Good job Everything!

C'mon join discord, things will start roll much faster  Shine
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I've been working on adding support for FF5 Advance. The data formats are not as similar to the SFC/SNES version as they are for FF6 Advance, so it's been quite a bit more difficult. The map layouts use an absurdly complicated compression algorithm that took me a while to figure out. I haven't written a recompression algorithm yet, so there's no way to save map changes yet. The event script format is a bit different too, and I still need to fix quite a few of the event commands. I haven't set up the battle editor either.

I also fixed a few things that also affect the SFC/SNES versions of FF5. Map animation graphics and layer 3 graphics now get loaded properly, and treasure chest data is now handled a little differently.

[Image: NXKKEM2l.png]
[Image: HbaIid9l.png]
[Image: c58wYnjl.png]
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • madsiur (04-28-2019)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Just curious if someday an option could be to load ff5 maps into ff6 and visa versa, and have it use the correct tile sets and properties and all that to have it nice and seamless.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
It seems like FF6tools will modify checksum data and was wondering if changing these are critical or not because I have another patch called Mini-Maps Upgrade that modify the same data but with different results.

Original data for FF3us v1.0 (at the end of C0):
C0/FFDC: CDA0 (Inverse Checksum)
C0/FFDE: 325F (Checksum)

Original data for FF3us v1.1:
C0/FFDC: 9575 (Inverse Checksum)
C0/FFDE: 608A (Checksum)

Data changed by FF6Tools:
C0/FFDC: 04A6 (Inverse Checksum)
C0/FFDE: FB59 (Checksum)

Data changed by Mini-Maps Upgrade:
C0/FFDC: 359D (Inverse Checksum)
C0/FFDE: CA62 (Checksum)

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Checksum can be changed, I think what counts is that the checksum has a corresponding inverted one, meaning you can use whatever set of the four. You'll likely never have the good checksum with a patch that change it or after a manual edit (in this case it remains the same but becomes no good), but some utilities like FF6Tools likely recalculate the good one and it will be different each time you change a single byte in the ROM.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Warrax (05-09-2019)

Status
None
(04-29-2019, 10:46 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Just curious if someday an option could be to load ff5 maps into ff6 and visa versa, and have it use the correct tile sets and properties and all that to have it nice and seamless.

In theory, that wouldn't be too difficult. The map layouts, graphics, and tilesets all have basically the same format. There are some details like transparency and tile properties that would probably need some tweaking. On the other hand, FF6 maps are designed for 16x24 character sprites while FF4 and FF5 maps are designed for 16x16 character sprites. If you simply copied a map from one game to the other, the sprites probably wouldn't line up properly with some of the map tiles.

With FF6Tools, I plan to eventually add import/export for raw binary data. This would allow you to copy a map from one game to another, although it would still probably take some trial and error to get it looking nice.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • Gi Nattak (05-12-2019)

Status
None
I started adding support to edit battles in FF5 Advance. It still needs a bit of work but here are some screenshots.

[Image: hly5cN9l.png]

[Image: Tqip6ZOl.png]
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • madsiur (07-15-2019), Robo Jesus (03-07-2020), Warrax (07-15-2019)

Status
Tissue-aware
Awesome work as usual!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Someone on Discord reported that he was able to change monster XP and gold on the FF6 US GBA version but not the japanese GBA version because changes will not save with this particular version. I did not tested if it was the case or not.
  Find