Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Oh good, someone finally found the Level 2 limit break. I was wondering how long that would take. There's a 1 in 16 chance of getting X-Meteor when you trigger a Limit.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • casualtom (06-05-2021)

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Oh that's dope! Limits seem really common, felt like 1 in 2 attacks at critical. I'm not gonna go look up the RAM address though.

A-Also, I was feeling mischievous and skipped Celes. Took out TunnelArmr with the Thunder Rod, but I'm forced to talk to the Narshe guards and the game freezes after Locke gets slapped. OH WELL.
  Find

Status
None
I just finished a low-ish level run (just about everyone ended around level 17-18) for this hack on version 0.99.3.

First off, thank you so much, Power Panda, for all the hard work you put into this hack! I greatly enjoyed all the changes you made, both to the plot and to the game mechanics. FFVI was one of the first RPGs I ever played as a kid, and this hack made it feel like I was playing it for the first time again.

This hack was perfect for trying a low-ish or a low level run since everyone can now equip the Moogle Charm and it's available from the beginning of the game. Not sure if I missed them or if you added the additional Moogle Charms in a later version but having three charms for when the party splits up is nice. I ended up taking it off and re-equiping it whenever I switched parties, and of course I forgot to re-equip it more than once Laugh . The additional Esper bonuses & new spells helped out too.  

Off the top of my head, the most challenging spots I remember were :

1) Trying to do enough damage to kill all the rodents in the timed event at the Opera House. Do the rodents move faster in this hack? I had more trouble than I remember trying to avoid them, but it could just be me though. Also, not being able to spam Auto Crossbow made it more of a challenge too.

2) The Ifrit/Shiva fight in the Magitek Lab & the crane bosses right after you leave.

3) The tentacle bosses in the Figaro Castle basement. If I were to do it over again I would have spent more time teaching spells to Edgar, Sabin, and Celes in WoB, and stocked up on more items while I still had access to the Veldt for Magic Points & GP.

4) The final boss gauntlet, with Kefka in particular. I think I ended up playing through it five or six times before I finally finished it. I know it's cheese but I ended up beating Kefka by

Thanks again!
  Find

Status
None
Meanwhile I'm like "woot I beat TunnelArmr without Shadow nor the Thunder Rod"

Alright, here's my nitpick list for today.
-After the Returner meeting, one NPC says "please leave for Narshe".
-When getting the Diving Helmet, Terra nods repeatedly while facing away from everyone lol
-Hidden merchant before Imperial Camp: "We'll, no matter!"
-Despite not hearing Sabin in the Camp, Kefka still says silence.
-When Edgar jumps off his Magitek armor, the armor at the bottom disappears. (Guessing that's vanilla?)
-After leaving the Phantom Train, Sabin does the cool pose but Edgar says we gotta leave NOW

Also I gotta say Gau is super cute during the Narshe meeting.
  Find

Status
None
Have you considered making the Desperation attack trigger rate:
(100 - (current HP / max HP)) / n

Status
None
(06-05-2021, 10:29 PM)Sarah-ga Wrote: Meanwhile I'm like "woot I beat TunnelArmr without Shadow nor the Thunder Rod"

Alright, here's my nitpick list for today.

-After the Returner meeting, one NPC says "please leave for Narshe".  - Fixed
-When getting the Diving Helmet, Terra nods repeatedly while facing away from everyone lol - Japanese body language. It's intentional
-Hidden merchant before Imperial Camp: "We'll, no matter!" - Fixed
-Despite not hearing Sabin in the Camp, Kefka still says silence. - Awkward translation from Woolsey. I'm leaving it, and I fully expect someone (else) will merge this with a retranslation patch in the future.
-When Edgar jumps off his Magitek armor, the armor at the bottom disappears. (Guessing that's vanilla?) - I'll check. I want to say that it isn't. I don't think Shadow appeared in this scene originally, so it may be something caused by me adding Edgar.
-After leaving the Phantom Train, Sabin does the cool pose but Edgar says we gotta leave NOW - Yep. Sabin is gung ho, and Edgar is the somewhat more reasonable voice.

(06-05-2021, 09:45 PM)Sarah-ga Wrote: Oh that's dope! Limits seem really common, felt like 1 in 2 attacks at critical. I'm not gonna go look up the RAM address though.

A-Also, I was feeling mischievous and skipped Celes. Took out TunnelArmr with the Thunder Rod, but I'm forced to talk to the Narshe guards and the game freezes after Locke gets slapped. OH WELL.

