Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Issue with names displayed on the menu

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
I changed "Blitz" to "Swdplay" and "Swdtech" to "Phase". I'm trying to have the menu screen (on the skills submenu) display the names correctly, but I can't do this, since Swdplay is longer than Blitz. And I can't seem to use the space left from Swdtech to Phase, because it makes the command directly blank:

[Image: crossover_crisis_v2_00000_by_kugawattan-d9x35ce.jpg]
Original Code vs. The code I used that gave me the above screenshot.
[Image: clean_rom_erro_by_kugawattan-d9x35c1.png] [Image: edited_rom_by_kugawattan-d9x35bv.png]
Any ideas for a fix?

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I think you need to adjust the pointers to the text. Try changing the value at C3/5E40 from $63 to $61.

You're also going to need to adjust the pointer for the "Phase" text at C3/5EBA. This one isn't in a pointer table, it's referenced directly in the code. Try changing the value at C3/54E9 from $B8 to $BA.

Code:
C3/52E8: A0 B8 5C     LDY #$5CB8 <- change to #$5CBA

BTW, these are all addresses for a headered ROM. Have you tried removing the header? It's a lot easier to find references in an asm dump when you don't have to convert back and forth all the time.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Everything for this post:
  • Kugawattan (03-29-2016)

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Zombie
You probably also need to change the thing that points to the old name.

Change:
C3/4D00:    A0 63 5C
to
C3/4D00:    A0 61 5C

because the new name Swdplay appears two bytes earlier than before.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to funkydiscogod for this post:
  • Kugawattan (03-29-2016)

Status
Charmed
[Image: crossover_crisis_v2_00002_by_kugawattan-d9x3x0y.bmp]
Well, damn guys, you're my own personal heroes!! 

Also, I'm SO sorry I somehow forgot to add the actual adress!! Maybe because I went to change the actual text instead of looking for an adress. Thanks for your help again guys!

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Status
Charmed
double post of evil
Okay, I now have another issue related to this, and it would be the "shop quotes". The line "Too many!" at C3/C3E1, I've moved it one space to the right (so I could make space for the previous line, which is one letter longer), and I guess I gotta relocate the pointer for that too. If it's possible, I'd like a brief explanation on how can I find the code so I can change it myself, but if not possible I can just ask you guys again :P

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Edit the LDY here. Usually making a search for the offset (in this case "C3E2") will get you the instance(s) to change.

Code:
C3/B847:    A0E2C3      LDY #$C3E2
C3/B84A:    20F902      JSR $02F9      (display "Too many!")
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Kugawattan (04-23-2016)

Status
Charmed
Thanks Mad! Worked just fine! Now, unless you added (display "Too many!") yourself, I guess my Bank C3 txt is a little outdated. Where's the newest one at?

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm pretty sure you have Izmogelmo's outdated disassembly. Lenophis is the one who commented in a lot of places after him. It's available here, but hasn't been updated since 2010: http://slickproductions.org/docs.php?id=FF6
  Find