Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
completed FF6 Vanilla NPC sprites

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Put some of these in battle (will post screen shot later when able) with a side-by-side on the original Rachel and new Rachel, as well as Vargas and dressed Gau to fill out the team.

For a quick review, kinda hard without the visual aid of the screenshot though.

Rachel: Personally I'm more fond of the old one, that being said, your new version does match the original sprite better, on yet another hand, I'm not overly fond of changing from the default palette (this point less aimed at the sprite itself, and more just a comment on using it myself, trying to hold close to vanilla). Yes, I'm torn on this one. As for the sprite itself, the only thing that really stands out as needing possible adjustment is the shaded spot under her "ear" on the facing left stances looks a little to dark for skin. Just mention it because it stands out to me (again, the screenshot would help, and yet again my monitor settings could be making it stand out more than it should so take that suggestion as you will).

Vargas - looks good far as I can tell.

Suited Gau - Looks good except for his back leg while facing left looks kinda odd. I can't see it in the sprite sheet, but its highly noticable in combat (again screen shot would really help but no way to post it atm).

That's all I've got for now. Thanks for putting the work in on these.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Vampire
hm Rachel, spot under her ear? I think i used the only available blue shade for that as there are no extra shades of dark brown available on her palette... I always considered that spot part of a set of big earrings...

The reason I used palette 4 instead of her default palette 0 tho is because it was a LOT of extra work to get the color count down to 12 on palette 0 without sacrificing more the original look of the sprite. Honestly I don't know why they didn't use palette 4 for her to begin with.

I have taken consideration to what you said tho about it being a little bit ok to stray from default vanilla. Vargas for example, i think he looks way better than the color arrangement they gave him by default even tho he is still using the same palette

[Image: ff6-chancellor16colors.png]

The Chancellor
  Find

Status
Vampire
Lol after... how long has it been? I finally fixed that "critically injured" frame on my complete Katarin that I bugged the hell outta me
I found a few other bugs and fine tuned the sprite more. Although i exchanged her default palette for for the one Locke uses I feel like
the palette is better suited for her as it gives better shades of brown for the hair. Only huge difference is her ribbon is pink instead of green.
still its all vanilla palettes.

With a lot of the unique npc sprites I feel like if they hadnt rushed them they probably wouldve made better color palette choices. 
Same thing goes for my versions of Rachel and Vargas. It's like they were utilizing the same colors (slight variation) of edgar/sabin/celes palette
when they couldve just used setzer/shadow etc's palette that not only has the blue and green, but also has shades of black for the hair.

anyway its not a huge fix but ill put it up somewhere later

Has anyone made any big use of the expanded sprite patch? It would be great if you could simply utilize the last 2 slots for mercenaries from
all over the world but then the problem is that I would want them to have their own magic menu not only for the magic but for the esper bonus.
I saw that theres a magic patch of some sort I wonder if you could assign multiple actors the same magic menu
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-05-2018, 03:49 AM)Zozma Wrote: I finally fixed that "critically injured" frame on my complete Katarin that I bugged the hell outta me

I see you have not updated your original post.. If possible, I'd like spriters to notice of a image link change either in the thread or by pm so I can keep the sprite database up-to-date and upload the new file on our server.

(01-05-2018, 03:49 AM)Zozma Wrote: Has anyone made any big use of the expanded sprite patch?

I don't think a single "complete" hack has made use of it. Gi Nattak tried to use it for RotDS but he had problems with it unless I'm mistaken..
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
My issue was with the expanded palette patch by Eggers, it simply refuses to work with RotDS and never will. And therefor wouldn't work with this expanded sprite patch that utilizes that patch for those extra palette colors I believe. It's an awesome patch, the expanded sprite patch, but even if I could get Eggers' code to work it would be unusable for RotDS now anyway due to the majority of NPCs being custom and expanded in all crazy sorts of ways. But again, great for other projects!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Vampire
It's unfortunate that egger's patch is not compatible with that. 
I utilize that patch whenever I make a little personal project and the extra 4 colors being available really makes a huge difference.
Knowing that any 12 of the colors of your choosing in the palette are available really makes life easier. If I had that years
ago I would've made more sprites back then. I remember making an entire Aeris sprite because locke had the perfect palette only
to test it and find out about the last 4 colors. 

Anyway, since they are still set up to use only 12 colors each, Im sure they could individually be conformed back into specifically
using the first 12 colors instead.
  Find