Limits are 1 in 4, and that's intentional. I wanted to give the player a good reason to risk leaving someone in near fatal status. Near fatal also gets set at 1/4 HP, and not 1/8.

Are you able to do that sequence break in vanilla, or is that something I unintentionally caused?

(06-06-2021, 02:44 AM)MysticLord Wrote: Have you considered making the Desperation attack trigger rate:
(100 - (current HP / max HP)) / n

Someone's been playing too much Tactics Ogre lately.  Laugh  DAs are working how I want them to, and I don't plan to make that change.

(06-05-2021, 04:05 PM)Asmorano Wrote: 1) Stamina still does almost nothing in your hack, which feels really bad given that some of the initial Espers give it as a level up bonus. This especially feels incongruous as you fixed the evade bug so that evade does something, but you haven't changed anything to fix what is more or less another bug. Brave New World was practically built around making Stamina useful, and there's no reason to go that far, but I feel like you should either change stamina to do something useful, or you should remove the Esper bonuses that give Stamina to your party. 
I just want you to know that this suggestion is seriously messing with my head. I may have to leave this for someone else to do an addendum later on though, as I need to be done with this project so I can move on to other things. C-Dude had an idea on the Discord forums that may allow me to make Stamina more useful, allowing you to dodge attacks that only do status effects. I'm looking into it today.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Shell
(06-06-2021, 10:11 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: Are you able to do that sequence break in vanilla, or is that something I unintentionally caused?

No, you can skip getting Celes in vanilla. You just made it cause problems earlier than normal.

When I put your 3 scenarios changes into Beyond Chaos, I fixed that problem by making the guard stationary.
  Find

Status
None
It's fun doing the basement backwards for the loot, but if you leave town you're stuck with Kutan for Celes' dialogue.

After hearing about Setzer, Celes says she has an idea. But it must've been Locke's idea since it surprised her :V

Alright, the frickin opera.
During the opera intro, Draco ends with "to be with you" but sings 3 syllables. Maybe "for your side"? Really appreciate making the rest of the opera fitting the vocals and rhyming.
The score says Celes' part is Scene 3, but at the end says Scene 2 is about to start. Maybe change that to Scene 2 and 3?
Also not sure if this is intended or vanilla, editing these scenes is a pain in the ass though. (I usually get hung up on fixing the timing, but that's not very important.)
[Image: FFVI-Divergent-Paths-RC3009.png]

Celes yelling "That's HIM?" while still dizzy and flying is pretty funny.
Tintinabar recovers MP? Damn that's delicious. (Going all the way north in Vector the first visit will also pit you against Guardian.)
  Find

Status
None
Okay, I've fixed the 2 guardian battles, and that will be included in the sadly necessary RC4. Both of them now play an explosion sound effect and knock you back 1 screen, without ever getting you into a battle. I toyed with putting the actual Guardian enemy in, but that would have potentially allowed people to get Big Guard in the WoB, as well as farm Ribbons and Force Armors.

I also fixed the disappearing Magitek Suit in the Military Camp outside of Doma. As I suspected, Shadow wasn't seen in that original scene. Thus, I needed to borrow an NPC to show the empty magitek suit, and I accidentally borrowed the one that was on screen. Can't believe it took 4 years for someone to notice this. Before anyone else notes it, there is 1 fence tile at the very top of the camp (2ng Magitek version of the map) that doesn't have the right grass texture under it. Fixing it causes me to overflow the compressed graphics, and it is only on screen for a couple of frames, so I've left it as-is.

I am not going to fix Locke's scenario. If you want to sequence break by using the menu screen to clip through an NPC, then you get what you get.

For the opera, the lyrics are from Distant Worlds, and I'm going to leave them as they are. The overflowing text is, I believe, from Vanilla. I didn't touch the event code; just the dialog.

The Tintinabar does indeed restore MP. It restores 1/8th of Stamina in RC3 and before. I am going to change it to 1/16th in RC4, because I'm at the beginning of the WoR and Celes is getting close to 30mp restored between each battle.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Sarah-ga (06-06-2021)

Status
None
Oh I can't wait to try fighting it anyway and getting yeeted right out of Vector  Laugh
Just got to the invasion of Vector btw and
Poor Mog stuck in the floor xd
Also Gestahl says lowercase "returners" during the banquet, I forget if that's vanilla.
[Image: FFVI-Divergent-Paths-RC3009.png]

I died at the Banon scene on the boat Laugh
  Find