Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Well I don't have a current project... although I've only played like an hour of Chrono Cross~! (Bought it used and the disc froze at one of the first cutscenes, RIP).
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
(06-17-2021, 02:48 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: I am a professional board game developer, and for the past month I've been (poorly) running double duty on this hack and a game I'm designing/developing under contract. I need to be focused on that. (The game is Space Base if anyone is wondering. I am on a handshake agreement to develop the next 2 mini-expansions and the next boxed expansion.)

I plan to let this be the last big romhack, at least for a while. Since I started working on Divergent Paths, I have gotten a promotion, a second job, and jumped from 2 kids to 4. The time just isn't there anymore. I've only been able to finish it in these past 5 months because my second job is contract-based, and contracts were on pause while the manufacturing and shipping caught up from Covid. My wife asked me at the beginning of that time if there was anything that felt like "unfinished business", and I answered, "My FF6 hack."

As far as romhacks that I might be doing, there are 2 that I think are doable:
1. I have a hack for A Link to the Past that re-arranges the dungeon items and a select handful of overworld tiles to make the game non-linear in 3 sections: (1) The Light World Dungeons can be done in any order, (2) The first 4 dungeons of the Dark World can be done in any order, and (3) Dark World Dungeons 5 & 6 can be done out of order, but require items from the first 4 dungeons.
2. I am considering a hack to Chrono Trigger that separates Water and Ice into separate elements, and re-arranges the tech list to make each character feel more unique.

There is one BIG romhack on the level of Divergent Paths (or maybe even more) that I may just release my documents and plans for, and then people can do with that what they will. It is for Chrono Cross, and it is a rewrite of the story for a cast of 8 well-developed characters. It rewrites the backstory to make the events of the game feel less random, and adds a level of cosmology that drives the game towards its conclusion. I'd be willing to come along as the script writer for that project, but I don't think I'd be willing to do it as a coder.

I'd encourage making your work for this hack public.  It'll most likely cause quite a stir on romhacking.org.  Besides, Justin recently made his work for MMX3 - Zero Project public and it's been a 'ground swell' of innovation for the other games in the series.  We might just get a Capsule Remix of MMX2 with Zero playable during a newgame+ save...that last thought is ONLY speculation on my part...

At any rate, it'd help a great deal providing source code and personal notes on the project once it's released.  I couldn't find any problems during the minor play-through that I did for the hack...just using your savefiles.  I'm currently scripting a draft for your Divergent Paths hack (NO changes will be made to your portion of the script).  I may not have an adequate grasp of assembly language yet, but I've got a decent amount of talent when writing.  I never fully realized just how much of the vanilla script I disliked until I discovered I could make changes to it.  I'll get a decent script update out there for you (at least for the vanilla portions)...maybe late this Summer or early Fall...it all depends on my free time.  I'll NEED help turning it into an .ips after the work has been done because I want it to be available for general use.  I can always ask for help with that around here when I'm done with the rough draft.

Oh!  Finally, I'd encourage you to drop a message over on Zeldix to see if they'd be interested in making an MSU-1 file for your new song.  They're pretty upstanding characters over there so I'd be surprised if they didn't put it on their list of things to do.  Also, instructions on how to inject Leo's theme song into a vanilla rom might be helpful to some of us...honestly, I haven't tried that yet.

If you ever get a chance to make time for the Zelda hack, then zeldix.com is the place to go to get people excited about the project.  There's one patch on the site that I haven't gotten to play with...it turns the Book into a useful item on the battlefield (i.e. fighting monsters).
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hello FINAL FANTASY 6: DIVERGENT PATHS IS COMPLETED AND RELEASED Frog

That's it. It's done. I'm submitting it to Romhacking.net now.

The initial post contains the final file, in both a headered and unheadered format. I have corrected the checksum, which should mitigate any patching issues. The following changes were made between RC4 and the Final Version:

Surprised Typos corrected, as usual
Kappa! Refresh can no longer be used from the menu
Objection! Doom has been renamed to Death, and Condemned to Doom
Hold on Shadow's shurikens have been balanced out, and the graphics were changed for the Tack Star to be as big as the Ninja Star
Hit The Checksum has been corrected, and an unheadered version is now available

In this final release, you will find a new Save Archive in the EXTRAS folder. There have been several changes to the manual too.

(06-19-2021, 04:56 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: I'd encourage making your work for this hack public.  It'll most likely cause quite a stir on romhacking.org.  Besides, Justin recently made his work for MMX3 - Zero Project public and it's been a 'ground swell' of innovation for the other games in the series.  We might just get a Capsule Remix of MMX2 with Zero playable during a newgame+ save...that last thought is ONLY speculation on my part...

