Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ff3se 2.12

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(06-01-2020, 09:23 PM)Lightning Wrote: Thanks for uploading that.  It appears that in order to use this version of FF3SE, I would have to move my monster graphics to E9? The problem is that my music samples are currently at E9.  My monster graphics are at F2, which I believe I did in order for the original version of FF3SE_m to work.  If I moved my music samples, I would have to change dozens of references to them, so this is more trouble than it is probably worth!

You could move them elsewhere than E9, that's just where we did it for RotDS. Take a look at the data info.txt there to see the code snippets that have an asterisk next to them, you'd need to change those to point elsewhere, as well as edit the asm file in tandem - you'd basically just need a place that has concurrent banks of free space, I think. More trouble than it's worth depends entirely on how much you want it lol. Thankfully there doesn't appear to be all that much code that would need to be updated to reflect new offsets, but yeah it does seem a bit intimidating I understand.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(06-01-2020, 09:46 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 09:23 PM)Lightning Wrote: Thanks for uploading that.  It appears that in order to use this version of FF3SE, I would have to move my monster graphics to E9? The problem is that my music samples are currently at E9.  My monster graphics are at F2, which I believe I did in order for the original version of FF3SE_m to work.  If I moved my music samples, I would have to change dozens of references to them, so this is more trouble than it is probably worth!

You could move them elsewhere than E9, that's just where we did it for RotDS. Take a look at the data info.txt there to see the code snippets that have an asterisk next to them, you'd need to change those to point elsewhere, as well as edit the asm file in tandem - you'd basically just need a place that has concurrent banks of free space, I think. More trouble than it's worth depends entirely on how much you want it lol. Thankfully there doesn't appear to be all that much code that would need to be updated to reflect new offsets, but yeah it does seem a bit intimidating I understand.

Actually, I see what you mean.  I am pretty comfortable moving code around (I already relocated the samples, the graphics, the dialogue, and other code for my hack).  I just wasn't willing to redo all the references to my music samples!  Lol.  I will mess with this in the coming days, thanks!
  Find

Status
None
I'm a bit confused with the hack. On the top of the "data info", it mentions the monster graphics being located at "E9A820" (which I assume is where the graphics are in ROTDS). I know I need to change that to F20000, which is where my monster graphics are located. However, when I look down at the code with asterisks next to it, the code mentions stuff in C1, not E9. Do I change C1 to F2? I'm not sure how this thing works exactly.

Also, the ASM hack code is different than the data info file, so I'm not sure how to modify these files in tandem (I thought they would be duplicates of each other, but they aren't). I just need a bit more guidance in regards to this. Thanks!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Actually ROTDS monster graphics start at 600000 (ExHiROM). You'll see in the ASM file this:

Code:
org $C3AF8D
lbl_AF8D:
lda #$60

org $C3AF93
lda #$0000

Those two lda is what you'll want to change to wherever you have 6 concurrent banks of free space. So lda #$F2 in your case, assuming you have F2-F7 open, that is where the monster graphics will go. It's probable you won't need 6 banks of space, but the hack and included sprite editor is set up for 6...or some shit >_<

Anyways now for the other stuff I had put in the E banks, what I would do, is for the ASM file change every instance of E9 and EC to whichever banks you choose for them instead. The ASM file should be ready to go then I reckon.

For the 'data info', the actual monster data stuff you'll will need to relocate manually into the correct places. For the info reference stuff at the start you can again just substitute the E9s to whichever bank you have it there in the 'new', for accurate reference. But what's important is updating those asterix lines. No, you don't need to change C1 to F2, just make the edit as it says there - the first two lines to edit (I think) don't reflect the new offset, so just make them 69 00 like it says. But the rest will all need to be updated to reflect the new offset, so again just swap the E9 only for whichever bank you choose instead, this should make it easy.

Don't forget this one:

Code:
monster graphics start location:
C3/AF8D:    A9 60        LDA #$60    ***
C3/AF8F:    85 F7        STA $F7
C3/AF91:    C2 20        REP #$20      
C3/AF93:    A9 00 00      LDA #$0000    ***

After you do all that, then you should be able to do the process described in the 'how to use' document. And the final step I imagine would be moving the 'old' monster data stuff into the 'new' locations, wherever they may be Objection!

Status
None
The only thing I am somewhat confused about still is why I have to move the monster graphics again, when they are already moved to a location that has plenty of free space as a buffer around it (the F2 bank). I know the Esper graphics need to be spaced away from the other graphics or something along those lines (if I am correct about what this patch does), but am I basically moving all my primary monster graphics again?
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
True, if you have F2-F7 open you can just change the $60 byte I had to $F2 and I'd imagine it should work. I neglected to keep in mind that was where you had your monster sprites expanded to already >_<

Status
None
(06-03-2020, 07:26 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: True, if you have F2-F7 open you can just change the $60 byte I had to $F2 and I'd imagine it should work. I neglected to keep in mind that was where you had your monster sprites expanded to already >_<

Wait, so I literally just change this line:

Code:
C3/AF8D:    A9 60        LDA #$60   

to this?
Code:
C3/AF8D:    A9 60        LDA #$F2   

And I am also guessing these lines in the ASM file also from $60 to $F2?

Code:
org $C3AF8D
lbl_AF8D:
lda #$60

Also, just to clarify, this is what I typed for my own reference back in the day when I expanded the monster graphics:

F1A820\31A820 - F1B2CB\31B2CB:
Pointer to 8-High Monster Composition Data,
Pointer to 16-High Monster Composition Data,
DATA Monster 8-High Composition Data,
DATA Monster 16-High Composition Data

*F20000\320000 - F60570\360570
Main Monster Graphics

Battle Scripts:
F70000\370000 - F75000\375000

I remember I had to do something special to get my 1.1 ROM working with FF3SE_m for expanded monster graphics. I hope this will work with what I have done... Also, thanks for your patience; I never did learn ASM hacking as well as other parts of hacking. Surprised
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Yeah, that's for the monster graphics location, changing that $60 to $F2 would have it take into account your monster graphics start at F20000.
But you'll also need to change anything that is org & lda $E9 or $EC as well, as was mentioned. Hopefully you have two more free banks they could be instead. And then of course make the changes as well for the 'data.info'.

It's no prob, assembly is totally not my strong suit either, I've just gotten familiar enough with it to move stuff around basically.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
One thing you got mixed up I think is that "Monster GFX data" is different from "monster GFX". The former is originally located at $D27000 and running GfxDataConv.exe will expand them from 5 to 6 bytes and relocate them at $ECD000 where monster GFX originally were. This is required to allow the hack to work. You'll also need to change in FF3SE source provided with the rest by changing you monster GFX offset from $600000 to $F20000 and similar thing for composition data.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
@Lightning OK now it might be more trouble than it is probably worth! Laugh
Rebuilding the source code and GfxDataConv.exe does not sound like much fun. Finger
But I've got zero expertise in this field.