FF6 Hacking

Full Version: FF6 - Brave New World
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Man, Gau and Isis sure do interact weird.

Gau starts acting strange after the charm @ 2:30. About half way through, Gau gets really strange. Do Rages cancel Ribbons?
(08-15-2013, 11:08 PM)Krut the VII Wrote: [ -> ]Man, Gau and Isis sure do interact weird.

Gau starts acting strange after the charm @ 2:30. About half way through, Gau gets really strange. Do Rages cancel Ribbons?

That's normal behavior. Charm is like muddle, but doesn't respect muddle immunity.
I think he's more referring to the fact that Gau moved like halfway across the battlefield. For some reason, whenever he used Hush, he didn't always step back into his original position.

I have no idea why that would be.
(08-17-2013, 02:52 PM)Synchysi Wrote: [ -> ]I think he's more referring to the fact that Gau moved like halfway across the battlefield. For some reason, whenever he used Hush, he didn't always step back into his original position.

I have no idea why that would be.

Oh, that. Didn't see that far in.

I dunno, maybe Gau is trying to cop a feel. Can't say I'd blame him.

In any case, there's always been something odd about Gau's battle animation. The version of Ninja Wave that he uses is basically a clone of the normal one, for example, because something about the spell slot the normal one is in was making Gau do the same thing.
Sup. Registered just for this thread, have been playing the mod since last night. Learned about it through a stream that spoiled the Celes events at the end of the WoB, so I was curious what would happen if you had Kutan instead for that sequence. Just finished doing the Kutan glitch in Locke's path after already finishing the other two routes, was kinda surprised that the boss at the end of the scenario was fairly easily solo'd - I used the Thunder Rod, then a few rounds of physical attacks saw a fairly easy victory. Actually just replayed through to grab Merchant clothes for Locke as well as the Ribbon/MagicCube relics (Was everything else in the basement chests so bad in vanilla FF6, btw? Now the gear down there is the same as what Terra starts the game with).

On the subject of Tek Rider, he really likes to spam Sleep, which I managed to evade twice my first time through, and then when I replayed it with the Ribbon he used it three times in 5 rounds; I only used a single Tonic my second time through, and I didn't heal at all on my first run (First time through I got considerably lucky with the Sleep dodges and then my ~70% evade let me take no damage from the Drill attack). Locke's set-up was Rune Edge/Main Gauche for weapons (MG over Butterfly for the evade chance), Green Beret and Karate Gi (Again, for the Evade chance), and then Ribbon/BlackBelt relics. I don't recall seeing BB react on a Drill hit, but I was using the fast forward button to skip waiting so I may have missed it; this set-up gave me two failures before I managed to get only one offensive spell that wasn't Poison used. I beat him my first try with Tek Rider only using Fire and then doing nothing but whiffing attacks, so I was really lucky there, but with the above set-up I feel Locke can solo Tek Rider much more easily than you intended.

As for Kutan, I am assuming all your planned scenes should still work fine, since the original Kutan glitch worked without an issue - Opera Scene happens as normal, while Magitek Factory is simply a lot more adorable than originally intended, so I imagine the sequence against Nimufu will work as intended. If not, well I made a save state as a backup for Locke's scenario, so I can just play it legit otherwise.
(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]Sup. Registered just for this thread, have been playing the mod since last night. Learned about it through a stream that spoiled the Celes events at the end of the WoB,

Ah, you caught it on the Betus Beat, I take it.

(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]so I was curious what would happen if you had Kutan instead for that sequence.

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Glitching in Kutan does nothing except make Celes much more aggravating to play as in this mod or any other version Smile

(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]Just finished doing the Kutan glitch in Locke's path after already finishing the other two routes, was kinda surprised that the boss at the end of the scenario was fairly easily solo'd - I used the Thunder Rod, then a few rounds of physical attacks saw a fairly easy victory.

That much will eventually change. The mod wasn't designed to rape players right out of the gate, but it will get much more annoying later on to have a gimped Celes.

(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ](Was everything else in the basement chests so bad in vanilla FF6, btw? Now the gear down there is the same as what Terra starts the game with).

That's been changed. I made an active attempt to make the player actually shop for equipment in this mod, which is pointless if you can outfit your party entirely out of treasure chests. The basement chests are now only useful if you don't have anything else to equip Celes with.

