Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Iris Havengard Personality discussion

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
This thread will be for helping figure out exactly who this character is going to be. This will be a reference point for the rest of the project as to what the designers of each phase were thinking and how these pieces fit together. This will help us build a cohesive, believable 15th Man.

Here are my current interpretations of the project so far, these are by no means law, and I would love for submission winners to chime in with their personal commentary on their submissions as well as interact with other members to help work out who we, as a community, are designing.

Code:
The Implacable Experiment

This character is an individual who has had close contact with the Empire after being used for human (or esper) experimentation in the Magitek Facility and has taken on a grotesque appearance. This character is aware of their disturbing appearance and their primary drive is to seek vengeance against those who have wronged him/her and to see that they are brought to justice.

This character would work well in FF6 as they would serve to show the more cruel and inhumane side of the Gestahlian Empire, especially when you consider how much Terra's past is lacking in filling in the darker parts of the Empire's history. This character would also ideally have a somewhat strange fighting style which would vary from the other characters, they also by merit of being a Magitek experiment could have a natural magic learning list.

So as an implacable experiment, we already have a sense of something other than human, so moving forward we should make sure as many aspects of who she is are easily differentiable from the existing cast. Things like language (Mr. Thou anyone?), battle stances, reactions to events, all these things can be built to appear strange not only to the in-game cast, but also the player.

Also, this being someone that's had something done to them, I would imagine a large amount of resentment as well as regret and self-loathing (especially so being a woman). This, I think, would create someone with a very critical attitude. Devoid of hope but fighting for it all-the-same.

Code:
The Betrayed Young Citizen

Back history: This daughter of a South Figaro sailor was raised by a lonely old woman from Vector after the boat transporting her and her father sunk near the Southern Continent. She was then taken prisoner by the Empire in her teenage years after the old woman died an that Emperor Gestahl adopted a secret law to capture homeless [and unwanted] citizens for Magitek experimentations. During her captivity, she developed her hate towards the Empire that she was considering once her second home.

Possible encounters: She might have been in contact with Cid and/or Kefka and/or Celes during her captivity. She might also have been in contact with some Espers and talked with them. This all depends on how we want to develop her back story and the game events.

Pros:
- Rich backstory and relations with the actual characters of the game if we want any.
- Explain well why the character feels doubly betrayed by the Empire and explain her hatred.

Cons:
- Might require a lot of event creation, but isn't this the goal of this hack? ;)

A character that has moved around as much as THIS is someone who is unsettled and would likely be prepared to move again at a moments notice. The idea of not being prepared to pack up and leave would be uncomfortable to someone who has no stability. Also, I think the fact that she has lost so much would cause her to create walls to keep other people from truly knowing and understanding her for fear of losing them, while at the same time longing for real connections with people.

Since she was essentially abducted by the empire, there is also a sense of violation, another thing that often causes people to create walls and be generally mistrusting of the intentions of others, meaning the cast will have to work VERY hard to get her to join permanently(maybe make her missable?).

Being an abducted orphan, we can assume she has no real martial training to speak of, which will come out in her fighting style, it should be uncontrolled/untempered which goes hand-in-hand with the half-beast archtype.

[Image: imgshk.png]
[Image: imgshk.png]

Maybe its just me, but I see someone real and soft beneath the harsh reality of her circumstances. There will definitely be a duality to this character. Hoping to see more soon!

All of this stuff is open for interpretation/extrapolation. As we continue to discuss and evolve the character, I will update this thread so that everyone has as complete an idea as possible as to what we are working toward.

Let's hear it, how do you see our 15th Man? I especially want to hear from those who have had their contributions officially become a part of the project, but I want to hear from other submitters too! There is an essence to this character that everyone has a unique perspective on, and we can't have a complete picture without everyone's input.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
This all sounds really good, although I don't see why she would have language issues. I'm assuming that since she had a decent upbringing before the experiments, she would have a normal grasp of the language. But I definitely like the idea of her being more mistrustful of the other characters. Maybe she could have some interactions with Gau at some point, who is somewhat feral like she is, so he can relate, but also extremely trusting as well, so they could grow from each other. Gau would also get fleshed out, which is good because he didn't get much "screen time" to begin with.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Status
None
I would go even farther with a split mind or schizophrenia.As it is understood to modern psychology, the condition is thought to sometimes result when a child copes with abuse by convincing themselves that it's happening to someone else. I love the idea of the archbeast-type but it would be nice too to have another personality. She would try to dissociate herself trying to create an alter. Maybe a flirtous one ( it would be funny to see cyan reaction to her advances) or something else.
What is interesting is that the way she is disfigure, she have 2 differents eyes and her face is asymmetrique... like two-faces.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-02-2013, 09:07 AM)Edrin Wrote: Since she was essentially abducted by the empire, there is also a sense of violation, another thing that often causes people to create walls and be generally mistrusting of the intentions of others, meaning the cast will have to work VERY hard to get her to join permanently(maybe make her missable?).