I have made most of my work public already. Off the top of my head, the following patches are available here on the forums. They were developed for Divergent Paths:
FULL ROSTER: Allows you to add a fully-playable 15th and 16th character
EVERYBODY GETS A CHOCOBO: Adds missing graphics for guest characters to ride Chocobos and Magitek Suits. Also incorporated into the Full Roster hack.
CYAN'S UNEVENTFUL DREAM: Removes the party split at the beginning of Cyan's Dream, freeing up over 1kb of event space. Necessary for the Full Roster hack to not crash at that part of the game.

EQUIPMENT CHECK and COMMAND REPLACEMENT: Already posted on the forums here by Madsiur and Gray Shadows.

DUAL WIELD: Allows weapons to be restricted from Dual Wielding. A final version of this will be released soon.
BREAKABLE TOOLS: ASM by Subtraction is fully available on my post asking for help. A final version of this will be released soon.
AQUATIC CAVES: Adds a new battlefield to the Ancient Cave that teaches Water Rondo.
STEAL TWICE: Allows Locke to steal both the common and rare item. ASM is available in my post asking for help. A final version of this will be released soon.
TINTINABAR RESTORES MP: A final version of this will be released soon.

For anything else, Divergent Paths remains compatible with FF3usME, FF6LE, and ZoneDoctor CE. Using those programs, you will be able to view and recreate almost all of the other changes.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Joshua H. (06-19-2021), Sarah-ga (06-19-2021)

Status
None
Nice work! I've been noticing the patches digging through the forums and such here. I'll do my footwork from now moving foreward. So glad you were able to finish it!
  Find

Status
None
Divergent Paths has been posted on Romhacking.net:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5997/

The thing that separates the wheat from the chaff on RHDN is reviews. Patches with good reviews get exponentially more downloads. If you have played through the hack and enjoyed it, would you be willing to go leave a quick review? Thanks.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (06-22-2021), ranatalus (06-22-2021), Sarah-ga (06-20-2021), Serj (06-20-2021), TBranford (06-20-2021)

Status
None
Looks like you have two now~

I used the save games to watch the ending. Shadow's ending made me cry, gee thanks!  Hmm
And I would've probably died laughing if Mog was introduced as "Widdle Kupokins Mog"  Laugh

I'm starting a playlist here btw.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Sarah-ga for this post:
  • PowerPanda (06-20-2021)

Status
None
(06-13-2021, 06:54 PM)Asmorano Wrote: 1) Right outside of the cave in WoR that you use to enter Figaro castle, I fought a weird Pincer attack with only one enemy on my right and none on my left. I have no idea why anything you changed would create a weird pincer attack like this, but it popped up. It didn’t break anything though; I just murdered the fish snake enemy and the battle ended.

Dredging this back up from a few pages ago but I feel like this happened to me once in vanilla and it was equally confusing.

(06-20-2021, 12:38 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: Divergent Paths has been posted on Romhacking.net:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5997/

The thing that separates the wheat from the chaff on RHDN is reviews. Patches with good reviews get exponentially more downloads. If you have played through the hack and enjoyed it, would you be willing to go leave a quick review? Thanks.

Review left! Thank you so much for all your work. Now that it's in a final state, I'm excited to play through the whole thing--I'm particularly excited for the Razing of Vector.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ranatalus for this post:
  • PowerPanda (06-22-2021)

Status
None
Hey, has anyone gotten the Mog Sprite Glitch on v1.0? I have a crazy idea, that's probably wrong, but I can't shake it.

I wonder if it was copy protection. All versions of the game that I have seen the glitch happen in had garbage data in the Checksum. The Checksum is located at C0/FFDC, and it contains 2 byte pairs. One is the actual checksum, and the other is a "control" pair that when added to the first pair equals $FFFF. Now, it's not just that earlier versions of Divergent Paths had the wrong checksum (they did, because I didn't care), but because of some manual hex edits I had done, the 2 pairs at FFDC did NOT total $FFFF. They actually overflowed and added up to $1093C. Again, the theory is probably wrong, but I haven't noticed the glitch since fixing the checksum.

Projects:
  Find

Status
None
I'm getting ready to share an addendum script of Divergent Paths with all you guys here at FF6H.  It'll be the first draft, so I'm looking for feedback and further editing.  I'm still not good at expanding roms myself and have been using Rodimus Primal's Ted Woolsey patch as a "starter script".  That way, I can playtest my changes without too much fuss.  If anyone's down to help teach a newb how to expand roms so the changes in the script will show for everyone interested, I'd be grateful.  I'll need to know that sort of thing when I'm ready to patch, since "DP Final-cut" isn't expanded.

Also, is it possible to attach (or otherwise publically upload) the .txt file to this site?  I'd like to give those interested a crack at playtesting the script changes...

Laugh  Here's an excerpt. Buckle -up for the "feels trip":  Laugh

[caption #1000]
Rachael: What sort of treasure are we off to find today, <Locke>?