(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]On the subject of Tek Rider, he really likes to spam Sleep,

Sleep is on a timer, and so it gets used every 20 or 30 (I forget which) seconds.

(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]I don't recall seeing BB react on a Drill hit, but I was using the fast forward button to skip waiting so I may have missed it

Y'know, now that you mention it, I have absolutely no idea whether or not a "special" physical attack can trigger a BB counter.

(08-18-2013, 01:22 AM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]I feel Locke can solo Tek Rider much more easily than you intended.

Not really. It's little more than a tutorial battle, and it's even very possible to beat without Runic. The difficulty doesn't really start to ramp up until after the Battle of Narshe.
Quote:Ah, you caught it on the Betus Beat, I take it.
Indeed. Hack seemed interesting enough (I've played a few other full game mods of FF6, so another was right up my alley), and I have to say I've really enjoyed what I've played so far. That said...

Quote:Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Glitching in Kutan does nothing except make Celes much more aggravating to play as in this mod or any other version Smile
FILTHY LIES. I'm not sure how you wrote the script for the Nifumu battle, but I just got there a few minutes ago and Kutan!Celes dies with the rest of the party, giving me an "Annihilated" message and sending me to the main menu like any normal time. Kutan does not register as Celes at all for the purposes of negating that spell damage, so I'm heading back to my previous save back in the Locke scenario. Serves me right, skipping Celes like that. I attached a savestate right before Nifumu, if you want to check it yourself. [EDIT: I can't attach a ZSNES savestate file, anybody have an alternate option?]

Not upset, btw, as I had been considering restarting back there after this anyway - Not having Celes was really bumming me out, since she's one of my favorites in the original game. It was my own foolishness that got me into this mess anyway Laugh

Quote:That much will eventually change. The mod wasn't designed to rape players right out of the gate, but it will get much more annoying later on to have a gimped Celes.
Annoying was pretty much the right word, at least for the second half of the WoB when you're forced to drag Celes around. Magitek Factory wasn't difficult (Locke/Cyan combo makes pretty much everything stupidly easy), but I found myself thinking "This wouldn't be as bad if I wasn't essentially 3-manning this dungeon".

Anyway, I guess my thoughts on the hack as far as WoB goes:

General thoughts are that the hack itself is really well done in general, though it feels like esper choices for some characters (Gau, Shadow, and Mog especially, though Sabin frustrated me a bit with how late Golem is found in WoB) weren't made with the availability of the espers in mind; Gau and Mog only having +Stamina and +Magic options respectively really limits the kind of builds I can do with them later on, especially since I don't run from fights and have no issues fighting extra battles time to time (I walked to every location on the Imperial Continent before finally going to Vector the first time, for example).

Bigger boss fights felt very well done, btw; Dadaluma was a monster of a fight that, even though I beat him with everyone standing, I felt was one of the closest calls of the hack. Atma was similarly difficult, though he traded in sheer power for a lot of utility; he did have a couple attacks that hurt badly, but for the most part it was a matter of keeping my health up on everyone while still finding time to attack often so he didn't regen too much. The only bosses I've felt were lacking were the IAF (The missile sidekicks make the initial barrage tough, but they're so frail and once they go down the fight is pretty much over), and maybe Number 024 (I went into that fight with a physical-heavy party though, so I could see him being tougher for a more magic-based crew).

The characters all seem really significantly different from one another, which is something I'm really grateful for. I've tried to use everyone as much as possible, spending a lot of time on the Veldt to make sure everyone has a full spell list; my biggest complaint would have to be Setzer, who just doesn't feel like he has the tools to be anything decent yet. His equipment in WoB sucks, I've never been a fan of slots, his spell list is rather weak, and as far as healtanks go Edgar has dispel/remedy to Setzer's Regen/Rerise, so I give the edge to Edgar. I expect him to get a lot better come his WoR items, though, as Fixed Dice have always been a favorite item of mine and he's getting his own Offering for them too.

