Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
completed FF6 Vanilla NPC sprites

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Yeah, was going to mention that but didn't think about it until I was already driving.

Just so you know, there is a button combo that clears that saved palette data in the default patch. Listed in the readme somewhere.

Another suggestion, if your going to test several at a time, use the moogle battlefield at the start of the game. You can make a savestate in about the time Locke ask the moogle if they are going to help, since a full three parts are set up from scratch (all but Locke) during the fade out/in, just moments after that coversation. Minimal hex editing required (once you look at it 10 or 12 times you definatly won't need the event log anymore), but for multiple quick test, its a good route to take.

On another note, while villagers are great (I still like the idea of animated townsfolk running through streets and such, course at that point need some custom poses for the little boy, one similar to Calvin peeing on something, another where he moons the camera... come on you know it'd make a great easter egg for a hack.) Anyway, a sprite I'd like to see a sheet of is Ifrit and Sheeva. Always hated how bad that scene looks when they are getting pushed into the trash. Just a thought for future endevors if you find yourself bored.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Vampire
Tested the updated Rachel (Palette 4), Vargas (Palette 4), and Dressed up Gau (Palette 3)
These all work perfectly in the game and ill submit them soon. at this point im confident that Katarin and Old Woman will work fine as well. i noticed the tents use some of the last 4 colors but i removed them from the sprites to be sure. Do the tent colors affect the battle spites assigned palette? ive been doing all this at work so debug testing time is very limited
  Find

Status
Zombie
Tents should be free of battle limitations. For that matter, if you REALLY wanted to walk a fine line, sprites used only out of battle might be free of those restrictions if you could adjust so that the change wouldn't be noticed when in battle.

I'd have to read the gritty details of the patch again (not the read me but the hardcore explination buried at the bottom) to be sure, but I think the saved palettes are only loaded for battle, outside of that everything is pretty open. But as I said, keeping the transition clean would be a nightmare. Might leave a small window of options for completely non-battle custom poses if you wanted to get crazy.

Still, tents should be 100% free.

Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
I actually had plans to do these, but you finished them all, great stuff!
  Find

Status
Vampire
I really wish I had at least 5 extra full sprite slots, I wanted to turn the unique npcs into mercenary characters and be able to keep the normal story ones optionally.

Anyway I also have my eyes on the Figaro Chancellor, The train Conductor, and the dude from the opera house, perhaps ultros too. Ifrit seems like too much work but I bet I could do Shiva...

From what I understand there are full sprites for: Cid, Arvis, Maria, Draco, Returner although I assume these came before the patch for color swapping
  Find

Status
Zombie
More sprites

All the ones I could find, listed in the first post, worked in and out of battle, with the expanded palettes patch.

I also do plan on finishing this patch eventually. The concept/code worked fine, I justran out of time to work on it (12hour days at work turned into 16-18 hour days for a few months). Somewhere between adding new sprites and when I tried to cut it back to a working patch, I jacked something that broke it all. Didn't have time to check every line either so it got left where it was at that time. The stage it was in was a little to advanced for me to just pick right up where I left off after this long, still getting caught back up.

The point of the patch was first to enable full sheets for all the sprites, and make all of them battle ready by just assigning the graphics via event to an actor, no replacing. The second goal was to combine a few little sprites that don't have a reason to be expanded (starting with the magic totems combined with the diving helmet, the facing north sprite would be the diving helmet, facing south would be totems, freeing up one full sprite slot for a whole new sprite without extra code. Stuff like flowers, Locke's bandana, 5ton weight, etc would be next freeing up more extra slots for new sprites without replacing any. Not to mention more animation on NPCs because they'd have full sheets.

The only down side to it was gonna be, any adjustments had to be done in hex since no available editor can handle such a move (even then, adding via hex is simple to explain, so would have still been useable without reading hex). Even the space for the full sheets (like 5 full banks or so) was going to be outside of normal Expanded rom space, so shouldn't have clashed with any other hacking.

Okay the other downside is I broke it before making a working patch... gimmie time to get back up to speed, it will work.

The point, yeah, the first post has a list of all the usable sprite sheets I had found (some I did have to tweak some colors around but they worked in battle, a few others needed a riding sprite or such.) If that list is lacking, I do have the last list I wrote, think it is also in the download zip file somewhere next to all the sheets in hex form.

Not to mention, personally I'd love to see some custome poses added to sprite sheets, that spot next to the tent can be used as a sprite... I'm fairly certain, but that is another story.

Find

Status
Vampire
Another thing i wondered about was the portraits. That would also be a lot to manage as well right? not to mention at least 3 full original sprites don't have portraits attached to them as is.

Portraits are a pain, but what if you made it so the game simply uses their Menu/save screen sprite as the portraits? Sure people may not like not having a true portrait there but with that many sprites in the game that would be a lot.

In the hack I'm messing with, since most of the mains were replaced with special npcs i plan on using their own standing battle sprite as each of the portraits anyway. Hell, ffv and some others did it that way anyway so not such a big deal.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Mini
Also, Zozma, just throwing it out there:

In my personal projects, I've been replacing the character portraits with custom FFT dialogue mugshots. The limitations on both game's portraits play really well together.

I just mentioned it, because I know you've done a lot of work over at FF Hacktics, (some of the portraits I've assembled use your work as reference.) If you want, I could throw over some of my already completed ones, and with tweeking, we could uniformly re-do ALL the portraits in Tactics style including the new NPC ones. Just a thought.... ^_^

"Find the crystals? Save the world? ...Who even was that guy?!"  Shrug  

http://rjenyawd.deviantart.com/

Find

Status
Vampire
That would be kinda neat too. When I think of how quick i finished these 3 sprites, it makes all the vanilla npc's seem like nothing.

Im also considering doing a cid sprite where he has his hood down. (I think the default looks like hes wearing a banana costume lol)
  Find

Status
Zombie
Yeah, he does look like a banana...

And yeah, portraits are another of those list that has to be added to (well it doesn't break things, just makes the menu horrible without portraits). Personally the last time I did a game for myself with custom sprites I did go tbe route of sprites for portraits (didn't use all facing right/left sprites though, I had used a pose based on the character, laugh/surprised/finger in the air). It didn't look bad by any means. Setting up something for every sprite... yeah getting portraits for every one of them is pretty much a pipe dream. I think my plan once was to get a shadowed out portrait (siloette of sorts) and use that for all those that didn't have portraits.

Had never though about FFT portraits, that could work.

Find