[caption #1001]
<Locke>: You're not going to believe what I've discovered up here!

[caption #1002]
<Locke>: Come on, it's worth a fortune!

[caption #1003]
Rachael: <Locke>!
The bridge!

[caption #1004]
<Locke>: RACHAEL!

[caption #1005]
<Locke>: Rachael!
You're okay?!

[caption #1006]
Rachael: Who ARE you?!

[caption #1007]
Rachael's Father: They'd just accepted her enrollment at
The Imperial Academy!<EOP>
Rachael's Father: It's YOUR fault she's lost her memory!
<Locke>: Wait a minute!
Just let me talk with her_

[caption #1008]
Rachael: Leave us alone! I don't know who you are, but your presence isn't welcome here anymore!

[caption #1009]
It may be best to leave Rachel
alone for a while. She'll need to
start a new life soon_
<EOP>
<Locke>, I'm so sorry.

[caption #1010]
<Locke>: When I returned home,
I discovered that Rachel had perished in an Imperial attack
against the town. <EOP>
<Locke>: I never should
have left her side_

[caption #1017]
Oh! Is that you, <Locke>?
It's been a while!
<EOP>
Not to worry, your love is quite safe down here!

[caption #1018]
Are we satisfied? Medicine
won't make itself, you know?

[caption #1019]  (out of sequence caption - referancing caption #1021)
<Locke>:
_ _ _

[caption #1020]
I used some of my BEST
herbs to preserve her body.
She won't age a day!

[caption #1021]
<Locke>: You're SURE those herbs
will work?

[caption #1022]
Of course! The love of your life
will sleep here, like this, forever.

[caption #1023]
<Locke>: What if there were
some way to bring her back?

[caption #1024]
You mean the legendary Phoenix_?
With a [treasure] like that you could bring ANYONE back. All your grief would come to an end.
And, maybe her's would too_

[caption #1025]
<Locke>: I miss her_

[caption #1026]
<Celes>:
_it's uncanny_

[caption #1027]
Someone desperate enough to preserve her life asked me to keep her down here - locked in a state of eternal rest - until they return.

[caption #2591]
[<Locke>!]

[caption #2592]
<Locke>: You're all safe?! Thank the gods! <D>
Behold! Pheonix, the legendary treasure that will end all grief, itself!

[caption #2593]
[That looks like Magicite!] <EOP>
<Locke>: It is! Legend says that ages ago the Phoenix turned itself into stone to redeem the life of another. And, it appears that the legend is true. <EOP>
<Locke>: She's got some major cracks in her, though_
I'm afraid she may have lost her power.

[caption #2594]
<Celes>: <Locke>! You've been searching for SO long_

[caption #2595]
<Locke>: When Rachael passed, nothing made sense anymore. Somehow I lost the truth_ <EOP>
<Locke>: Nothing this world has to offer will ever be real to me without that_ <EOP>
I must find a way to reclaim the truth!

[caption #2596]
[So, you're headed to Kohlingen_?]

[caption #2597]

Sometime later, in the village of Kohlingen_ <E$FF><OP$12>

[caption #2598]
If only the Magicite didn't bear those deep cracks_
I guess it won't work after all. <Locke>, I'm sorry_

[caption #2599]
<Locke>:
_why_

[caption #2600]
The Magicite_!
It completely shattered!

[caption #2601]
Rachel: <Locke>_

[caption #2603]
<Locke>: Rachael! <EOP>
Rachael: The Phoenix has used the last of its power to give me a few moments. I'll have to leave again soon. <EOP>
Rachael: But, there's something I MUST tell you, something I never had the chance to say in life_

[caption #2604]
Rachael: In my dying moments, my memory returned, and I thought only of the joy you brought me. <EOP>
Rachael: I want you to remember how happy you made me, darling! Because it's true!

[caption #2605]
<Locke>: *sob-sob* <EOP>
Rachael: You MUST cast off the anguish you've been harboring against those who've harmed you! Those chains have bound your heart for too long! <EOP>
Rachael: You MUST fully love again_whomever your heart desires! Someone needs you more than they can say. Please, love her as much as you did me_<EOP>
Rachael: Phoenix! Be reborn! And, mend my love's broken-heart!

[caption #2606]
<A1>: Rachael...<D>thank you.

[caption #2607]
<Celes>: No, <Locke>...<D>thank you.

[caption #2608]
<Locke>: Thanks, I'm okay_ <D>
Healing Rachael put my heart at ease. From here on out, I'll be all right. Let's go! We've got work to do!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-26-2021, 04:07 AM)Joshua H. Wrote: Also, is it possible to attach (or otherwise publically upload) the .txt file to this site?  I'd like to give those interested a crack at playtesting the script changes...

The only option is to put your txt file as an attachment to your post. You can do that by editing your post and add an attachment.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Joshua H. (06-26-2021)