 to jump to the blackjack setzer scene.

At the dialogue Where Setzer uses the term 'Ante Up'. So in CB/221F i inserted B2 30 02 27 FE (to move to more space in F1/0230) over top of 94 5A 08 5C D9.

In F1/0230 I put 94 5A 08 5C D9 because I had written over with the subroutine. Then I added D07E D4 ED D4 FD to add Umaro.

In the level editor in the blackjack i moved umaro to 9,8 and set his event to 1E8F6 and 'If mem set' to 1E8F and the bit to 6.

thanks for all the help and any more would be appreciated!
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(07-09-2013, 11:18 PM)ribbits Wrote: At the dialogue Where Setzer uses the term 'Ante Up'. So in CB/221F i inserted B2 30 02 27 FE (to move to more space in F1/0230) over top of 94 5A 08 5C D9.

I think you need to look at your starting point again. What you listed (94 5A etc) starts at CB/2221, not CB/221F.

Additionally, call instructions are four bytes, while you have five. The FE at the end is a return instruction, so I guess it could be intentional, but you may need the rest of the event to execute normally, so you can probably remove it.

Quote:In F1/0230 I put 94 5A 08 5C D9 because I had written over with the subroutine. Then I added D07E D4 ED D4 FD to add Umaro.

The problem here is that what you overwrote earlier ends with an incomplete instruction (D9 is a two-byte instruction). If you get rid of the trailing FE I mentioned above, you don't have to worry about including D9 in this part.

Don't forget to include an FE at the end of your custom event so the game knows where to go next.

Quote:In the level editor in the blackjack i moved umaro to 9,8 and set his event to 1E8F6 and 'If mem set' to 1E8F and the bit to 6.

This also won't work, but probably won't matter if you can't talk to Umaro. If you can, his event needs to go somewhere relevant, rather than the middle of some other event which will likely crash the game.

The bit ('If mem set') you're using for him is fine.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(07-12-2013, 12:42 AM)Synchysi Wrote:
Quote:In the level editor in the blackjack i moved umaro to 9,8 and set his event to 1E8F6 and 'If mem set' to 1E8F and the bit to 6.

This also won't work, but probably won't matter if you can't talk to Umaro. If you can, his event needs to go somewhere relevant, rather than the middle of some other event which will likely crash the game.

If he wants to use that event bit for the Umaro that shows up during the event, then he needs to use another bit that is already set and is going to be cleared. Using 1E8F bit 6 will not allow him to show up until after the scene because it's not set before the map loads, and even if he were to set it first, then the Umaro would stay there even after the event, and there is already an instance of him in the blackjack main room, meaning there would be 2 Umaros.

I would suggest finding an unused bit in the ff6_snes_event_bits.txt Setting it before you load the Blackjack scene, then at the end of your custom code, clearing it so that instance of Umaro is present ONLY during the event.
  Find

Status
None
(07-12-2013, 12:42 AM)Synchysi Wrote: This also won't work, but probably won't matter if you can't talk to Umaro. If you can, his event needs to go somewhere relevant, rather than the middle of some other event which will likely crash the game.

As I"m incredibly knew to this (you may have noticed), where would I find relevant events to put with Umaro in the level editor? How do you know which are relevant and good to use and which are not? Thanks.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-12-2013, 10:54 AM)ribbits Wrote: How do you know which are relevant and good to use and which are not?

All events are relevant unless you disable some. You can find the event offset of an NPC by clicking the 'Event' tab when selecting the NPC in FF6LE.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
What I meant by 'relevant event' is an event that doesn't do something else. You have Umaro's event pointing to 1E8F6; event pointers are relative to bank CA, so this is actually pointing to CB/E8F6, which is right in the middle of the escape from the burning house event. You'd likely see some really funky stuff before the game just up and crashed.

As for how to find what event to point him to, you will need to cross-reference things with the event dump. You can open that up and do a search for "Umaro," and you'll find a couple places you can point his event to that won't crash the game.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
(07-12-2013, 01:50 PM)Synchysi Wrote: As for how to find what event to point him to, you will need to cross-reference things with the event dump. You can open that up and do a search for "Umaro," and you'll find a couple places you can point his event to that won't crash the game.

are you speaking of his event in level editor or his "if set mem" address?

(07-12-2013, 09:20 AM)Edrin Wrote: I would suggest finding an unused bit in the ff6_snes_event_bits.txt Setting it before you load the Blackjack scene, then at the end of your custom code, clearing it so that instance of Umaro is present ONLY during the event.

If i'm reading ff6_snes_event_bits.txt correctly, then 000 80:0 Unused? means it an used event it.

So before my jump from opera house to blackjack scene I entered D0 00. Then i entered the the code pointing to blackjack scene.

At the end of my event (D0 7E D4 ED D4 FD) i added D1 00 FE.

I then went to level editor and set the Umaro event to 1E800 and the "If Mem Set' to address: 1E80 bit:0

I ran it and with the same results as all my other attempts. No Umaro, and everything freezes but the music after the "ante up" dialogue line.
  Find