Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Teaching magic spells through weapons

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 6
Status
None
I stumbled across this thread after searching the forums. I have been wondering how to do this for some time now. I am by no means experienced at hex editing, but followed some of the tutorials that xjcsx has, as well inserted the code in the same place he has illustrated in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wijLt2nqb0

I can get it so that the characters will learn things from weapons, but there is no shown ability points gained after a battle. Any thoughts as to why this might be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I can get it to work correctly, I hope to make a patch for it that others can use without having to go through the hassle of figuring it out. Of course no credit of my own as I have just put into practice what others have already taught.

thanks
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
I just tried it and even if the battle event bit $1DD1 is not set you can lean magic from equipment. You probably set a piece of equipment to learn a magic at a certain rate, gave the Ability points to the correct formation (those two steps can be done in FF3usME), but you forgot to set the correct battle event bit. I beleive you need to actually play the event in which you added the command B8 43. If you just add it prior to where you are actually in the game the bit will not be set.

If you have Novalia spirit event bit document, this is what is stated:

1DD1:3 Enables the display of ability points acquired

So that bit does not enables the learning of magic, it simply enables the display of ability points.

Edit: Here a video showing what I mean: command B8 43
  Find

Status
None
thanks for the response.

being as noob as I am, how do i set the bit 1DD1:3 then? I have given the enemy formations magic points, and given the weapons a learning rate, and also replaced CC/A00A: 80 Add item $F6 ( Sleeping Bag) to inventory (80F6 with B843).

what is it that i need to do exactly - i'm still a bit confused on it.

thanks.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-09-2011, 05:50 PM)ribbits Wrote: thanks for the response.

being as noob as I am, how do i set the bit 1DD1:3 then? I have given the enemy formations magic points, and given the weapons a learning rate, and also replaced CC/A00A: 80 Add item $F6 ( Sleeping Bag) to inventory (80F6 with B843).

Command B8 set a specified bit (and command B9 does the opposite) and command 80 add an item to the inventory. So at offset CC/A00A (if I remember right it's the tritoch event..), you have set the bit . So all the battle after the first tritoch event should display magic points, if you set the magic points in the battle formation. In the little video I did, the bit is set by talking to the npc.

I simply did B8 43 4B XX XX (4B XX XX is displaying an certain message box) at the offset of the npc event.

You can set this bit or any event bit anywhere in the game, as long as you have space.

By what I read, you should already have set the bit. By replacing 80 F6 with B8 43, you're telling the game: instead of giving the party a sleeping bag, set the battle event bit 43.

The only thing I see why it wouldn't work, is that you are already after the tritoch event, you changed the code and you didn't played the event. Reload the game from the first save point and replay that event.

I hope my post helped...

Find

Status
None
just so i am clear, you are saying that I have set it correctly, but more than likely loaded up a game without playing past the tritoch sequence. so i need to go back and play through that sequence and it should be good?

thanks again.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(12-10-2011, 10:33 AM)ribbits Wrote: so i need to go back and play through that sequence and it should be good?

Exactly. Start a new game after making the change, and it should work if you set the bit correctly.