Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF4 assets aplenty, was there a hack?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
I've been browsing the sprite database and the custom song repository and I'm noticing there's a lot of FF4 content in there. Victory

Was somebody making an "FF4 in FF6 engine" hack?  Is it for crossovers like Dark Sorcerer?  Or is it just that FF4 was wildly popular?

...I've been toying with the idea of simulating a dark wave with Swordtech, having each of the eight versions do greater damage but with a bigger backlash.  It was really just a thought experiment, but I wonder if there would be merit to exploring an FF6 expression of the Lunarian struggle.  Has someone done this before?  I know there were attempts to depict 1 in this engine that didn't pan out, but again I'm curious if someone tried it with 4.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
There was an old project called The New FFIV but it was never finished. The author did not know how to make ASM changes, so the scope was somewhat limited with what was available. It would be interesting seeing someone with some coding skill attempting something similar..
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • C-Dude (01-29-2020)

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 17
Status
Imprisoned
i made iv monsters for rotds, fiv rules man

The only limit is imagination. And 16 colors.. I guess 

Status
Moog
(01-28-2020, 10:32 PM)JWhiteLXXXIX Wrote: i made iv monsters for rotds, fiv rules man

Didn't mean to insinuate otherwise, I like FF4 too.  I got on this goose chase because I've been playing an FF4 hack and I really hate the 16x16 overworld sprites.

I'm playing around with some sprites right now, splicing submissions by MetroidQuest, yourself, Pocoloco, and the BeyondChaos randomizer with rips from RecordKeeper to get a roster that feels authentic to the FF6 artstyle.  There were a lot that were good in the sprite database, but some of them were using FF4 battle sprites and the Yang that was available wouldn't have suited my purposes.

I think I'll set up a file with combat and sprites, to see what I can do with them and if my ideas work out in execution.  If it amuses me, I'll see about cobbling stick-figure sprite equivalents to the FF4 bestiary.  Still, don't get your hopes up that this'll grow into a real hack... even if I do end up doing something with it it'd likely not live up to expectations; I like to reinterpret and swap out characters and given FF6's 4-character party limit I'd have to significantly alter and shorten the scenario.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
I'm more interested in the idea of implementing Twincast (or Twin) in the Final Fantasy VI engine. madsiur came up with a workable idea  based on how this status works in Final Fantasy IV, but I worry that there would need to be a horribly extensive code rewrite of the entire battle engine, given that the battle system itself does not support simultaneous actions. Maybe creating battle events that would be triggered upon the command would be a more suitable solution? That will also lead the way for Bands/combination attacks as was mentioned long ago for which Catone provided some ideas on how to implement.

I have nowhere near enough knowledge to even begin to attempt something like this, but I like to daydream.
  Find

Status
Moog
(02-01-2020, 07:21 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: I'm more interested in the idea of implementing Twincast (or Twin) in the Final Fantasy VI engine. madsiur came up with a workable idea  based on how this status works in Final Fantasy IV, but I worry that there would need to be a horribly expensive code rewrite of the entire battle engine, given that the battle system itself does not support simultaneous actions. Maybe creating battle events that would be triggered upon the command would be a more suitable solution? That will also lead the way for Bands/combination attacks as was mentioned long ago for which Catone provided some ideas on how to implement.

I have nowhere near enough knowledge to even begin to attempt something like this, but I like to daydream.

I'm not there yet, but I was thinking more along the lines of Rage... on activation, check for the other twin, if present give them both rage status (and explicitly set the monster or randomly pick from a set of monsters that has twin spells) and give the non-acting twin Quick, then queue one action for each of them.  In theory that'd make them attack one after the other.

The other option is to make a new command that has them cast a dummy spell that makes them step forward (getting out of line) one at a time, then have the first one cast another dummy spell that creates a cast circle and does nothing, then have the second cast the actual twin spell, and finally have them both cast a THIRD dummy spell that makes them step back into position.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-01-2020, 07:21 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: Maybe creating battle events that would be triggered upon the command would be a more suitable solution?

This isn't really a viable solution since battle event are triggered from the monster script. You'd need to include it in every monster script.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Turbotastic (02-06-2020)

Status
Moog
(02-02-2020, 11:30 AM)madsiur Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 07:21 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: Maybe creating battle events that would be triggered upon the command would be a more suitable solution?

This isn't really a viable solution since battle event are triggered from the monster script. You'd need to include it in every monster script.

...Or have an invisible status monster in every formation, which I did in ReCast.  Hmm... I haven't done any animation editing in battle events, only character ID swaps.  I suppose this is as good an excuse as any to learn it.

I imagine with that approach you would need to have the command check for all relevant parties (and gray itself out if that check fails).  The status monster registers the command, triggers the event (and animation) and casts against the enemy party.  Unfortunately this would be a counterattack script, meaning everything that was queued before it would trigger first (possibly even killing one of the twins, though they'd still animate as if they were alive) [I've had bad luck with 'trigger even during quick' counters, I'm not sure the best way to go about that].  It'd also mean the spell would cast based on the monster's stats, which is a mixed bag because you can directly set the power but it won't scale to the twins gaining levels.
  Find