Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Which Patches Seem Good But Are Bugged?

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
(05-07-2016, 02:39 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 10:08 PM)Imzogelmo Wrote: I'd suggest a sticky topic for a discussion, and maybe a whole table on a wiki page for the bug and fix listing.

That is a good idea. Each bug entry could have a title, description, the fix patch link (if applicable) and relevant link(s) to post(s) / thread(s) where it is discussed (whether on mnrogar, Slick Forums, RHDN or here). That is a nice project to start with Smile

So yes, life has happened, but I'm wondering how many fruit are still at the top of the tree?

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Imzogelmo: that's some horrible news!  i hope you are feeling as well as is possible.  it's always good to see you active on the forums, but as SilentEnigma said, i wish it were under better circumstances.  it was shocking to read that signature a couple days ago.  glad the treatment has been helpful.

----

regarding patch stuff:

my Brushless Sketch patch has a bug (and a simple fix), discussed 3+ years ago here:
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....n#msg27556

credit to Xenovant for both confirming the bug and testing the fix.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • Imzogelmo (10-19-2020)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Status
Weakness
Thanks Assassin. Yeah it's actually much worse than I let on, but I have always tried to maintain a positive attitude and I think that's a trait I need now more than ever. 

...But let's not dwell on the negative. I'm not here seeking attention or a pity party. I am going to say this, however: I know I have some old buggy patches out there, hand-coded in the stone ages, and I probably won't be updating them myself (web site included). If anyone wants to host them (fixed preferably), I hereby give permission and encouragement that they do so. After many years and dozens of sites and forums going defunct, the thought of old patches and documents being lost (and many have been) saddens me greatly. Please let the legacy live on. </rant>

EDIT
So back to the purpose of this thread, what all bugged patches do we know of, and which beta patches out there still not ready for prime time? Can we collect a list into one place and get some eyes on them?

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Imzogelmo for this post:
  • Rodimus Primal (01-28-2021)

Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
cklein0001's 24-bit HP patch has a bug where it makes monsters in the 5th (/6th?) slot unbeatable. I wanted a Kefka that had over 65535 HP, but couldn't get past the first tier of the final fight to test it.
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Status
Enlight
(10-19-2020, 04:55 PM)Imzogelmo Wrote: Can we collect a list into one place and get some eyes on them?

I think we could go a long way with a new table on the wiki to keep track of this stuff.
Headers something like:

Bug/Feature (w/ link to description) || Applicable Patch || Version || Status || Status description || Known conflicts

...Or start over again with the "Patches" Section?
(If so, I suggest not getting bogged down with keeping track of patch allocation...)

Threads: 3
Status
None
Regarding the bug with Imzogelmo's Gogo+Cursed Shield patch, a fixed version of the FF3(US) patch can be found here (headered):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10QGeyST...sp=sharing

I'm not sure how it happened, but there's a missing $FF byte at `C25FE5`. The fix was as simple as finding the relevant batch in the `ips` hex and inserting the missing byte (and incrementing the batch length).
  Find

Thanks Received: 10
Status
None
there are actually 2 issues with it:
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....3#msg27213

C. V. Reynolds's mega-patch reportedly fixes both of them.

as for the individual .IPS, there's no need for two batches now that you've expanded the one to touch its predecessor.  for cleanliness, i'd merge 'em.  (or apply the mega-patch, copy the hex bytes from the relevant function into a clean ROM, and make a new patch from scratch that way.)

Threads: 3
Status
None
(01-22-2021, 05:40 AM)assassin Wrote: there are actually 2 issues with it:
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index....3#msg27213

C. V. Reynolds's mega-patch reportedly fixes both of them.

as for the individual .IPS, there's no need for two batches now that you've expanded the one to touch its predecessor.  for cleanliness, i'd merge 'em.  (or apply the mega-patch, copy the hex bytes from the relevant function into a clean ROM, and make a new patch from scratch that way.)

Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated my previous post with a new link to a fully-fixed version. This `.ips` patch is meant to be a replacement for the original broken patch.
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(10-19-2020, 04:55 PM)Imzogelmo Wrote: Thanks Assassin. Yeah it's actually much worse than I let on, but I have always tried to maintain a positive attitude and I think that's a trait I need now more than ever. 

...But let's not dwell on the negative. I'm not here seeking attention or a pity party. I am going to say this, however: I know I have some old buggy patches out there, hand-coded in the stone ages, and I probably won't be updating them myself (web site included). If anyone wants to host them (fixed preferably), I hereby give permission and encouragement that they do so. After many years and dozens of sites and forums going defunct, the thought of old patches and documents being lost (and many have been) saddens me greatly. Please let the legacy live on. </rant>

EDIT
So back to the purpose of this thread, what all bugged patches do we know of, and which beta patches out there still not ready for prime time? Can we collect a list into one place and get some eyes on them?

Man, reading that hit me hard. I can only over my prayers and we'll wishes.

Back on topic, Alphabetical Rage doesn't seem to work with Woolsey Uncensored correctly since the names are of course changed. It certainly makes me wish a Bestiary could be made for the SNES version of the game.

Description Disruption is another one that does not seem to jive well with TWUE either. I think it might be something to do with one of the other bug fixes or the Music Player.
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Status
Enlight
(01-28-2021, 11:14 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: Description Disruption is another one that does not seem to jive well with TWUE either.

The issue is indeed a conflict with the Music Player.
The patch has been updated for compatibility.

I did some brief testing with TWUE 3.01 as well, should be good now.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • Rodimus Primal (03-02-2021)