Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Celes being KO'd is something I didn't even think of! That's easy enough to fix though, and I'll do it today.

For Mog "stuck in the floor", this is actually the sprite glitch in action. He should be facing right in that scene. Gestahl's script is unedited, so that must be a vanilla typo. I will fix it anyway.

I was able to fix all of the reported bugs over my lunch break today. Celes now has all negative statuses cleared before the Razing of Vector, so you shouldn't be KOed at the beginning. In addition, I finally found a use for the Interceptor NPC aboard the Falcon. If you somehow lost Dog Block status, for any reason, talking to Interceptor will restore it on Shadow. In addition, if you talk to Interceptor with Relm in the lead of your party, she will gain Dog Block too. The game gives no indication of this; it's a secret. Also, after learning a bit more about how the tilemap compressions work, I was able to fix the grass patch in Military Camp Magitek version (actually 7 grass patches, though 6 you never see). I just had as many tiles as possible repeat in the out of bounds section, saving 2 bytes per line. I turned those around to add the missing tiles.

I would also really like to thank you, Sarah-ga. Everyone deserves a playtester as detailed as you. Keep the reports coming!

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Sarah-ga (06-07-2021)

Status
None
RC4 is Available for Download

Changes:
Smile Celes's statuses are restored before the Razing of Vector scene, so poison, KO, etc. are cleared. Thanks Sarah-ga for finding that!
What?! All instances of the Invincible Guardian boss have been changed to non-battle event scenes.
Surprised  Talking to Interceptor aboard the Falcon will restore the Dog Block status to Shadow. If you have Relm in the lead of the party, she will also gain Dog Block.
Hold on Lone Wolf's shop aboard the Falcon has been reworked to be more useful. This includes adding X-Potions and X-Ethers, though they are QUITE pricey.
Finger Shadow's Throwing Star weapons have been balanced to account for their piercing damage. Tack Star is still the best equippable weapon that Shadow has, but the Ninja Star is equivalent to the Striker for most enemies. Gotta say I am loving this change. It gives Shadow a unique utility.
Cover  Cadet has had its name reverted back to Templar for the Alphabetical Rage sorting.
Pummel Mantodea's attack strength has been dropped from 180 (which I'm convinced is a bug) to 36... still one of the strongest enemies in the game, but a little more reasonably so. This should help you get the Imp-Partisan without dieing.
Kungfu!  And, as always, several typos have been fixed.

I have decided to not rebalance the Stamina stat for this hack. It's an excellent idea, but not something I can afford to do at this point.

I will be out of town on vacation for a week, so I may not respond to additional bug reports right away.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Sarah-ga (06-11-2021)

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thanks for considering the Stamina idea, even if it’s too much for you to do to change anything in the hack. I think I’d still push to just get rid of the Stamina Esper bonuses, but you do you.

I’m in the world of ruin now, and just got back Cyan. I think your changes to Strago’s motivations were the first time your additions didn’t completely gel with me, but I love the ways you changed Cyan’s storyline- I think it makes much more sense and works more thematically as “Cyan fighting his demons” the way it’s set up now. 

While I like recruiting people to be on the airship, It’s a huge pain to not have “Unequip everyone” on the airship from the start. I don’t mind having to hunt for it, I guess, but I wish it wasn’t Arvis who gave that ability, since Narshe is usually one of the very last places I go in the WoR (you need Locke to unlock the doors and you need at least eight people to find Locke, so it’s a decidedly late game area). I guess I could go there twice, but that fights against everything I believe in in how I tackle the WoR! 

Anyway, all the above is just meaningless rambles: I’m still very much enjoying the hack and I’m starting to think of Celes the Valkyrie and Leo the recruitable Templar as the canon versions of things, which is shocking and high praise as far as I’m concerned. I mostly wanted to respond because I found two bugs (I’m not on the version you just released in the post just above me, but one before).

1) Right outside of the cave in WoR that you use to enter Figaro castle, I fought a weird Pincer attack with only one enemy on my right and none on my left. I have no idea why anything you changed would create a weird pincer attack like this, but it popped up. It didn’t break anything though; I just murdered the fish snake enemy and the battle ended.

