Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Tenkarider's contest (accessible even to casuals)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
I have the submissions...
here's the features which won't appear in the submissions:

And now, the results...
Before that i must apologize with Lockirby2, because i gave a weird name to a key item of the task and so, when he sorted the inventory, that item disappeared due to a stupid bug of the game and so he lost some time... said that i'll consider his score like if he got the extra 10000 GP.

First - Cecil188

Second - Lockirby2

The next task will have to wait some extra time: i can't really help with that... Sad
(PS. the score of the 2 players is in the video description of youtube)

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Nice work Cecil! I didn't really have the time to optimize everything, but you did pretty much everything right from what I can tell. Smile

I figured out that Stealing from the end bosses nets you pretty good stuff, but Locke pretty much can't be in the party for the fight if you want to defeat the encounters ASAP. Otherwise you either will have trouble healing, or Stann? encounters become somewhat longer. And removing Edgar from the main team is simply out of the question. Similar story for Gau (although I certainly didn't notice that Stone thing without the ability to see the Ice Dragon's level). The encounter fighting team can't be the one that fights Tenka Rider because it is ill-equipped to fight the enemies, and he won't be level 10 otherwise.

Overall, this challenge is probably my favorite one. I think that the Gil-score system meshes better with the puzzles than the speedruns do, IMO.

EDIT: Hey Tenka, where do you get Hint #3? I never found it.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Atma
Maybe in the very first battles it's not convenient to use Locke instead of Cyan, but after some battle Bio Blaster is able to one shot the minions, against Stann? Noiseblaster should be perfect, because Stann? Shock + minions Virite(or 2 Shocks) are enough to win the fight... in the first battles you might even consider to use one of the 2 Air lancet to do decent AoE damage... at the end this group could also steal the Fire shield from Ice Dragon and lose on purpose.

The one of Stone required a sharp vision of the task and some try, testing the level matching: it was at least feasible to get that clue, because Ice Dragon deals very low damage(less that 50 with attack and ~160 with spells) said that, it was the party destined to fight Tenka Rider, so the lowest level Gau could reach was 9... fighting Hart-Hunt once was (more or less) enough to get level 10.

On a side note i buffed Brawler rage: Stone is used always and it cannot miss the target(almost impossible to realize on your own, but i always mention(vaguely) what i hack in my tasks, in general... Tongue)

So even you like most this task? Cecil188 said the same thing... Looks like the score idea was good! Kungfu!

PS. hint 3 was the common steal from Fidor... quite funny that you got hint 4 instead, which was his rare steal Laugh

What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 4
Status
Blind
I'm sad that I ended up missing out on this one, it looked real fun. Hopefully when things cool down in march I'll have time for whatever the next one ends up being!
  Find

Status
Atma
It's fine, Jackimus... I'll wait for your subission, of the next task. Wink

Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
Hmm...I saw that Brawler had the Stone ability, but I disregarded it due to physical attacks taking enemies off Confuse(I wasn't keen enough to see the 100% use rate of Stone). I also completely forgot the x16 or whatever damage from same level use. I considered all the rages when thinking about doing the entire thing with Terra, Sabin, and Gau, but I couldn't think of a good way to fit any of them in. With everything in mind, however, I don't think it would have affected my score at all, just my run time.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Status
Atma
The damage multiplier of Stone is 8x, not 16x Laugh that would have been OP... people quickly forgets about the level matching extra effect, but i dislike that and, when possible, try to give 8x boost some value.

I guess i was afraid of the point assignment by time system... since it was untested i decided to put a "grey zone" of 10 minutes and so, only after 20 minutes the score decreases... now that i see the results i'm pretty sure that -500 points, starting from 11:00, would have been perfect and provided a real reason to do some advanced tactic, like sneaking with Locke for the shield, or place Terra near to Tenka Rider immediately and possibly also splitting battles between the 2 groups.

I guess that extra 1000 points under 10:00 was just a bait for Lockirby2 Laugh
To be more precise rare spawns should be 1/4 as rate... another proof that FF6 RNG sucks... in that wasn't the case, finishing quickly could have been an option too. Finger

PS. WOOT! i'm Vivi!!! (600th post)

Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
Yeah, I did consider the 10 minute buffer zone kind of strange, but hey, these things are hard to predict before you try it.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Status
Atma
Sorry for the delay, luckily i found a bit of time for creating the new task...
This is potentially the most enigmatic task of my whole contest: prepare to pick up a piece of paper and a pen(or a text file and a keyboard XD) to figure out the task solution.
Probably this task is the one who represents most the puzzle nature of the contest, the one nearest to what i wanted to do with my tasks...

