Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Tenkarider's contest (accessible even to casuals)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Too bad... you were quite close from shorten your time Tongue

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Atma
I received a positive a positive feedback from Cecil, thanks for that Wink
Anyway i was curious to hear the opinion of Lockirby2 too... nothing to say?

Meanwhile i'll post the name of the next task...

Task #2: The unworthy apprentice
coming soon.

What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
The downside to this task in my opinion is that the puzzle hinged on being able to guess a weird game mechanic like being able to remove some weapons of some characters, but only in battle and not in the menus. It requires a lot of moon logic to figure something like that out. For something like this, I feel like the player should go into the challenge with enough knowledge to know and/or guess at a strategy right off the bat. Of course experimentation will be necessary to get a better time than you would otherwise, but the player should be able to at least guess what they should experiment with. In that regard, maybe you should be more transparent with weird things like that instead of making them "puzzles".

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Atma
I know that... if it wasn't for the time line order, i'd put this task later, maybe after some task in which people already started to see that mechanic, without being so much relevant to solve tasks.

I relied much on the fact that people, seeing moogle's shields may had think something like: "they have too much powerful shield for just being equipped on them, sounds fishy..."
Still a logic like that was feasible only for veterans(due to being the first task).

Anyway i wanted to do this because it was possible only there, in which you had a plenty of moogles with locked equipments, the task is played in a single room, it's difficult to hide something in so few space, if not in the moogles.
That means also that it cannot happen anymore something like that...

The next task has a completely different approach.

Find

Status
Double
(07-24-2014, 11:47 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: I relied much on the fact that people, seeing moogle's shields may had think something like: "they have too much powerful shield for just being equipped on them, sounds fishy..."
Still a logic like that was feasible only for veterans(due to being the first task).

While that train of logic made sense, and I feel many would have come to that first conclusion, I'd guess that 90% of people would try removing them in the normal menu, make the perfectly reasonable conclusion that it is actually impossible, then give up (like Cecil did). Even if they tried removing shields in battle after that, half of people would attempt to remove it from the wrong moogle, think "this is silly, I already tried removing it in the menu," and give up as well.

It isn't even about being a veteran, really. I figured it out using a "find bugs" mindset, not an "FF6 strategy" mindset, if that sentence makes any sense. It wasn't a bug, but it was more like finding a bug than figuring out a puzzle, because puzzles are intuitive based on IRL style logic, but bugs are only intuitive if you are logicing out the game mechanics themselves.

That being said, you are keeping to your timeline, but it probably would have made more sense to ditch the puzzle aspect and just spill the beans on that one.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Atma
That feature has a particular meaning for me: The first hack i ever played of ff6(i think it was ff3 hardtypeus or something), i remember that in the moment in which you control Leo(since i always try to remove equips in battle from temp. allies, no matter what), i checked his equip and it had a save the queen instead of a crystal, i never did it before, but when i removed it and obtained a super weapon... well, that impressed me much. No one told me about that, nor i did expect that it was removable, but it was.
It's not the best way to do it, but i want to make people aware of that feature and eventually affect their choices, in order to spread its use, which is very interesting, and usable in my opinion.

In this case i treated this puzzle more like a scene of the crime Laugh
More than a logic interaction, i thought at hidden shields more like a "proof" to search in order to discover "the guilty".
After figuring that out it was left only to choose one of the possibles combination, but i guess it was a bad idea.

"but it probably would have made more sense to ditch the puzzle aspect and just spill the beans on that one"

Actually at a certain point i did it: (took from a previous post)
<<<<
Two great advices(despite the Infoman in the story mention that) :

THE INVENTORY IN BATTLE: Pay attention to your resources in the inventory, while you are in battle;
WEAPON SWITCH IN BATTLE: take in consideration the necessity of switch weapons in battle, really.
>>>>

While the inventory advice was quite clear, the second one didn't directly mention the possibility of take shields from 3 moogles, but here your IRL logic style should had say to the player(like in the case of Cyprus) : "hey, hold a moment... the only ones that can do it are Locke and Mog, but locke can only switch between a dirk and mithril knife; Mog has only the mithril pike; among buckler and mithril shield there's not a great difference, this is a useless feature: how can that be a great advice??? "

Now: tell me that it wasn't actually a clear declaration of the possibility of switch equips among the other moogles, that was the only thing that could give a sense to my statement...

