Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Excluding Weapons from Use With Genji Glove

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I've been trying to convince myself for a month that I didn't need to do this hack. In fact, I have a list that I have kept in my project folder of "brilliant ideas that are out of the scope of my project". The problem is that my very first romhack was for Final Fantasy Tactics, and once you have hacked both games, it becomes abundantly clear that the battle system for FFT began as an adaptation of FF6, or was at least heavily based off of FF6. See, in FFT, there are 2 equivalent support abilities based on relics in FF6. The Samurai class learns Two Hands, which is the Gauntlet, and the Ninja class learns Two Swords, which is the Genji Glove. Every weapon in the game then has property bits that state which of those 2 abilities they can be used with. FF6, in turn, only has a property bit for weapons that can be used with the Gauntlet.

This needs to change.

So, I am looking into creating a hack that adds the weapon property "Dual" on bit $04. I haven't figured out the complete list of weapons excluded yet, but it would definitely include all Spears and Katanas. As always, before I begin, I just want to check to see if anybody has done this hack before, but never released it.

Also note that I am looking to totally fill up the weapon properties bit, so let me know if you have any of the others. The list will be as follows (new properties marked with an *)
*01: 2x Damage on Jump (replacing the hardcoded check for spears)
02: SwdTech
*04: Dual (aka Genji Glove)
*08: Sketch (rewriting Assassin's "Brushless Sketch" patch to check for this bit. Not complete yet)
*10: Piercing (Drakkhen's "Ignore Defense" patch)
20: Same damage from back row
40: 2-Hand
*80: Runic/Shock (GrayShadows has already completed this patch, which checks this bit for Shock as well)

Note: Of the ones listed above, the only bit that would need text displayed when you view details from the item list is "Dual"

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
sounds like a great patch man

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(FFT was based on FF5, not 6. It is basically Tactics Ogre with FF5's job sensibilities. and FF5's insane exploitations)

My suggestion would be to re-appropriate the dual wield flag to act as a flag enabling the weapon to be used with another weapon. This is what BNW does. When one weapon is equipped, the game checks for the gauntlet and genji glove flags (in general, doesn't matter where they're loaded from here) and modifies equippability acordingly. Gauntlet will make the other hand's text show up yellow, indicating it's still open for another piece of equipment but will otherwise carry gauntlet bonus properties if left free. If Dual Wield is flagged, then the other hand will be left white and equippable, but only by another weapon which is flagged as dual wield. The hardest part would be the logic checking both hands. I haven't seen synch's code for that, though it is something I want to implement into Meltdown myself. Or its successor, anyway.
  Find

Status
None
Thanks DN. From that description, it seems to handle things differently than I am envisioning it.

Also, I won't argue about the influence of FF5 on FFT, but there are several things copied directly from FF6. You notice it when you start digging in to both.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 9
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Slow
If this hack becomes a thing, I want to use it.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
The "Allow 2nd Weapon" bit (Genji Glove effect) does a pretty good job already but I see the nuance with having a new flag for this. This could fix the exploit of being able to dual wield weapons that doesn't have the Genji Glove flag which AFAIK can only be fixed by flagging them as 2hand.

Find

Status
None
(08-11-2018, 03:54 PM)Warrax Wrote: The "Allow 2nd Weapon" bit (Genji Glove effect) does a pretty good job already but I see the nuance with having a new flag for this.  This could fix the exploit of being able to dual wield weapons that doesn't have the Genji Glove flag which AFAIK can only be fixed by flagging them as 2hand.

The flag that you're talking about ("allow 2nd weapon" in FF3usME) is only set on one piece of equipment, which is the Genji Glove. It enables the player to equip a weapon in each hand. The flag above it (allow 2 hand weapon) is for the Gauntlet. The Gauntlet has a secondary bit that is set on each weapon, "2 Hands". In order to use a weapon with the Gauntlet, you must have the relic equipped, AND the weapon needs to have that secondary bit. What I'm pointing out is that there is no secondary bit for the Genji Glove. Because of that, every weapon in the game is compatible with the Genji Glove. I want to create the secondary bit so that I can choose weapons to exclude from use with the Genji Glove.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Status
None
Quote:Also note that I am looking to totally fill up the weapon properties bit, so let me know if you have any of the others. The list will be as follows (new properties marked with an *)
*01: 2x Damage on Jump (replacing the hardcoded check for spears)
02: SwdTech
*04: Dual (aka Genji Glove)
*08: Sketch (rewriting Assassin's "Brushless Sketch" patch to check for this bit. Not complete yet)

Jump Megafix handles spear damage by checking the icon in the item name.

Pandora's Box reworks both that patch and Brushless Sketch to use item property bits like you want, so disassemble a PB-patched ROM and look at the code changes relative to my assembly files.

i'm in the middle of adapting my patches to work this way, but am glacially slow, so can't provide an ETA.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • PowerPanda (08-11-2018), Robo Jesus (07-24-2019)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
my only beef with item properties over the icon is that item properties are a luxury unless you move and expand the whole struct. or make a second struct which is equally a pain in the ass.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Status
None
yeah, that finite nature and hypothetical coexistence concerns kept me away from the method initially.  but after nearly a decade with most of the bits going unclaimed, i concluded my worries were mostly academic, and that it was time to adapt. Tongue

whenever i update, i'll include the previous version's .asm files in the archives, for curiosity and for anybody who wants to retrofit it to use icons.  i'll probably stop short of including old .IPS files, because other changes are planned, and i want to discourage use of obsolete patches, but also not have to maintain forks of the patches.

-----

as for the initial Genji Glove question, i suspect that menu enforcement will be more of a pain than battle mechanics.  for the latter, i lean toward recommending expanding C2/0F6F to check both weapon hands, and if one lacks the compatibility, branch to C2/0F61 or 0F68 to zero its Battle Power.  (if both lack it, then zero one at random or arbitrarily.)

now, robust menu enforcement might prevent the need for this check.  but it's probably worth doing in case of PAR codes or bugs stuffing weapons into two hands, or something being overlooked in the fictional menu code.