Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6LE Rogue CE / Zone Doctor CE

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Really enjoying this one, nice work!

How does the Event Script Editor determine how much space it has left for a single script? Is there a way to tell it to "just do what I say" upon saving?
Asking because I'm making a small hack for a friend's birthday and significantly expanded the first "guard" interaction in Narshe (at X/Y 38/38). Since the only other script I care about (the "we can't go back" thing) is before that and the other ones are unused, I removed them from the map and wanted to use the space that's now dead code. But the script editor doesn't like it, because it says it's running out of space.
After overwriting a few bytes of the next event with 0xFD NOPs (with a 0xFE RET at the end to play nice) in the hex editor and restarting the script editor, it correctly showed the NOP-padded script, but did not want to allow me to use all of its space - I had to remove a few NOPs to be able to save it (though it did allow me to use more space than before).

It's not really a problem, in the worst case I can always edit it in hex, just a bit confusing.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-24-2018, 10:25 PM)omgwtfbbq Wrote: How does the Event Script Editor determine how much space it has left for a single script? Is there a way to tell it to "just do what I say" upon saving?

I never used the event editor. I think it's time to put the wiki warning in this thread:

Zone Doctor does all what FF6LE does plus it has other modules for hex editing, event editing, graphics, projects, data import, etc. However, Zone Doctor can easily corrupt your ROM. This is the reason why few people use it. The level editor (FF6LE module) can easily corrupt the exit data. The event editor also has some bugs. This is why it is suggested to stick to hex editing for events. Zone Doctor never reached a final version, it is considered by many something to avoid for some tasks.

Madsiur made a version similar to FF6LE Rogue CE. It has the same expansion features. However since no original Zone Doctor bug were fixed, it is recommended to use FF6LE Rogue CE instead if you want to have the expansion features.

Sorry about this :/
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Ah, no worries, I'm mostly coding it up in the hex editor now (since I'm only using the first two maps anyway, there's a LOT of event code that I can just noop out and overwrite).
I'm pretty sure I've encountered one of the "other" bugs now anyway, because Zone Editor does not show an event even though it is triggered. Managed to find it by searching for a message box, though.

On a different note (and somewhat offtopic, but I just couldn't find any info on it), how does the "Show if memory set" value for NPCs work? Specifically, how can I set/clear these bits in a event script?
They seem to take values from 1E20.0 to 1E7F.7 for treasures and 1EE0.0 to 1F5F.7 for NPCs.
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
-1EE0.0 to 1F5F.7 are event bits set in event code. These do things like make the Figaro Guard disappear after the scene where the party enters Figaro cave for the first time.
-1E20.0 to 1E7F.7 are automatically set or cleared (i forget which) when a chest is opened. Its basically telling the game if its been opened yet by the player. If its been opened, display the empty chest, if it hasn't display the closed chest and allow opening.
  Find