Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Teaching magic spells through weapons

Status
None
I've heard that learning magic from weapons is bugged, but I took a clean rom and allowed Excalibur to teach Ultima and it works fine. Not sure why people seem to think that. There is text in the item menu that covers up what spell is learned (2-hand), but the magic can still be learned. Perhaps people see that and assume weapons can't teach magic. But even armor is not teaching magic to non-Terra and Celes characters.

Just to be clear, in my hack I'm having issues with, I've made it so Espers DO NOT have a list of spells characters can learn magic from. They only learn magic through equipment. Even though characters such as Locke, Cyan, etc. have their MP displayed, can access Magic in-battle, and can summon espers, they don't learn magic from equipment until after the Zozo event anyway, which kind of negates the point of allowing Terra and Celes to, and mostly negates the point of learning magic through equipment entirely. For testing purposes I allowed Ramuh (the Esper I granted at the beginning of the game) to teach Fire and had Locke equip it. After battles he is learning magic from the Esper but still not from the equipment, which makes it all the more confusing.

Why is it that characters can now learn magic from Espers, but can't learn magic from equipment until after Zozo?

By the way, for anyone else wanting to attempt this, I also found out that in any battle with characters who don't normally learn magic (Vicks, Wedge, Bannon, Ghosts, Moogles), the enemy formations must NOT give MP/AP or the game will crash. This means nothing during the Magitek raid on Narshe can give MP, and nothing during the Lete River event can give MP without making it so those characters aren't in your party.

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Runic
interesting. Wink

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(07-27-2011, 02:55 PM)HaloOfTheSun Wrote: Ugh, all that frustration and so many attempts and it all boiled down to a typo, where I entered the wrong value by mistake. >:O

Don't worry, we get mistakes like that all the time.With experience you'll be able to detect mistakes quite easily.

(07-27-2011, 02:55 PM)HaloOfTheSun Wrote: EDIT: Hmm... still some difficulties actually. I've gotten it so that AP is gained after battle, and everyone has MP displayed and Magic selectable in their battle menu just as it would be after the event in Zozo.

However only Terra is actually learning the spells from equipment. As an experiment I have it so that the Mythril Knife teaches Libra x2. Terra and Locke are both equipped with it yet only Terra is learning the spell. I have Locke equipped with Ramuh and he can summon him in battle, yet he is not learning any spells.

I'm clueless about this one. Did you check usME?

Status
None
Well, I figured it out (sort of)! I have NO idea why this worked but, apparently, simply unequipping Ramuh fixed it. After doing that and entering a battle, the characters in question started learning spells. Re-equipping him brought the problem back though, so for SOME reason, there is a conflict there. Perhaps it has to do with no spells being in the espers' magic list? Oh well, this works for now.

Status
None
(07-27-2011, 09:39 PM)HaloOfTheSun Wrote: Perhaps it has to do with no spells being in the espers' magic list? Oh well, this works for now.

Might be, probably...

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Yea I'm kinda confused now as to who's fixed this issue on this thread, who hacked an event, or who still doesn't know what to do lolz so here's just a short video where I wrote everything out in Notepad and showed proof of it working on a non Terra/Celes character.
In the video, Cloud (Edgar) learns Holy from the Mythril Shield BEFORE Zozo. I go over how this was done in the video's notepad.
Wink IDK if this is helpful but just know it can be done :p
Linkie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wijLt2nqb0

And this is a second YT account as my other one has become an FPS Subscription only channel haha.

[Image: funnysiga.jpg]

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL Laugh
http://www.youtube.com/user/xJCSx1
  Find

Status
None
(07-28-2011, 12:44 PM)xJCSx Wrote: Yea I'm kinda confused now as to who's fixed this issue on this thread, who hacked an event, or who still doesn't know what to do lolz so here's just a short video where I wrote everything out in Notepad and showed proof of it working on a non Terra/Celes character.
In the video, Cloud (Edgar) learns Holy from the Mythril Shield BEFORE Zozo. I go over how this was done in the video's notepad.
Wink IDK if this is helpful but just know it can be done :p

I had already figured it out but I'm sure this will be helpful to others.

Long post incoming, but I would like to also share some oddities I've encountered through various testing:

*In Sabin's scenario, recruiting Shadow for some reason causes spell learning to cease, even though MP/AP is still being gained after battle. After Cyan joins, it fixes itself. If Shadow is recruited after Cyan joins, everything still works fine. I wonder if somehow the code that causes Shadow to randomly leave the party affects this? I don't know why Shadow would cause a problem specifically, and that's the only way he's different. Then again, Cyan joining fixes it, so I don't know. Just a minor issue anyhow.

*Gau will not learn any spells from equipment without an esper equipped, no matter what. I've tested dozens of different ways to troubleshoot this, but, at least in my game, he must have an Esper equipped. Not that big of a deal considering most people don't use Gau and by the time you get him, you're not that far off from Zozo. In my playthrough I've made it to WoR and he still will not learn magic without an Esper (Of course, by then it doesn't matter, Espers are equipped for the level-up bonuses).

*The "defend the Esper" event in Narshe (with 3 parties) only allows the first party to gain AP.

*I said before that all temp characters cannot be in battles where AP/MP is gained or else the game will crash. This is not entirely true. It does crash for Biggs, Wedge and the Moogles. For the Ghosts, everything works fine. For Bannon something very strange happens. If he is equipped with anything that teaches a spell and he is in a battle where AP is gained, the person below him will learn the spells from that equipment. I didn't think to try putting him in the bottom slot to see what happens.

Otherwise everything works perfectly. I know there are several people that want to add this element to FF6 a la FF9, as that skill-learning mechanic was popular and following xJSCx's video will definitely work if you can't figure it out.

Status
None
VERY BAD THINGS will happen if you forget to De-Equip banon his esper! The same goes to any non-permanent PC. Players will lose the esper forever!!!

JCS!! Does that mean you're back into hacking?!?!

Status
None
(07-28-2011, 07:00 PM)Angelo26 Wrote: VERY BAD THINGS will happen if you forget to De-Equip banon his esper! The same goes to any non-permanent PC. Players will lose the esper forever!!!

Not sure if this was directed at me or just a warning in general, but in my game I didn't give any non-permanent characters Espers.

Status
None
Yes, the post was to you, Halo.

The game's events do not remove equipped espers from any party members at any time before you gain your first set of espers in zozo. Suppose you give banon the Ramuh esper, and you forget to remove the esper before he leaves the party. When he is removed from your party, the esper will go with him, and you'll never get it back.