Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
GrayShadow's 'Giving Gogo Magic' code

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
With all the other changes made to my hack, though, I don't want to apply a patch blindly and screw something up.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-10-2016, 05:40 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: With all the other changes made to my hack, though, I don't want to apply a patch blindly and screw something up.

This is where documenting your changes come handy.
  Find

Status
None
Yup. Sure would have.

[Image: thumb.png]
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
In all fairness GrayShadow's did at least provide a nice explanation there of what all this does, moves and effects, so it's not exactly going in blind when patching. And he says "It should be fine to use with other mods". It's very well commentated as well, meaning you could read through it and see if you did any changes to anything he did, and if not you should be good to go then...in theory.

Status
Tissue-aware
Backing up the ROM and testing it would be the solution. You could even make a revert patch if needed.
  Find

Status
None
This is true. I'll try it over the weekend. Thanks again for this stuff, Gi.
  Find

Status
None
Okay, here's the .asm I made and applied. Neither Gogo nor Umaro can use magic, now, they have the same glitched spelllists as before. And yes, my rom had a header. Just in case, went to the old save state and re-recruited Umaro. Nothing.

http://pastebin.com/wW6rh0kh

However, it did screw up my SwdTech and Blitzes - both of those skills are known to Level 7, but Sabin isn't at a high enough level to know his level 7 and I did Cyan's Dream.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
You'll have to restart a game to have a clean spell list because right now your magic learning RAM is filled with stuff that was moved. "Initialising RAM at New Game" is only done at new game...
  Find

Status
None
Okay, that's good to know, I can test from a new game up to Edgar easily enough.

Although, Gi said to use 0E?

EDIT - Didn't work. Started a new game, Edgar has no natural magic.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
; Section 2: Teaching Gogo Magic
org $C2558C
CMP #$0D              ; Branches for Umaro and above rather than Gogo and up.

Hmm, but wouldn't these CMP become $0E if he wanted Umaro instead of Gogo? Since Gogo is character 0C, and here the CMP is 0D which is one after, going in order for Umaro they would become 0E according to my logic.

As for natural magic not working for Edgar, you might need to change this as well in the 'RelmRecruit' section:
CMP $1608,Y      ; Check against current level.

To CMP $1604,Y (for Edgar), as it appears to be using Relm's ID there...ALTHOUGH, I might be wrong about this, I'm not sure do to my inexperience with assembly. So you should wait for some conformation about this.