I totally want to see this aspect in the hack. Also, I would like to see her having a wild and/or violent attitude/temper sometimes, as a result of what she have been through. I also like the duality in her attitude (devoid of hope but fighting for it) Edrin talked about.

Those aspects could make her personnality a bit like a bomb, which you never know when it's going to explode. It could also reflect some sort of mental instability like Astaroth wants, without going as far as a split personality or a mental ilness, two things that in my opinion would make her a too much chaotic character.

Edit: Interaction with Gau would be fun, we could have an event where Gau dress clean and then he would ask her out or something lol. Well that's just a crazy idea I just had.
  Find

Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
(09-02-2013, 07:14 PM)Astaroth_ Wrote: I would go even farther with a split mind or schizophrenia. As it is understood to modern psychology, the condition is thought to sometimes result when a child copes with abuse by convincing themselves that it's happening to someone else.

Sorry, are you talking about schizophrenia here, or about being a multiple system (with or without dissociative identity disorder*)? Schizophrenia is etymologically linked to 'split mind' (from Greek, IIRC), but it actually refers to a different set of symptoms and impairments (hallucinations, delusions, disorganized speech and thinking); disordered multiple systems are referred to having dissociative identity disorder, which was formerly multiple personality disorder. The 'split' in 'split mind' refers to the fractured mental processes, not a division of personalities.

Either one could be interesting, but schizophrenia would make it difficult to incorporate her into the team since she... wouldn't be terribly functional, and developing her into a multiple system would mean creating /two/ (or more) fully-fledged personalities for her when we already have to agree on one. Wink This is a pretty good discussion of DID, although it is quite long, almost an hour and a half; it's essentially a university guest lecture. It's not a perfect description of every multiple system's experiences, but then no one person's experiences will map exactly onto another's.

*The clinical definition for 'disorder' includes as a requirement being impaired in daily life; if a multiple system (someone with multiple personalities/alters) is perfectly functional, then they wouldn't be considered disordered and a DID diagnosis would be inaccurate. I have a friend who's a cooperative multiple system and even his doctor agrees that he's not disordered.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Threads: 76
Thanks Received: 9
Status
None
Madsiur: Nice idea about Gau lollllll
Grayshadow: I was talking about multiple systeme! thanks for your clarification, its very interesting. I agree that she should be perfectly functional, but at some point, she could show a 2nd personality.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-02-2013, 09:22 PM)GrayShadows Wrote: Either one could be interesting, but schizophrenia would make it difficult to incorporate her into the team since she... wouldn't be terribly functional, and developing her into a multiple system would mean creating /two/ (or more) fully-fledged personalities for her when we already have to agree on one. Wink

Schizophrenics can be fully functionals if they are treated with medication and having a non-stressfull environment can really help too. Multiples personalities resulting of childhood abduction however requires a therapy can can be multiples years longs.

Regardless of that, if our character has some sort of mental instability or a problematic temper, we could have it cured or greatly reduced in a fictional way with an event (sidequest) such as something like finding a NPC that reveals part of her story she didn't knew or finding a key item that means something important for her. I'm only throwing ideas here.
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(09-02-2013, 10:48 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Schizophrenics can be fully functionals if they are treated with medication and having a non-stressfull environment can really help too.

Which are, of course, things that will be readily available in Kefka's post-apocalyptic world of ruin.
  Find

Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
(09-02-2013, 10:48 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Schizophrenics can be fully functionals if they are treated with medication and having a non-stressfull environment can really help too. Multiples personalities resulting of childhood abduction however requires a therapy can can be multiples years longs.

Sorry, yeah -- I did mean dysfunctional while untreated, but I definitely could have been clearer about that.

One thing to consider, if we're looking at trauma-related instability (and given the experimentation, there's a lot of trauma to work with!), is the way that PTSD can create phobias, triggers, etc. Having her essentially shut down because the party encounters something that would otherwise be innocuous could be interesting -- maybe there's a boss battle where, if she's in the party, she's unusable/catatonic, berserk, muddled...? (There should be a way to code an unbreakable Muddle by setting it through an event and then toggling Muddle immunity, assuming I understand the code properly.) This could even work into the side-quest idea that Madsiur proposed, re: learning more about her past.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-02-2013, 11:07 PM)Edrin Wrote: Which are, of course, things that will be readily available in Kefka's post-apocalyptic world of ruin.

Well I wasn't specifically talking about the game here, but yeah in the possibility of having a schizophrenic character, we could have a key item or item that reduce her symptoms, but anyway I already stated in another post that such a character would be too chaotic in my opinion.

I lean toward a character that have an unusual temper caused by a trauma that could be reduced by an event.

Edit: She could also have phobias created by the experimentation like GrayShadows suggested, and those phobias would be like her demons to overpass.
  Find