2) More importantly, when I traveled to Owzer’s House in the WoR, I ran into the letter that the Impresario is supposed to drop in the original introduction to Setzer. When I read it, it said “he dropped a letter” and then the game softlocked: presumably because I didn’t have Celes (or Locke) in my party. Anyway, I had to reset. The letter’s still on the floor, but I could just walk around it and enter Relm’s dungeon. 

Anyway, I hope either of those bug reports help you! Thanks again for the awesome hack!

Also, is Doomgaze still in the hack? I can’t seem to find her.
  Find

Status
None
[Image: FFVI-Divergent-Paths-RC4002.png]

Ohhh myyy.... The day the world WHAT??  Laugh
  Find

Status
None
Oh my god I just got to the Leo scene you added to the Ancient Castle...it's absolutely perfect. Without spoilers, I just adore the way this gives screentime to a character whose barely acknowledged in the original. What a wonderful way to tie a bow in that arc. 

I also adore the way you ended the Siegfried/Ziegfried thing. I always imagined it would end in a cool battle, but the whole story was always silly, and so I love that it ends in a silly way. Your extra stuff with Maria was great too, as it made Setzer into less of a kidnapper/rapist and more into the freewheeling gambler he's supposed to be. And I really liked meeting the 16th character. 

All of this hack is just amazing. This completely replaces the original for me.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Asmorano for this post:
  • PowerPanda (06-16-2021)

Status
None
More minor nitpicks  Tongue
Having way too much fun with this game!

FC: Kinda funny, Kefka calling Leo a brat.
Gravity Rod casts "Grav 2r".
Soul Sabre randomly casts "Doom".
Scholar in Figaro Castle: "It's said that it  has" (extra space)
Doma Castle: There's a really stupid hardlock if you try waking Cyan from the right. (Just pretend I didn't say anything lol.)
In the Colosseum: "Ziefried"
Versus Chadarnook: "DEMON: " (caps lock name)

Went through Dialog Editor, might as well mark the index numbers.
761 "dumped me over Barren Falls" (Baren)
769 "if only we had some Potion"  and
770 "you can send Potion" sound weird.
777 "He sent a Hi-Potion" (not consistent, unless you mean he was generous)
798 "That was Barren Falls"
1569 "wierd glowing stone"
2445 "He kept saying 'Thou' to everyone" (...do you still want this line in Kohlingen?)
2934 "DUNCAN'S WIFE" (caps lock)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sarah-ga for this post:
  • PowerPanda (06-16-2021)

Status
None
One more bug: the spell Refresh acts like you can cast it outside battle, but just buzzes like you don’t have the appropriate status to heal on everyone. It also has a weird description when you do this: it just says “Gs” in the menu. 

I feel like I ran into one other thing but can’t for the life of me remember what it was. 

Oh, and I found Doomgaze; she was just hiding.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(06-16-2021, 11:20 AM)Asmorano Wrote: One more bug: the spell Refresh acts like you can cast it outside battle, but just buzzes like you don’t have the appropriate status to heal on everyone. It also has a weird description when you do this: it just says “Gs” in the menu. 

The Purify spell also has an issue going on in that submenu, it says "lastN", which looks to be part of Mind Blast combined with N.Cross, from the spell names list. "Gs" is from 50 Gs, which is directly before Mind Blast.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
Just got the 16th character. Does FF6 not have an auto-Berserk relic? Am I thinking of Brave New World?
  Find

Status
None
Bugs and typos fixed from Sarah-ga's reply. I needed 20 bytes to fix the softlock on Cyan's dream, and I had a free block of 22 bytes. It's like it was meant to be.

For Purify/Refresh: Refresh was actually not supposed to be allowed from the menu, but Purify was. I set the wrong byte. I don't know what to do about the "lastN." Anyone have any ideas?

I also finished my full playthrough, and found an additional typo with the ForceField lore, which nullifies the "pearl" element instead of the "holy" element. I found a couple more instances of "Pearl" and fixed them.

There is one bug that is eluding me. In the final battle against Kefka, Strago loses the ability to use "Condemned" (his first Lore). I've checked the "known Lores" RAM while that scene plays, and he never stops knowing it. It just doesn't show up in the battle. Any ideas from anyone?

Projects:
  Find