Lie to people who needs of an help is ridiculous, my advice had to be true for sure, right? After that advice it should have been worth of the effort just try to remove equips from any moogle, until you find the right ones.

I really hoped that there wasn't any need of other clues to figure that out, seems like i was wrong. Sad

Quite predictable feedback, but thanks anyway.
How 'bout your task? looks like you're putting some effort in its creation, despite it's taking me much time, looks like i may be able to post my task before you...

Find

Status
Double
You did mention these things, but I was talking about mentioning them upfront so that you didn't have to drop hints after some people had already started looking. I noticed that most of my participants submitted extremely quickly, which means that if I'm guessing the timeline right, your hint post was too slow to curtail the majority of the frustration for most people who did try it.

I'm actually playing through the game to get my save this time, instead of downloading an internet save and making modifications, because it had some unpleasing side effects. That's the main reason for the slowness this time.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Atma
Okay, it took a bunch of time... but here's the new task!

Task #2 : The unworthy apprentice

Place: Few steps from Figaro South(WoB)

Area of the task: From Narshe entrance to the end of Mt. Kolts

Enemies: Vargas and the bears(and obviously any other monster before
them, this one will be omitted in the next ones, in order to avoid to
write redundant infos);

Task goal: Find Sabin and make sure he won't be killed by Vargas.

Rom version: 1.0(headered)
Everything is hacked: you, the enemies, dialogues, a bit of world map and a little work on music too.

NOTE: this time won't be a narrow place, with unguessable hidden game features to extract super shield or other secret weapons... forget the previous task, this is another story.

In a parallel universe... Sabin isn't able to learn blitz moves, maybe due to a lack of effort, or talent... who knows.
That makes anger Vargas, who decides to chase Sabin and kill him if he won't quit from being a blitzer.
Vargas considers Sabin an unworthy apprentice, which means a shame to the noble discipline of blitz; Duncan is obviously unaware of all this situation(he's unharmed, at least).
Until now, Sabin managed to escape, using cheap tricks... but he's actually planning a way to defeat Vargas, trying to exploit any weakness and eventually assist a group of fighters that may starting a battle with him.

In order to win you have to beat Vargas for sure, but make sure to stop recording ONLY in the moment in which the screen that will follow the battle will be displayed(since it shows that you found Sabin and stuff, see below.)

Sabin cannot do any blitz, so this time a cheap pummel won't save you from a full battle Hold on
The worst thing is that Vargas is a true blitz master: You don't really want to see him casting Bum Rush, trust me.

No one implies that you have to solve the whole mess with Sabin alone... You may be able to kill him using the trio, even before Sabin appears!(that's the reason why you have to stop to record only in the screen that follows the battle, if you stop it inside the battle screen, no one can really prove that you met Sabin).

I haven't took/opened anything, you could find useful to collect abandoned stuff, the stage of this task is a portion of the world, you may have need to search for some information about how to solve the task... Now you can talk to people, that may make you aware of really important details about the world, items, monsters, enemy weaknesses and stuff.

There are always many way to win the task, but you may have need to make a decision, or two: One road may deny you the possibility to do something else... That will definitively require a planned strategy to become a succesful route to the victory.

Time start: beginning of July 28

Time end: the end of August 28(this may be moved on a later date, in order to avoid to make a conflict with the task of Lockirby2)

When you record the task, the task's timer is as soon as you load the save.

Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/53lb3m...+patch.rar

Good luck and have fun!! Wink

Find

Status
Atma
One note: Someone tried to apply the patch of task #2 on the rom already patched with task #1 patch... don't try this at home! XD

It will result in bugs and stuff.

Each new task i hack is always based on a clean ROM, so patch always on a clean ROM, thanks.

Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
Ha! I wonder who was stupid enough to do that!

P.S. It definitely probably maybe possibly was not me.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find