Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing Umaro's Throw to Another Profile

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I asked this same question about a year ago, and even though I've gotten a LOT better at hacking in the past year, this one just continues to stump me. Here's the situation:

I am trying to move Umaro to profile/actor $0F. My Definitive Edition hack places Leo in profile/actor $0D, mainly for the purposes of shop screens. Now, moving Umaro to $0F is exceedingly easy, as it is just a 2-byte change, plus a single event where you have to edit which profile gets assigned where. Here is the actual battle code that needs to be changed.

Code:
C2/0925 3E C9 0D     ->    3E C9 0F  (Moves Umaro's "Berserker" status to profile $0F)

C2/1617 C9 0D            ->     C9 0F     (Moves Umaro's style attacks to profile $0F)

The problem is that no matter what, when Umaro uses his "Throw Character" attack, whichever character has profile $0D is the one animated as throwing the other character. So if Umaro and Leo are in the battle together, Umaro will pose to show he's about to attack, then Leo will leap over, throw a character, and hop back in line. If Leo's not in the battle, the thrown character will just spontaneously throw themselves. I've spent days pouring over every disassembly listed on this site, and have even tried teaching myself the snes9x debugger. I'm coming up blank though. 

Attached is a zip with 2 files. One is an SRM with 4 characters in your party, ready to battle:
0C - Gogo
0D - Leo
0E - Kappa (new character for my hack. Unfinished)
0F - Umaro

The other is an IPS with my current unfinished WIP file, to be applied to a 1.0 headered rom. It's hacked so that Umaro has the Rage Ring equipped, and will attack with the "throw character" attack 100% of the time. (Note that the spritesheets for Leo and Umaro have also been swapped.)

Can anyone help? It is, at this point, the only thing keeping me from progressing. I would appreciate any help with this.

Attached Files
.zip  testingumaro.zip (644.67 KB, 6 downloads)

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Have you tried changing these two lines?

Code:
C1/BA6D: C9 0D        CMP #$0D

C2/E9E0: C9 0D        CMP #$0D

These both refer to Umaro and are related to his throw command.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • PowerPanda (07-16-2018)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Oh my gosh, Everything. One year. One year is how long I've been stuck on this, and you fixed it in minutes! It was C2/E9E0. However, since I don't know what C1 does, and I'm moving everything of Umaro over to 0F, I'm going to change that too.

You have made this Panda very happy tonight. This allows me to do tons of things, like restricting the equip and skill menus for Umaro (should I choose to) while leaving them open for Leo and Kappa.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
C1 handles a lot of the battle graphics stuff, where C2 is primarily the backend stuff. I was going to suggest looking at C1 before I saw Everything's reply!

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find