Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Map can't load...size problem?

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi guys, today I've encountered another problem while trying out some custom maps I made with FF6LE-CE. The game won't load the map, no matter how long I wait, and the current music keeps playing. The exit itself is not the problem, because after changing it to a different target map it worked flawlessly again, so it must have something to do with my custom map.

Strangely, it worked before while my test map was still small in size (256 x 256), but I've enlarged it ever since to the maximum size of 2048 x 2048. After that, the map loading stopped working ingame. I tested multiple custom maps I made, and always saw the same result: maps of a smaller size would load without problem, only the maps that have the max size of 2048 x 2048 won't. The vanilla game doesn't have any maps of that size, but since the editor allows it, I figured it should be ok to use. Or can it be that this size is exceeding the game's RAM? If anyone has ever encountered this, I'd be thankful for advice.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gestahl for this post:
  • madsiur (04-12-2020)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I don't have an answer to this. However you could try ruling out a specific CE build bug by expanding a map to 2048x2048 with the original FF6LE and see if it loads in-game. Maybe just changing a map size won't affect the tilemap and you'll be able to save. Worst case scenario you could trash other maps just for the sake of the test. I don't think that's a specific CE build bug since I have not touched that part of the editor. Maybe the game does not support it, you'd need to look at the game ASM code. Maybe the max supported sizes are 1024x2048 and 2048x1024, I have no idea really..

I could look into it, but first I'll tackle the tilemap bug you reported last week. I haven't had the time yet but I'll do my best to fix it as quickly as possible.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I think the maximum supported size is actually 2048x1024 (128 tiles wide, 64 tiles high). There are no vanilla maps with a height of 2048, and I feel like I remember there a being a few reasons that require the height to be no larger than 1024.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • madsiur (04-12-2020)

Status
None
Thanks for your answers, guys. I feared as much... guess I'll have to reduce my map sizes then or split up 1 huge map into 2 smaller ones, but that will use up the few remaining unused tilemaps even faster now.

Edit: alright, after bit more playtesting I don't think anymore that map size is actually the problem. I've reduced my maps to 2048 x 1024, which is also used with some maps in vanilla, and for L2 tilemaps an even smaller size of 1024 x 1024 is actually sufficient, but the issue of the map not loading and the game either freezing or crashing remains. I've been using the following tilemaps which are unused in vanilla:

2C, A8, A9, F5, 12A, 12D, 12E, 15E, 15F

They are distributed in my maps like this (I'm only using the first two layers, didn't need the third so far):

Map 1: 2C (L1) & A8 (L2)
Map 2: 15F (L1) & 15E (L2)
Map 3: 12A (L1), 12D (L2)
Map 4: A9 (L1), F5 (L2)
12E as reserve

Map 4 with tilemaps A9 and F5 loads without problem, but the other 3 always crash the game. Then I started experimenting a bit and exchanged tilemap A8 (the layer 2 tilemap of map 1) with tilemap 12E, and all of a sudden it worked! The game now loaded the map normally, despite the two tilemaps A8 and 12E being identical. So it almost seems like the game doesn't like certain tilemaps, and perhaps that's why they went unused in vanilla? Either that, or there's definitely something buggy going on here... Can individual tilemaps somehow become corrupted?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-13-2020, 12:53 AM)Gestahl Wrote: Map 4 with tilemaps A9 and F5 loads without problem, but the other 3 always crash the game. Then I started experimenting a bit and exchanged tilemap A8 (the layer 2 tilemap of map 1) with tilemap 12E, and all of a sudden it worked! The game now loaded the map normally, despite the two tilemaps A8 and 12E being identical. So it almost seems like the game doesn't like certain tilemaps, and perhaps that's why they went unused in vanilla? Either that, or there's definitely something buggy going on here... Can individual tilemaps somehow become corrupted?

I don't know what could cause this.. Hopefully when I fix the tilemap saving bug you'll be able to use those above $15F. I hate releasing a buggy editor and I hate even more the fact that people are wasting time with it and lose time because of me.. I'm tempted to just remove it from the wiki but first I'll try to address the tilemap saving bug.. Thanks for reporting those things.
  Find

Status
None
No problem, I'm patient, and thanks for all your help so far. I could also send you my game if you think it might help you clearing things up.
  Find