Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Teaching magic spells through weapons

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
In the hack I'm working on, I wanted the "scan" spell to be available early on via the plumed hat.

Players aren't able to see the AP gained after the battle, which isn't a big deal, but they also can't use the spell once a character learns it! The "magic" ability is just greyed out.

What can you do to allow the magic command to be used before meeting Ramuh?
  Find

Status
None
No idea about this, but would be useful to know for me aswell.

I need Daegon, Saeryn and Keryon (Locke, Edgar and Sabin) to know Magic before I meet them in-game.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(06-28-2011, 02:04 PM)Overswarm Wrote: What can you do to allow the magic command to be used before meeting Ramuh?

Hack an event. It seems to me that there's a thread somewhere that is very similar to this one, you might want to use the search button and look for threads in this site.

The game uses "event bits" to know important information, such as which characters to include in the airship roster (WOB/WOR). There's an event bit that corresponds to "enabling the use of magic" by PC's. So what you want to do is set the event bit earlier in the game.

There's some useful information on how to do it here:

http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....pic=1504.0

Note that,to do this, you need some basic knowledge on Hex editing, and some understanding about event commands. There are some video tutorials on event hacking by xJCSx here:

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...termediate

Status
None
This is something I've been trying to do as well. Unfortunately, I'm not that great at hex editing but am not entirely unfamiliar with it.

I thought I had made some progress, but like in the link Angelo26 posted, it turned out not to work. Has anyone been able to make progress with this?

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Status
None
I know I got it to work, I recall just setting the event bit that enables the use of Magic points. From then on, it worked. It did however display the amount of AP or ABP (can't remember) that was gained at the end of the battle. Heh I'll sneak a glance at the hex editor and see what code I used actually.
But seeing as Angelo is replying to this as I write it, he might have the answer Wink

EDIT:
I put this in my event:

$B8, $43 'End

Then I had set the monsters to give AP via FF3usME. After that, I ran through a battle following the event's execution and it worked. Now I will admit, I never did level up until I actually "got" the esper. In my case, I was trying to grant an esper via equipment.
I'm going to grind the AP up and see if the esper is useable. Brb

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(07-26-2011, 01:54 PM)HaloOfTheSun Wrote: it turned out not to work. Has anyone been able to make progress with this?

I think xJCSx fixed it, but it's been a long time since he's been around. I haven't done this before, but 'll try to help.

The instances in which you receive your first espers are:
Code:
CA/A823: 86    Give esper $36 (Ramuh   ) to party
CA/A88D: B8    Set bit $1DC9($43) [$1DD1, bit 3]
CA/A88F: FE    Return

CA/AC9B: 86    Give esper $39 (Siren   ) to party
CA/AC9D: B8    Set bit $1DC9($43) [$1DD1, bit 3]
CA/AC9F: FE    Return

CA/ACAA: 86    Give esper $47 (Kirin   ) to party
CA/ACAC: B8    Set bit $1DC9($43) [$1DD1, bit 3]
CA/ACAE: FE    Return

CA/ACB9: 86    Give esper $3E (Stray   ) to party
CA/ACBB: B8    Set bit $1DC9($43) [$1DD1, bit 3]
CA/ACBD: FE    Return

Sounds like $1DD1, Bit 3 will enable the magic points. It's B8 XX. XX Is whatever is to the right of B8. After the bit is set, the event ends though (using FE). So you might want to do that as well in your ROMs.

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Status
None
Yes Angelo's and my code is correct. After leveling up Lenna with the Mythril Shield supposed to be teaching Fire 2, it worked. My computer doesn't have access to Imageshack but Lenna DID learn Fire 2 from the Mythril shield after the fight. AP was shown as well.
$1DD1, Bit 3 IS the correct event bit for granting magic points. $43 is it's number in hex following the $B8 command. Smile Also look ahead at the third byte following the $43 and make sure there's nothing conflicting it's execution.
Not sure why Leno said the parameter was wrong at all. This worked perfectly from my tests.

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Threads: 1
Status
Runic
i,ve known it was done before, but i forget which hack it was. Surprised

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find

Status
None
Ugh, all that frustration and so many attempts and it all boiled down to a typo, where I entered the wrong value by mistake. >:O

Anyway, thanks guys. I got it to work. :)

EDIT: Hmm... still some difficulties actually. I've gotten it so that AP is gained after battle, and everyone has MP displayed and Magic selectable in their battle menu just as it would be after the event in Zozo.

However only Terra is actually learning the spells from equipment. As an experiment I have it so that the Mythril Knife teaches Libra x2. Terra and Locke are both equipped with it yet only Terra is learning the spell. I have Locke equipped with Ramuh and he can summon him in battle, yet he is not learning any spells.

Threads: 1
Status
Runic
i think that it's bugged of some sort. Sweat

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find