Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
I FINALLY was able to experience the terrible bug that is the Mog sprite glitch... It was on the Floating Continent when the party splits when the Kefka/Gestahl event goes down. I had Mog in my party, and he became glitched upon the party split.

[Image: 6TVso4V.png]

and you can see his bottom half was replaced with a part of the Doom Statues' sprite, which becomes evident once they flash white:

[Image: HNEZA7p.png]

Sure enough restarting the game/loading a previous save cleared it up back to working, as others have noted.
From a new game (played today), I didn't experience it in any of the normally reported spots, such as the scenario split, or the banquet, but then it finally did rear it's ugly head for this scene. Very strange indeed. Using Snes9x.

I know this doesn't help any, I've just been obsessed about seeing/replicating this bug to see it firsthand. I still hope to find a way to ensure its happening, in order to make testing easier or what have you. But I've about exhausted my efforts.

The Full Roster patch modifications does sound highly suspect indeed. Confused

The 3-party select menus appeared fine for me, though I don't doubt it as possibly happening.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
I'd like to take a deep dive into the full roster to look for problems, but I'm curious if perhaps it is an event problem... possibly even a subroutine that was changed for full roster and is referencing the wrong event bits? The fan out subroutine could be problematic, especially if it's calling something that hasn't been changed or repointed to handle the two guest characters. Event bit $0FF isn't problematic on its own because I too have used it (and never encountered the Mog graphic bug in my hack), but... I wonder if taking $2FE and $2FF from the game intro and using them for recruiting might work better... perhaps there's code in a bank that was checking event bits up to 14 and is now looking at the wrong value for OAM stuff.

I'd very much like an event dump of Divergent Paths to explore in Notepad++, but because of the custom event commands I can't get a clean document out of Zone Doctor. I imagine you were keeping notes on the event script changes, PowerPanda; if you have an event script disassembly would you be willing to share it? Even if it's just addresses where custom commands were used, I can replace 'em with FD to get Zone Doctor to give me a coherent readout.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Some FF6 lore and "neat facts" y'all might enjoy for backstory purposes.
http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/...Thread-2-0
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(07-22-2021, 02:00 AM)Sarah-ga Wrote: Some FF6 lore and "neat facts" y'all might enjoy for backstory purposes.
http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/...Thread-2-0

Thanks for sharing. I used a lot of this stuff when crafting Divergent Paths. But let's address a few of the list items:

36. While most of the playable cast have their main themes playing while they are introduced in the story, Terra, Celes, and Sabin do not. Terra has the them Awakening playing during her formal introduction, Celes has Under Martial Law, and Sabin has Coin Song playing instead of their actual themes.
>> Debatable. Awakening and Coin Song are the same melodies as the character themes. Celes doesn't get her character theme until AFTER the Opera, as it is the same melody as the Opera. in Divergent Paths, Leo is also introduced without his theme. He doesn't gain it until he joins the party, much later in the game. Kappa's theme, by the way, is Spinach Rag.

37. Speaking of which, VI is the only game in the series that introduces the cast through a narration.
Not true. Final Fantasy Dimensions also uses narration.

44. When asked about the fates of Banon, Arvis, and the Narshe Elder in the WoR, Sakaguchi has stated the player should use their own imagination.
>> Aaaaannnd.... done.

51. Though Tonberries debuted in FFV, VI debuted the stronger and meaner Master Tonberry, though it wouldn't be til VII that they acquired their two signature abilities: Knife and Everyone's Grudge.
>> They use Knife in FFVI.

179. There use to be a summon skill in VI but it was dummied out of the game.
>> This is often cited, but it is not true. When you summon an Esper through the magic menu, the game switches you to the Summon command. It IS used; it's just never used in the menu.

186. VI is the only game in the series that has a minor special scene for using tents. The tents being a different color depending on who is using it.
>> Also not true, as FF Dimensions does this.

190. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status, as well as Instant death elements.
>> AND the Tintinabar, though you could argue this is just the regen status on the world map.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
Yeah, there's a lot I have issue with but it was still fun to read.
"First FF with a parent/child relationship" yeah right, Galuf was more of a parent to Krile than Shadow was to Relm. Strago's her "parent" anyway.

"73. The first game in the series to deal with suicide."
Like half the cast in FF2 sacrificed themselves.

"80. VI is the first game that allows you to split up your party and still hav them all participate in dungeons and battles. "
Fork Tower in 5...
  Find

Status
None
Hey PowerPanda,

Just wanted to note I created an account on this forum strictly to tell you

a) how enjoyable a hack this was
b) how brilliant a writer you are

I *adored* the "did I forget...?" scene and adored it even more once I played through the remainder of the game.  Every character journey is monumentally improved by this patch; you've tied so much together *and* with much better narratives than the original.  I was saying to some friends of mine I almost wish you would have re-written the entire game.   

Anyway: excellent, *excellent* job and I wanted you to know how much I appreciated the stellar work you did on this hack!  Amazing.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to scarlet for this post:
  • PowerPanda (08-05-2021)

Threads: 11
Status
None
(08-01-2021, 03:18 PM)scarlet Wrote: Hey PowerPanda,

Just wanted to note I created an account on this forum strictly to tell you

a) how enjoyable a hack this was
b) how brilliant a writer you are

I *adored* the "did I forget...?" scene and adored it even more once I played through the remainder of the game.  Every character journey is monumentally improved by this patch; you've tied so much together *and* with much better narratives than the original.  I was saying to some friends of mine I almost wish you would have re-written the entire game.   

Anyway: excellent, *excellent* job and I wanted you to know how much I appreciated the stellar work you did on this hack!  Amazing.

You shouldn’t have to wait to long for an entire rewrite of FF6...if I can’t finish my rewrite by the end of this year, then it should arrive sometime before spring of next year.  I’ll start working on my second/master draft of it in earnest this September.
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
None
Quote:Kappa's theme, by the way, is Spinach Rag.

OH NO...
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
None
I recall posting earlier in this thread, but thankee for releasing this 1.1 version! Alleluia! <standing ovation>
  Find

Status
None
Finally have some time to play this, and I’ve run into 1 minor problem and 1 major problem (both on a SNES using an X6 Everdrive):

Minor: the imperial camp in Sabin’s scenario had a lot of graphical corruption. Nothing that stopped me from progressing, but was obviously not correct.

Major: after the recovery spring in the phantom forest, walking to the tile to go the next screen gets you stuck. I cannot move in any direction, can’t exit the screen, nothing. Have to reset to fix it.

I’ll try repatching the game shortly. Maybe it just didn’t take correctly.

EDIT: yup, reapplying the patch worked. False alarm!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ranatalus for this post:
  • PowerPanda (09-07-2021)