Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
GrayShadow's 'Giving Gogo Magic' code

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
You gotta understand something: You're making SRAM changes, so any observation from a downloaded save file is irrelevant.

Second, you have to debug the code when sabin joined, from a game when you started from beginning. Set a breakpoint at offset specified with the hex string mentioned in previous posts and "step into" until you reach a RTS. While doing this, you should monitor the value of 7E/1E3C in RAM viewer. I'm not offering you the solution because I don't know it but instead how to debug your code. At this point it's more about understanding the code and debug it than waiting for instructions.
  Find

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Okay then, I'll start a new game and see what happens when Sabin joins. Thanks.

Before recruiting Sabin, 7E/1E3C is 10. The RTS line was as follows, and when I reached it, 7E/1E3C changed from 10 to 13:

Quote:$C0/D75B 60 RTS A:0013 X:0002 Y:00B9 P:envMxdizC
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
The good news: The blitz code seems to work (03 = bit 0 and 1, so first two blitzes are learned)

The bad news: $1E3C should be 00 before Sabin is recruited. Try to see the value of $1E3C at game start (after intro). If it's 00 it'S a good thing. Maybe you have put new treasure chest(s) with opening bit in the $1E3A-$1E3F range?

Edit: Treasure chest starts at $1E40 so it can't be that. I also saw in your screenshot in previous post you had 88 as value on the morph byte $1E3A. Not sure if this one should be 00 before morph is available, but there's definitely something going on. You'll maybe have to monitor $1E3C from beginnign and see when exactly in game does it become 10. I have no other solution for now. I looked back at the ASM file but can't pinpoint what would be wrong, it this is the problem.
  Find

Status
None
Nope, no new chests. I changed the contents of some pre-existing ones, but only the ones with items, the ones that were empty or had gil, didn't touch.

On start-up, 1E3C is 00; when I select a saved game to load, it turns to 10.

I pre-preemptively speed ran through the first part of the game, keeping the RAM Hex open to watch for the 10; it never came up, right up to the Vargas fight. 00 all the way. Is there anything in particular I should try to see if it triggers it?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-21-2016, 11:36 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: I pre-preemptively speed ran through the first part of the game, keeping the RAM Hex open to watch for the 10; it never came up, right up to the Vargas fight. 00 all the way. Is there anything in particular I should try to see if it triggers it?

$1E1D to $1E3F is unused in vanilla game so there's nothing in particular that can trigger this region of RAM unless it's something you modified. Is this the first time you play the game from start all up to Vargas and have the correct Blitz learned? If it's at 00 before Vargas, it should change to 03 according to what you've told me...
  Find

Status
None
Nope, the previous save where it's 10 is from before the Vargas fight and Sabin's recruitment. If it changes to 03 properly afterward, I can check tomorrow (I sped through the game so I was not prepared to actually face Vargas, or to beat him to recruit Sabin).

When you say they're unused in vanilla, what ROM locations should I be looking at? Maybe I did put something there after all.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Well whatever methods you're using, if it changes properly from 00 to 03 after Vargas with a one or two playthrough (one doing all possible stuff) you should consider this solved. Monitoring $1E3C is a thing you could do, to check where it change the value to 10, if it happens again. Not sure if snes9x does real time changes you might have to press break to see the RAM viewer change. I don't have any other solution for now.
  Find

Status
None
It does, other values changed in real time fine. I'll post tomorrow after the playthrough if it worked or not.

EDIT - A very odd thing. I have a save state from the glitchy-version. I loaded it up and even on the start screen, the 00 is at 10. But on the start screen with the old saves, it's 00.

EDIT x2 - Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fixed. I copied the master ROM over to the one that I'm using to test this stuff and there's the 10 again. I went back and checked those three Hex addresses you told me to last page, they were their original values. Changed them to what you said, 10 goes away. I'm gonna keep playing to make sure, ofc, but I think that fix did it. When saving this new save over the old, glitched ones, I could see the Hex changing even.

Only thing now is that 1E3F is now 10, but as you advised that I'll presume it's unused and doesn't matter?

EDIT x3 - Yup, all good, Sabin joins knowing the Blitzes he should. Huzzah!
  Find