Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Another palette hacking question.

Status
None
Helllo,

I have been looking at the event dump to find the offsets to change the characters' palettes, and I noticed there's no offset "Assign palette to character in stot 20"(which would be the Ghost). Is there any way to change the Ghost's palette from 0 to 2? Thanks in advance.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I know nothing about sprites and palettes but the event command 43 is only good permenantly for characters $00 to $0F because object (character) numbers starting at $10 are for NPCs and they change on every map. If you're talking about the two ghosts that are playable characters, they take actor numbers $7 and $8. They take Relm's and Strago's numbers for the time you have them in the ghost train (but you can't have both at the same time). In this case the command 43 would work I think. Before command 43 you have to assign graphics $14(20) to object $07 with command 37 as an example. That way the actor $07 will have the ghost sprite. And you must assign properties $10(16 the ghost actor number) to character $07 first.

This the playable ghosts creation in the ghost train:

Code:
CB/AC64: 40    Assign properties $10 to character $07 (Actor in stot 7)
CB/AC67: 3D    Create object $07 (the playable character)
CB/AC69: 3F    Assign character $07 (Actor in stot 7) to party 1
CB/AC6C: 37    Assign graphics $14 to object $07 (Actor in stot 7)
CB/AC6F: 43    Assign palette $00 to character $07 (Actor in stot 7)
CB/AC72: 7F    Change character $07's name to $10 (????? )
CB/AC75: 88    Remove the following status ailments from character $07 (Actor in stot 7): Float, Hide, Chant (Casting Spell), Morph (Esper-form), Instant Death Protection, Frozen, Rage, Death (Wound), Petrify (Stone), Imp, Vanish (Clear), Poison, Zombie, Dark (Done because this actor number was used as a moogle before)
CB/AC79: 8B    For character $07 (Actor in stot 7), take HP and set to maximum (Done because this actor number was used as a moogle before)
CB/AC7C: 8C    For character $07 (Actor in stot 7), take MP and set to maximum (Done because this actor number was used as a moogle before)
CB/AC7F: 42    Hide object $11 (the ghost NPC on the map)
CB/AC81: FE    Return (return to game)

CB/AC82: 40    Assign properties $11 to character $08 (Actor in stot 8)
CB/AC85: 3D    Create object $08 (the playable character)
CB/AC87: 3F    Assign character $08 (Actor in stot 8) to party 1
CB/AC8A: 37    Assign graphics $14 to object $08 (Actor in stot 8)
CB/AC8D: 43    Assign palette $00 to character $08 (Actor in stot 8)
CB/AC90: 7F    Change character $08's name to $11 (????? )
CB/AC93: 88    Remove the following status ailments from character $08 (Actor in stot 8): Float, Hide, Chant (Casting Spell), Morph (Esper-form), Instant Death Protection, Frozen, Rage, Death (Wound), Petrify (Stone), Imp, Vanish (Clear), Poison, Zombie, Dark (Done because this actor number was used as a moogle before)
CB/AC97: 8B    For character $08 (Actor in stot 8), take HP and set to maximum (Done because this actor number was used as a moogle before)
CB/AC9A: 8C    For character $08 (Actor in stot 8), take MP and set to maximum (Done because this actor number was used as a moogle before)
CB/AC9D: 42    Hide object $11 (the ghost npc on the map)
CB/AC9F: FE    Return (return to game)

For your info, the moogles replace the same way a lot of characters for the 3 party battle at the beginning. This is why celes is a moogle if you don't recruit her during locke's scenario. This can be done with a glitch that let you pass through a soldier in South Figaro.

Anyway back to topic:If you're talking about ghosts NPCs well you have to edit the ghost sprite (change his palette) maybe in a sprite editor. Then all the ghost would have the new palette. You can also hex edit a ghosts NPCs on a map and change the palette for a perticular ghost. This can also be done via FF6LE and it's much easier that way.

Hope it helps.
  Find

Status
None
Hmmm, not sure if I got it: so command 43 will only change the playable ghost's palettes, and doing so will also mess up with Strago and Relm's palettes? I was searching for a way to turn every single ghost sprite, playable or not, from palette 0 to 2(since all of them belong to palette 0, FF3usME informs);

Sadly editors can't change the ghosts' overworld palettes, just the palettes' colors. The characters with palette 0 in my hack don't share the same colors I'd like the ghosts to have, so the only way around that is to change the ghosts' palettes. Is there an offset that affects all ghosts?

Status
Tissue-aware
(01-11-2012, 02:19 AM)Greed Wrote: Hmmm, not sure if I got it: so command 43 will only change the playable ghost's palettes, and doing so will also mess up with Strago and Relm's palettes?

Exactly but the game reassign the good palettes and sprites to Strago and Relm when you see them for the first time.

Edit: You could maybe change npc palettes through events with command 43 (I never tried it) but you would need to set it in the entrace event of each map containing a npc ghost and do a command 43 for each npc starting at object $10. Then the event would have priority over the npc data of each ghost, at least for the palette. You're better off with FF6LE to edit them.

(01-11-2012, 02:19 AM)Greed Wrote: I was searching for a way to turn every single ghost sprite, playable or not, from palette 0 to 2(since all of them belong to palette 0, FF3usME informs);

Sadly editors can't change the ghosts' overworld palettes, just the palettes' colors. The characters with palette 0 in my hack don't share the same colors I'd like the ghosts to have, so the only way around that is to change the ghosts' palettes. Is there an offset that affects all ghosts?

I believe FF3usSpriteED can change the palette of a lot of sprites in the game.

The download link is in this thread: Hacking tools

[Image: ghost.png]

Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
not all ghosts will be affected

it only affects the ones you control

the important thing is, all the ghosts on the map can be edited via the level editor

even if u edit the playable ghosts, u will need to edit them via level editor or the NPC versions of them will stay the same

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Tissue-aware
(01-11-2012, 02:58 AM)Poco Loco Wrote: not all ghosts will be affected

it only affects the ones you control

the important thing is, all the ghosts on the map can be edited via the level editor

even if u edit the playable ghosts, u will need to edit them via level editor or the NPC versions of them will stay the same

I thought changing the palette of a sprite would affect all the objects (npc or playable) that it is assigned to. It's true that the npc data has the palette to use with the sprite and changing the palette in the sprite editor doesn't change that value....but changing the palette in FF6LE does... I knew Poco you were the sprite master!

Find

Status
None
So.editing it in FF6LE will change all ghosts and FF6SE/command 43 only affect the playable ones huh? I hadn't tried FF6LE out so I downloaded it...and it won't run in any ROM I edited things. I get an error message at "storing graphic set 0.012" and it won't load. What did I do wrong? I only did some sprite editing.

Status
None
there is a new rogue level editor that Lord J made that makes it compatible with usme

mind you I never really used either level editor but I learned a thing or 2 about it

each individual npc should be edited manually on each map if u want to change them

you can change the palette on 1 NPC but it wont affect any others

lets say you want to change the recruit-able ghosts then you look on LE and change those ghosts alone

and the ones that join you will only change when you edit their palette via hex (as shown above)

and thanks for the compliment madsiur I appareciate it :p

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
I see. That will take more work and testing than expected, but I much appreciate the help from both of you. Thanks.

Status
None
not a problem thats why we are here Smile

-HNIC