Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Iris Event Idea Submissions/Discussion

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
It seems the place it would make the most sense to insert her (as a PC) would be after the Esper attack on Vector...

Just spitballing here... maybe we could insert some additional content between the attack and the trip to Thamasa? It would allow us a little time to work with her character, have her interact with the people in Vector maybe... and/or work her into the trip to Thamasa (maybe as a stowaway?) It'll be a little cramped, we just need someone that can write it well.

Any takers?

...ooooooor, we add some mandatory content after Terra awakes but before the Sealed Gate to do a short storyline with Iris... but I'm not sure how to work that in without breaking up the flow of the WoB... it would have to tie in. But as our last freedom point until the FC, it's the only place we could feasibly deviate without a major rewrite.
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Actually, that would be quite easy to do from a writing standpoint, adding in content between the attack in Vector and the journey to Thamasa. We would also want additional content between her and the Espers with the party there, and instead of Shadow being forced into the party, he could be with Celes and Leo, and Iris is the third person on your team instead.

If all else, I could help with the writing and such, whatever we decide.
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
You know what might be cool? Some content with Iris/Shadow/Leo... as kind of an outsiders group. Of course, It would actually be really interesting to see an interaction between Iris and Leo. Iris could be a very specific catalyst for Leo's doubt, as I'm sure she wouldn't treat Leo with the same kind of respect the rest of the PC cast does. In her mind, turning a blind eye to the empire's seedier activities is just as bad as outright condoning it. We really wouldn't even need Shadow... but he could be written in.

I'm leaning toward the idea of bringing Iris (either intentionally, or unintentionally) to Thamasa and adding a little content to that portion of the game... heck, if we're using my MMMMMagic update, we can even equip Leo with Espers while we use him and Iris together.

Any other objections/suggestions before we start allowing people to start writing/rewriting scenes?

Edit: And for those who are on board, how about a suggestion or two for a scenario with Iris/Leo (plus maybe Shadow) and maybe a mini-dungeon idea that might make sense in the context of what's going on.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Yeah, I think that an extra dungeon around there would be great, although I'd prefer to leave Shadow where he is and give that team Celes instead.

I don't have any ideas for that dungeon right now.

Confused Moogles FTW

Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
Uninformed Suggestion Alert: If Iris is going to be introduced in the Magitek Research Facility, even as an NPC who doesn't necessarily interact with the part, I'd hope her actions in the background would have minor story-only effects...and perhaps shore up a weaker point in the story.

One pet peeve of that section is Celes' exit. Basically Kefka claims Celes is a spy, Locke gets a case of "the doubts" and Celes warps all the enemies and herself away.

It bothers me because here is absolutely 0 reason for Locke to suddenly doubt Celes. There's no buildup, just Kefka, a known scoundrel, telling an obvious lie and Locke falling for it.

Now maybe if there were some mysterious coincidences cause indirectly and inadvertently by Iris, then it would make Locke's sudden doubt a little more founded, at least. However, I am aware that this may be too much of re-writing the game.

(I'm also in favor of ditching the hilarious scene of the old man feigning illness to having the guards blocking the entrance to the facility move because of Iris-related problems.)

Other than that, I've got nothing, and since I can't do any of the heavy (or light) lifting, I'll go back to lurking and criticizing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-15-2016, 08:42 AM)B-Run Wrote: Any other objections/suggestions before we start allowing people to start writing/rewriting scenes?

Well a question: Are we doing the two characters implementation totally separately? If not shouldn't we wait on the concept of the 16th character and more details on him, given there could be at least one scene involving him and Iris?

(11-15-2016, 08:42 AM)B-Run Wrote: And for those who are on board, how about a suggestion or two for a scenario with Iris/Leo (plus maybe Shadow) and maybe a mini-dungeon idea that might make sense in the context of what's going on.

I'm very bad a story writing and scenario planning. The only thing I can think of is an mandatory cave where we could move an Esper obtainment and at the same time the Esper would somehow interact with Iris or reveal something about herself. We could have there a boss fight with a random monster.
  Find

Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Or we could make the boss fight with the Esper itself if appropriate. I want to spend some time thinking about this more at some point, but I'm slogging through schoolwork right now.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Obliviscence
So given how hard it is to coordinate all of this AND get people to make events that may or may not make it in... how about we commission someone to script out the changes with everything here in mind, then we can assign individual events to people once we've got a script.

Thoughts?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-21-2016, 08:32 AM)B-Run Wrote: how about we commission someone to script out the changes with everything here in mind, then we can assign individual events to people once we've got a script.

I like the idea but this person is not me. I think the person should be a decent writer and the script changes would be submitted to the group after, just for the sake of pointing out obvious mistakes or give relevant inputs if needed.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hi. Resurrecting an ancient thread here. If this project ever gets going again, I can help with this. I'm horrible at ASM, but scenario writing and event editing are kind of my specialty.

I think that Iris could show up in the Magitek Factory, but I wouldn't add her as a character until you're preparing to go to Crescent Island. As you are leaving the Imperial Castle, she could stop you, say she overheard what was going on, and ask to join you. In my hack, I added Banon back into the party at that point, so I've already done all of the work to have a 3rd character in your party in Albrook and on the boat with Leo. For the events of Crescent Island, you just have to have Locke go with Celes to search for the Espers, and have Iris, Shadow, and Terra form the second party. Then, when Shadow leaves, you have Iris, Terra, and Strago head to the Esper's Cave, where Relm joins up.

The strengths of this are:
1. During the Burning House Sequence, you can have a short event that introduces her Fuse powers, saying that she can fuse with Ifrit to absorb the flames, or fuse with Shiva to put them out.
2. A natural place for her to have a flashback explaining WHY she is so attuned to Espers is when Strago finds the 3 statues in the Esper Cave.
3. In the Esper Cave, Locke is the one to talk Terra into not going berserk when she meets the other espers. Having Iris sense what is going on fills the double duty of increasing her bond with Terra and showing that she really is in tune with the Espers.

I've already accounted for having an extra team member join up permanently after Kefka's attack, and I've already done the work of switching Cyan's recruitment scenario to the nightmare in Doma Castle, freeing up the Mt. Zozo sidequest for another character. Let me know if you want to re-use any of that work.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find