Cyan would likely be my MVP, though I purposely didn't use Sabin after seeing/reading how great he is in this hack and deciding to give other characters a shot. Cyan has great defensive items, a free self-replenishing move that also works great as a debuff, the most powerful attack for this point of the game (Dragon is wrecking everything and I love it), and access to Kirin, which is amazingly powerful as a healing/buff summon - I'd say his low speed is an issue, but with default speed settings his turn comes up more than fast enough anyway.
(08-20-2013, 05:42 PM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]FILTHY LIES. I'm not sure how you wrote the script for the Nifumu battle, but I just got there a few minutes ago and Kutan!Celes dies with the rest of the party, giving me an "Annihilated" message and sending me to the main menu like any normal time. Kutan does not register as Celes at all for the purposes of negating that spell damage

This is very interesting, because pretty much every aspect of the game's code identifies characters by their slot rather than their actual identity. The opcodes in the battle scripts are consistent with this formula (i.e. it specifies character number six, who is Celes), so I don't see why it wouldn't respect Kutan in her place.

(08-20-2013, 05:42 PM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]...though Sabin frustrated me a bit with how late Golem is found in WoB

Golem is available right after Zozo now >.>

(08-20-2013, 05:42 PM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]Gau and Mog only having +Stamina and +Magic options respectively really limits the kind of builds I can do with them later on...

Bear in mind that both of those characters are totally optional, and so I was a little less concerned about splitting up their stat boosts between the WoB and WoR espers.

(08-20-2013, 05:42 PM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]The only bosses I've felt were lacking were the IAF (The missile sidekicks make the initial barrage tough, but they're so frail and once they go down the fight is pretty much over), and maybe Number 024 (I went into that fight with a physical-heavy party though, so I could see him being tougher for a more magic-based crew).

IAF was actually one of the most notoriously difficult bosses in beta, and Atma Weapon was fairly underwhelming. Before we released it, I nerfed the f**k out of IAF and beefed up Atma Weapon significantly

number 24 is mostly meant to serve as a beef gate to prevent underleveled parties from getting trapped in an area of no return.

(08-20-2013, 05:42 PM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]My biggest complaint would have to be Setzer, who just doesn't feel like he has the tools to be anything decent yet. His equipment in WoB sucks, I've never been a fan of slots, his spell list is rather weak, and as far as healtanks go Edgar has dispel/remedy to Setzer's Regen/Rerise, so I give the edge to Edgar. I expect him to get a lot better come his WoR items, though, as Fixed Dice have always been a favorite item of mine and he's getting his own Offering for them too.

His physical attacks become much more useful in the WoR once he gets the new "Offering" relic. His magical offense is actually quite good if you can hit his slots, though most people just spam losing spins for free heals.

I haven't heard much about people making any use of his offensive spell collection, myself included (though I do find his cure spells to be effective against undead enemies in the cave to the Sealed Gate and Daryl's Tomb). One would assume, though, that Bio could hit pretty hard with lots of magic boosts and if you stack him for magic power.

(08-20-2013, 05:42 PM)Julford Wrote: [ -> ]Cyan would likely be my MVP, though I purposely didn't use Sabin after seeing/reading how great he is in this hack and deciding to give other characters a shot. Cyan has great defensive items, a free self-replenishing move that also works great as a debuff, the most powerful attack for this point of the game (Dragon is wrecking everything and I love it), and access to Kirin, which is amazingly powerful as a healing/buff summon - I'd say his low speed is an issue, but with default speed settings his turn comes up more than fast enough anyway.

Well, assuming you're playing the latest version, his speed is equivalent to that of Edgar, Setzer, and Terra (Strago is the only slow one now). And he actually is quite useful; the issue is less his speed and more his survivability, which tends to be lower than that of a stamina-built Sabin.

(Though, for the record, Kirin really isn't a buff summon - it's just a Cure 2 spell with no split loss)
Just signed up to say "Good job!" I also discovered this hack through The Betus Beat and I'm glad I did, because you guys made FF6 fun for me again.

I just completed this about 15 minutes ago and I was very impressed with nearly everything about this hack. The battles were challenging but fair, the balancing was a welcome change, and the script changes, for the most part, were good (The references were hit-and-miss for me, and the F-bombs Kefka and Relm threw out were jarring, almost out of place to me).

