Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Event Hacking question

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
Thanks! I did as you suggested, and works perfect. Now if i wanted to have Umaro in the same room I'd have to add him in the level editor, correct?

now if i wanted him to join when Setzer did, do I just add the script immediately after what I just inserted? Or does it have to inserted in the event itself?
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
It depends on exactly what time you want him to join. If you want him to join during the exact cutscene that Setzer joins, you'll need to put the script in the event where Setzer joins. If you don't have the room, you can always look at Madsiur's "More space for events" video.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
None
(07-10-2013, 08:24 AM)Lockirby2 Wrote: It depends on exactly what time you want him to join. If you want him to join during the exact cutscene that Setzer joins, you'll need to put the script in the event where Setzer joins. If you don't have the room, you can always look at Madsiur's "More space for events" video.

Is there room to add in that script at the same time as setzer? Which script is that exaclty - is it 9B? I was looking for the adding setzer script, but in the event dump file but haven't found it yet, unless thats what CB/223D: 9B is.

Is madsiurs video in the forum?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-10-2013, 07:49 PM)ribbits Wrote: Is madsiurs video in the forum?

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkpQFmXW...3xWzGnuVJv

I uploaded it on my new channel not so long ago so the youtube comments that were in the other video are no longer there. Also, you can use the free space anywherein the ROM, it's not mandatory to use the free banks of a expanded ROM.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • ribbits (07-10-2013)

Status
None
[/quote]

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkpQFmXW...3xWzGnuVJv

I uploaded it on my new channel not so long ago so the youtube comments that were in the other video are no longer there. Also, you can use the free space anywherein the ROM, it's not mandatory to use the free banks of a expanded ROM.
[/quote]

Thanks, I gave them the look. They're great. One question though, I'm planning to add hex that allows umaro to join on the blackjack after the cointoss (or possibly after a battle). If i delete 5 bytes to create the jump to the F bank, do i have to start with the 5 bytes i deleted when I begin entering code in the F bank?

if i add the 5 byte jump code to CB/2210 I have to delete the first 5 bytes, which are F4 8D 94 10 05. When I move to the Fbank to write the new event, do I start it with F4 8D 94 10 05 and then proceed to write the event code?

Hopefully this makes sense as I am partially grasping all of this. It's a learning process!
Finger
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
yes, you would indeed start with what you had to take out to make the jump, if you wanted to keep it in that is...

F4 8D 94 10 05

Now, I'm not sure if this is a random example, or actually what you are moving, but that looks like a sound effect, then a pause, then the start of an action queue for object 10, which is 5 bytes long -- I'm confident that you can't do a jump in the middle of an action queue like that. Include the whole action queue for that object up to the FF (end queue) for the start of your code in your jump.

In other words, when you are going to do a jump, leave the entirety of the action queues in-tact, either before the jump, or take it along to the new address, just keep them in-tact and uninterrupted. Don't jump in the middle of an action queue is what I'm really trying to say =D

Hope that makes since lol.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
Gotcha. I think thats making sense. Laugh

I've been panning through the event script for the battle where you recruit umaro. I'm having a hard time deciphering the code that sets him to the airship and playable afterwards. it's late here and im knew to this, so that may be why im missing the command reference. Or should I be looking for something completely different?

Maybe slightly or completely unrelated, in the level editor when placing a character how do you determine the event bit that you attach to it? I've placed umaro on the blackjack map, set the coordinates, but am at a loss for the event bit.

I've said it before and will say it again, you guys are a wealth of knowledge and i appreciate it greatly!
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
What you need is this.

Code:
07E 8F:6 Recruited Umaro
2ED DD:5 Umaro is covered by the shop and item menus and Gogo's Status screen
2FD DF:5 Umaro is available

The event code needed to set these bits are
Code:
D0 7E   Set event bit $1E80($07E) [$1E8F, bit 6]
D4 ED   Set event bit $1E80($2ED) [$1EDD, bit 5]
D4 FD   Set event bit $1E80($2FD) [$1EDF, bit 5]

For future reference: the reason the first command used to set the event bit is D0 and the last two are D4 is because you are only using one more byte to specify your event bit after the command and there are more than $FF event bits. So what you do is you use the number in parentheses if it starts with 0 (like $07E), you set the bit with D0 and clear the bit with D1. If the number starts with a 1, you set with D2 and clear with D3. If the number starts with 2 (like $2ED and $2FD) you set with D4 and clearn with D5. This pattern continues through all available event bits.

To answer your second question, you would use one of the 4-digit event bits above, like $1E8F, then select bit 6, so when that bit is set, he will appear.
  Find

Status
None
when talking with setzer, i would insert the code to jump to a different bank:
B2 30 02 27

Then i would finish off any code that I deleted to put the jump code in.

Then to add umaro to the party I would follow that up with:
D0 7E D4 ED D4 FD

and in the level editor, set Umaro's even to 1E8F6?

that any where close to right?

Edit:
I'm beginning to think this isn't right. I entered it all and gave it a test run. First error, Umaro doesn't show up on the Blackjack beside Setzer. Number 2, the game froze after the coin toss. I inserted the (D0 7E... after the coin toss)
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(07-11-2013, 12:42 PM)ribbits Wrote: when talking with setzer, i would insert the code to jump to a different bank:
B2 30 02 27

Then i would finish off any code that I deleted to put the jump code in.

Then to add umaro to the party I would follow that up with:
D0 7E D4 ED D4 FD

and in the level editor, set Umaro's even to 1E8F6?

that any where close to right?

Edit:
I'm beginning to think this isn't right. I entered it all and gave it a test run. First error, Umaro doesn't show up on the Blackjack beside Setzer. Number 2, the game froze after the coin toss. I inserted the (D0 7E... after the coin toss)

Close.

Just to verify, that jump will take you to $CA0000+$270230 = $F1/0230, if this is where you put your event, good!

As it turns out, it looks like the programmers already accounted for the possibility of Umaro being in the WoB as he has an NPC already on the Blackjack (and a pink Gogo!). Oddly enough, they use address ranges that are outside of the other event bits. Without going into it, I'm assuming the bits are copied at some point to a new location so leave it the way it is at first, and if Umaro doesn't show up we can try to change his "Show if mem set" address. His Event address has to do with dialog and opening the party selection menu.
  Find