Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI Advance Editor

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-19-2013, 09:32 PM)Kristael Wrote: Is it feasible for you to create a magic assignment system? One of my first ideas for customizing the game was to give certain spells to only certain characters.

Are you talking about a natural magic list or RAM editing? In both case I'm not planning to add such features because a custom natural magic list falls into ARM hacking and in the seconds case, well it's RAM editing and I'm working a ROM editor.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I was wondering how long til the next release, and what new features are going to make it into the next release?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-20-2013, 02:15 PM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: I was wondering how long til the next release, and what new features are going to make it into the next release?

I'm not giving any approximate release date but real life has kicked in recently. As for new features, there will be for sure a dialogue editor and probably the option to edit the other strings of the game. There will also be a portrait editor and I might add a moster editor depending how goes the data finding. Right now, I'm working on the portrait editor and on a custom textbox (like FF3usME) since text editing will require to display all possible characters of both fonts instead of regular text.
  Find

Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I think I am just starting to wrap my head around this, so forgive my ignorance.

My ideal is basically a system that would allow an editor to assign spells to characters. I guess that would inevitably fall under the category of natural magic?

I guess I'll just stick with giving certain relics 100% spell teaching properties as a way of editing spell lists. Which, to be honest, is pretty awesome anyway. Thanks for allowing me to do that, and for taking the time to answer my silly questions. :3
  Find

Status
None
(08-20-2013, 11:10 AM)Madsiur Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 09:32 PM)Kristael Wrote: Is it feasible for you to create a magic assignment system? One of my first ideas for customizing the game was to give certain spells to only certain characters.

Are you talking about a natural magic list or RAM editing? In both case I'm not planning to add such features because a custom natural magic list falls into ARM hacking and in the seconds case, well it's RAM editing and I'm working a ROM editor.

Hey, hey! I had an interesting idea that may or may not be something you could pull off...
What if there is a way to create one-use items that teach a certain spell? This would be great for a couple of ideas I have, a "New Game +" version of the game as well as a separate "Limited Magic" version. There may already be a way to do this in your GBA version editor or in one of the SNES editors, but I'm still in the process of figuring things out. If only I had the time I used to have, I'd spend entire days learning everything I could about hacking this game. Wink
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
(08-26-2013, 07:33 PM)Kristael Wrote: What if there is a way to create one-use items that teach a certain spell?

That kind of editing would be ARM hacking, which Madsiur's already said he's not including in this project. I've thought about tackling it in ASM for the SNES rom, but I don't know anything about ARM to try it for FF6A.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Status
None
Madsiur, think you mentioned you hadn't yet searched out Terra's/ Celes' Learn Lists. Terra starts at 62AAFB, and Celes follows 32 bites later at 62AB1B. The Magic Spell is listed first, followed by the level learned (so search 2D 01 00 03 32 06 for the start of the block). ...Sabin and Cyan's Ability Learn Lists are stored similarly somewhere too.

I would say the best way of making customizable learn-lists in a game is by limiting equipment as in who-can equip and then giving that equipment magic growth rates. Weapons are even better for this than relics (ex. only Relm can equip Brushes, so she can learn a personal spell from each).
This is more easily accomplished if you make certain characters learn no magic and instead give them a 2nd skill set to overwrite Magic. Example: if Cyan learns no Magic, than you can have someone else equip Katanas as well and have her learn a spell from each one.

Hacking in extra lists of natural magic is rather complicated and involves pointing from the level-up sequence (in battle and auto-leveling) to a place where there is free space and the learn lists can be created. Having this be customizable in a hacking utility would be very difficult.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-02-2013, 07:25 PM)Valiente Wrote: Madsiur, think you mentioned you hadn't yet searched out Terra's/ Celes' Learn Lists. Terra starts at 62AAFB, and Celes follows 32 bites later at 62AB1B. The Magic Spell is listed first, followed by the level learned (so search 2D 01 00 03 32 06 for the start of the block). ...Sabin and Cyan's Ability Learn Lists are stored similarly somewhere too.

Thanks for the info! I'll add this feature in the next versions.
  Find

Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I have to admit that your FF6 advance Editor has created a renewed interest hacking for me. I tried a few times with various editors, and didnt really have the patience to follow through with any particular project.

In the process of waiting for a complete version of FF6AE, I decided to work on Gronds Final Fantasy. This is the only completely bugfixed and Intelligence enabled hack of FF1. Because the data doesnt match up with FFHackster, I have been creating lists of raw hex so that this hack can be edited by others as well when I am done compiling all the data.

I plan on submitting the complete set of documents to Romhacking.net when I am done.

Is there a simple way to describe to me how to just create my own editor. Trying to do a well thought out hack with text documents and a hex editor seem rather primitive. I have just learned how to hex edit, and have no idea how to program or create a utility, but would like to learn if it is simple enough to grasp.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-03-2013, 03:07 PM)Joe73ffdq Wrote: Is there a simple way to describe to me how to just create my own editor. Trying to do a well thought out hack with text documents and a hex editor seem rather primitive. I have just learned how to hex edit, and have no idea how to program or create a utility, but would like to learn if it is simple enough to grasp.

You have to learn how to program. There are several concept to learn (functions, methods, data types, ''for'' loop, conditions, etc...) but you can learn those while starting to program simple applications or console programs. You'll have to select a programming language also, and for make an application such as an ROM editor, Winforms application in C# let you drag and drop your components on your form, so it's sort of more user-friendly in a way. Now there are other alternatives but the best thing you could do is look for a book online (there are numerous free) about the language of your choice with exercices and look at some online programming tutorials.
  Find