I went into the final battle with a conservative approach, using Terra, Celes, Sabin and Setzer as my first four characters (and let me say I was very pleasantly surprised that Setzer became a personal favorite; I made great use of his Cure 3/RegenX/Rerise spells, and Fixed Dice with Daryl's Soul for damage). The only things I really missed having in the fight were HasteX, Shield and the ZoneSeek summon.

I also wanted to ask about the Unlockme folder. I figured a password would be given out in the game's final screen or something but I didn't see anything like that. I've been really curious about it since finding out there was more info to be found in it while lurking here, like the Colosseum wager list and so on.

I suppose that's all from me for now. Thanks again for making this.
Quote:This is very interesting, because pretty much every aspect of the game's code identifies characters by their slot rather than their actual identity. The opcodes in the battle scripts are consistent with this formula (i.e. it specifies character number six, who is Celes), so I don't see why it wouldn't respect Kutan in her place.
Agreed, I'm not sure why it isn't working for her either; I'm half-tempted to get as far as naming her before doing the glitch to escape South Figaro without her, to see if that affects anything, but that's too much effort for what is potentially another roadblock and I want to see the second half of the game Tongue

I'm not familiar with how FF6 checks event flags, so sorry if this is dumb - When you skip over recruiting Celes, is there some byte that isn't being properly set that allows the game to recognize her? Like, Celes shows up as normal in the line-up at Narshe, but once you switch to her or when you enter the party forming screens she's back to a moogle; this stays the case until the Opera House, where her sprite becomes normal Celes for every situation from then on out (But still retains the Kutan traits where you can't alter relics/equips/skills and has no runic command).

Also, is Kutan for certain the stand-in for Celes' spot (ie is Character 6 until Celes' data overwrites it during her recruitment), or is she instead a dummy value that the game pulls when trying to load an unrecruited character?

Quote:Golem is available right after Zozo now >.>
Welp time for super-DPS Edgar/Sabin now. Don't know if I missed it or if it just hadn't been mentioned yet in both the thread and the readme. On that note then, you might want to edit the text of the Sraphim seller after buying from him, as he mentions selling other rocks in Jidoor (Which I'd always assumed were Golem/Zoneseek, hence why I treat them as late-WoB espers; I'm actually not sure how early you are able to get them now, I've always just gone in after the Magitek Factory)

Quote:Bear in mind that both of those characters are totally optional, and so I was a little less concerned about splitting up their stat boosts between the WoB and WoR espers.
I guess that's fair, though I do dislike not having much use for Gau early on if I'm worrying about getting him anything but +Stam (Something I didn't mention is that I love what you've done with the Rages; I tend to sit in the menu for a couple seconds and think "What would work best here", and for the most part the rages all feel useful).

Quote:IAF was actually one of the most notoriously difficult bosses in beta, and Atma Weapon was fairly underwhelming. Before we released it, I nerfed the f**k out of IAF and beefed up Atma Weapon significantly
Atma was pretty much perfect, as far as big imposing bosses go. Like I said before, he hit hard when he needed to, but otherwise was a good balance of being durable without being overbearing (It never felt like I was playing roulette with his spells and hoping he didn't land on something devastating, but every time he made a move I needed to tend to the damage he did, manage MP, and still find time for damage of my own).

IAF... Yeah, I don't know. He went down with so little of a fight that I was surprised when I beat him. Once the missiles were gone I focused on getting buffs up on everyone, but by the time I was done Locke had nearly solo'd the thing on his own. I don't know if I'd recommend a damage increase or a health increase or what, but IAF felt like it was too easy after the fairly-difficult-but-not-overbearing fight that Ultros/Chupon put out.

Quote:...the issue is less his speed and more his survivability, which tends to be lower than that of a stamina-built Sabin.
Yeah, he's not going to tank everything forever like Stamina Sabin looks to be able to do, but a Stamina Cyan has been tanking well for me so far - My 'main' party (Though I've been trying to use everyone) has been Locke/Cyan/Strago/Whoever and Cyan handles both tanking and healing well enough, with powerful Dragons to throw whenever he gets a chance.

Quote:(Though, for the record, Kirin really isn't a buff summon - it's just a Cure 2 spell with no split loss)
I don't know why I keep thinking he is casting a full-party Regen; nothing in the printme or the hack itself says he's doing that, but I keep thinking it's Regen on the whole party.