Here's the new task:

Task #7: Lost Number

Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/23l2eh...+patch.rar

Place: Narshe's school for adventurers

Area of the task: From Narshe to Zozo(or maybe WoB?) ;

Enemies: A bunch of Liars (lol, the same of previous task XD) ;

Task goal: Talk to all Liars in Zozo and then try to figure out the right clock combination... the task ends when you input the hh/mm/ss combination that you think is the right one;

Rom version: 1.0(headered)
What's hacked: battle dialogues, map dialogues, some item, some chest, "something" that appears in many places;

The party takes a little rest, after the previous great battle, but now it's time to search for Terra! Locke was in search of informations among people in Narshe, until he meets Lone Wolf... a famous(?) thief.
In exchange of letting him go away, Locke gets from him some nice information:

a) First of all, there's a clock in Zozo that needs to be resetted... fixing it is a thing, but there's actually another super secret combination!!! Who manages to guess that combination will win a marvelous treasure;
b) An esper like girl felt in the top of the highest building of Zozo;

For a coincidence, both the clues takes to Zozo(Luckily for Terra), so Locke, due to his nature of thie... err... adventurer, Immediately prepares to leave Narshe, so fast that he forgets to form a party.

Now, he might have a change of heart and spend 2 minutes calling them, or maybe not... he must really desire that treasure!
There's a long way before reaching Zozo... or maybe not? After the first info he barely listened about Terra's clue, still he vaguely remembers that he mentioned a third info... something about an amazing shortcut somewhere? "whatever, sooner or later i'll get that treasure!" must have thought...
I don't know if that treasure exists for real or not, but guessing that secret combination is your goal.
So... here's some rule:

1) The task finishes when you input what you think is the secret combination, a message will say to stop recording the video, do it as soon as that message is displayed;

2) All people of Zozo, EXCEPT the merchant in the street are liars: they know the secret code, so you need talking to them... also the merchant have some useful info to share;

3) Dadaluma is a member of Zozo, so also him knows the combination: he might tell you something, but he will that ONLY during the battle, and will speak very fast too! make sure to hear that clue;

4) You HAVE to speak to all liars of the town, which means:
- Not the merchant;
- Not the guys that will be in the beginning of the city, after you find Terra;
- The guy inside the first building;
- The guy in the room with a clock... and examine the clock too;
- The guy inside the entrance of the greatest building;
- The queue of guys and the reception guy;
- Other 2 guys in the buildings which take to Dadaluma;
- Dadaluma.
15 liars in total. You don't know the code and Locke won't guess it randomly, so you are forced to talk to all the liars, Beat Dadaluma and then input the combination, if you don't talk to all of them, the task will be failed, so don't miss Dadaluma's clue, or it will be a failure;

5) No one forces you to find Terra or talk the merchant... as you wish;

6) You can't input the code before you have talked to all the liars, even because the task ends right there! if you do that, it's like you broke rule #4, even if you talk to the others later(what happens after the message tells you to stop recording must be cut out from the video) ;

7) I won't care at all if you look inside the ROM: the secret code doesn't exist in the game, and it won't trigger any event, it's written only in one text file of my computer and inside my head Tongue

8) The timer stops as soon as you examine the clock to reset: so input the combination SLOWLY, take a pause, do that in 5 minutes, 10? whatever... since the timer is stopped you don't have any need of rushing while inputing the combination, the only thing important is that, in the video, it's totally clear what combination you've chosen, nothing else.
Just to be sure, PM me the combination you chose, with the video submission;

9) The combination is REALLY hard(i think) to guess, there's also the chance that no one will guess it... it's ok that too: the submission will still be valid and the winner will be the one who stopped the timer for first; but remember: say Lockirby2 stops the timer in 3 minutes, but fails with the combination... if any other guy will guess the combination, then that guy will beat all the others, even if he took 3 hours to finish the task XD
On a side note, if more than 1 player will guess it, then it will be the time to decide who won among them;

10) Travel with anyone you want, hire Shadow if you want... but remember that Locke MUST be in the party, since he wants that treasure, do the opposite and it will be a failure;

11) Psycho Cyan bug is forbidden and, while it's allowed to die and then load the save, it's better you know that the counter of liars you've spoken to will be resetted: after you beat Dadaluma you're gonna exit the building on feet, not with a cheap warp, dying on purpose, after he speaks and so reaching in no time the clock.

PS: If you're not sure about what the merchant said, please PM me for questions, rather than skrewing the combination.

Time start: Beginning of February 21;

Time end: The end of March 21;

When you record the task, task's timer starts as soon as you load the save.
Enjoy the task!!

Find

Status
Atma
One week is left, friendly reminder...

PS. post #700: who i'll become now? :3
Edit: lol, stil not upgraded Laugh

Find