Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Requests for Help

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(04-08-2021, 11:53 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Thanks, CDude! I have it working. The code is a frankenstein's monster, and is almost guaranteed to conflict with another hack, so I'm not posting it here. Let's just say I'm taking space I freed up with other C1 changes and doing a whole lot of subroutines. But it's working! Kappa now turns into a merchant when she is imped.

I was thinking about this and, in a non-vanillish hack with a cast of 7 or less--this same approach could be used to give every character a unique imp sprite.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
William Kage has converted his General Leo Theme, Shock and Awe, to MIDI format. Gi Nattack has tentatively agreed to help me add it as a music track in the game! This means that a brand new song, composed for the specific purpose of being a character theme for Leo, is being added to the game! (I'm a bit excited, if you can't tell.)

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (04-18-2021)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-18-2021, 01:42 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: William Kage has converted his General Leo Theme, Shock and Awe, to MIDI format. Gi Nattack has tentatively agreed to help me add it as a music track in the game!

That's an awesome news!
  Find

Status
None
One final question, and it's fine if the answer is simply a yes or a no. Has anyone ever coded a patch that puts the item description window in the equip screen, so that you can see a weapon's special effects?

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(05-06-2021, 05:27 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: One final question, and it's fine if the answer is simply a yes or a no. Has anyone ever coded a patch that puts the item description window in the equip screen, so that you can see a weapon's special effects?

Oh yes, GrayShadows built an amazing combined gear + relic equip screen that also loads item descriptions. You can see it live in the wild in Brave New World, though I understand they built it separate initially and ported it over. Here's what it looks like:

Find

Threads: 20
Status
None
(05-06-2021, 08:49 PM)SirNewtonFig Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 05:27 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: One final question, and it's fine if the answer is simply a yes or a no. Has anyone ever coded a patch that puts the item description window in the equip screen, so that you can see a weapon's special effects?

Oh yes, GrayShadows built an amazing combined gear + relic equip screen that also loads item descriptions. You can see it live in the wild in Brave New World, though I understand he built it separate initially and ported it over. Here's what it looks like:

Yes, I am currently using this awesome menu by GrayShadows (he was kind enough to share the code with me), but currently it has a bug with Genji Glove in which you can equip two swords on a character, remove the Genji Glove, and the character will keep the two swords.  This is because he removed the optimize function (not a huge loss on its own, but it causes the aforementioned bug along with a few other quirks, like the Gauntlet not auto-removing a shield).
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
None
Yeah. It works great in its original context, because BNW doesn't have Genji Gloves or Gauntlets – the dual wield and 2h properties are on weapons themselves, and there's other tweaks going on around that.

But the bits around loading and displaying the description could be lifted from it with a bit of poking around, if that's all PowerPanda is looking for. As I understand it, they're rolling with the Y-button Equip/Relic menu switch patch in Divergent Paths.
  Find

Threads: 20
Status
None
(05-07-2021, 01:55 PM)SirNewtonFig Wrote: Yeah. It works great in its original context, because BNW doesn't have Genji Gloves or Gauntlets – the dual wield and 2h properties are on weapons themselves, and there's other tweaks going on around that.

But the bits around loading and displaying the description could be lifted from it with a bit of poking around, if that's all PowerPanda is looking for. As I understand it, they're rolling with the Y-button Equip/Relic menu switch patch in Divergent Paths.

Yes, I was informed of BNW not having the Genji Glove/Gauntlet by GrayShadows. I was actually in the exact same boat as PowerPanda. In fact, I was asking around for a long time for a description in the equipment menu in addition to the Relics menu.  I was also using the Y-Button switch to equip/relic menu patch. GrayShadows combination menu does exactly what I want, but the Genji Glove/Gauntlet bug is kind of glaring... I'm hoping he is able to fix it, otherwise I might have to remove it from my hack or hope that someone else isolates the description part of the code - although I would miss the combination equipment/relics menu (once you have it, it's hard to go back).
  Find

Status
None
Hmmm... Thanks everyone for posting about that combined equipment/relic screen hack. At this point, I don't think I would implement that even if it were available. I put in a TON of work, rewriting the entire Optimize sequence, in order to give the Genji Glove (Bracers in my hack) additional functionality. Anything that messes with that is an immediate no-go to me. I'm trying to cross the finish line before next Friday (a week from today), when my house is lifting our pandemic lockdown and we start having social gatherings again. Right now, I just have the end credits left, though I may have to take some time sequencing a midi so Gi can help me add Leo's theme to the game.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Shell
Okay, I have some code to make tools randomly break:

Code:
hirom

org $C1FFE5  ;  freespace
check_command:
CMP #$09
BEQ check_command_end
CMP #$01
BEQ check_command_end
CMP #$08
check_command_end:
RTS

org $C1710F
JSR check_command
NOP
NOP
NOP

org $C21887
JSR check_break
NOP

org $C24DA7
JSR check_command_c2
NOP
NOP
NOP

org $C26469  ;  freespace
check_command_c2:
CMP #$09
BEQ check_command_c2_end
CMP #$01
BEQ check_command_c2_end
CMP #$08
check_command_c2_end:
RTS

check_break:
PHA
PHP
JSR $2B63      ;  Multiply A by 30, size of item data block
REP #$10       ;  Set 16-bit X and Y
TAX
LDA $D85012,X  ;  equipment spell byte.  Bit 7: 1 = remove from inventory upon usage, 0 = nope
BPL no_break   ;  if the flag is not set, this tool never breaks
JSR $4B5A
AND #$1F       ;  1/32 chance of breaking
BNE no_break
LDA #$44       ;  "Orge Nix broke!" dialog. Works for most tools but gets clobbered by the Air Anchor "Move and you're dust!"
STA $3401      
SEP #$10       ;  Set 8-bit X and Y
TYX
LDA #$FF
STA $32F4,X    ;  null item index to add to inventory. This means the item will stay deducted from your inventory.
LDA $3018,X
BRA check_break_end

no_break:
LDA #$10
TSB $B1        ;  set flag to re-add item to inventory at the end of the character's turn
check_break_end:
TSB $3A8C      ;  flag character to have any applicable item in $32F4,X added back to inventory when turn is over.
PLP
PLA
SBC #$A2       ;  carry was clear, so subtract 163
STA $B6        ;  save unique Tool index.  0 = NoiseBlaster, 1 = Bio Blaster, etc.
RTS

Notes:
1. You have to set the "destroy if used" bit on all of the tools you want to have a chance to break.
2. When tools are used, they will temporarily be removed from the inventory, then added back after the character's turn if they didn't break.
3. When a tool breaks, it displays the "Ogre Nix broke!" message. You probably want to edit that message to be more generic or add a new one.
4. If the Air Anchor breaks, the "Move and you're dust!" message clobbers the break message.
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Subtraction for this post:
  • C-Dude (07-08-2021), Gi Nattak (06-06-2021), PowerPanda (05-08-2021)