Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Burying the Airship Glitch?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
Has anybody on this board done any work on the Airship Glitch? That is, exploiting the Game Over move to pull the Blackjack to the wrong point in the scenario, potentially blorking up the event script?

I just read about this glitch, and I think I've got an idea for how someone might hide it, preventing the player from ever encountering it.  Apparently it's caused by jumping off the Floating Continent, flying without landing, returning to the Floating Continent, and then getting a game over.

Here's my idea and my reasoning:
(1) The glitch occurs because the player does not land before returning to the Floating Continent
(2) Thus, if we can force the player to land before returning to the Floating Continent, we can prevent them from being able to trigger the glitch
(3) We can prevent the player from being able to select the "Find the Floating Continent" dialogue through use of an event flag.
(4) We can set this event flag when the player chooses to jump back onto the airship on the Floating Continent.
(5) There must be a way to clear this flag while the player is on the world map, on foot. [This is the shaky part].

I couldn't find any way in the event script to distinguish being on the world map on foot and being on the world map in the Blackjack (thus I can't just clear the bit with event editing).  However, there's an initialization routine for a landed airship in the EE bank (starts at EE/4D34).  If a subroutine was injected somewhere here, the event bit we picked in step (4) could be manually cleared from the RAM (AND with FF minus Bit, store result).  That way, the player has to land at least once before the option to return to the Floating Continent returns, preventing the glitch.

Any thoughts?  Does anybody have any different ideas for preventing this glitch?
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
I suspect BNW fixes this bug accidentally by just returning the player to the title screen upon death. If retaining EXP gained prior to a game over isn't a desired behaviour, you could probably fix the airship glitch in the same way.

Another way to prevent the glitch may be to have the prompt to find the Floating Continent anywhere *but* the airship. It's not entirely intuitive, and certainly less convenient, but it would force the player to land before going back to the Floating Continent.

If you're looking for more technical ideas, I'm not the guy for that.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cecil188 for this post:
  • C-Dude (12-25-2019)

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
Novalia Spirit had a patch called Instant Airship that to my knowledge fixes the bug without issue.

This thread has a link to an archive on dropbox containing the patch:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3732.html
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • C-Dude (12-25-2019), madsiur (12-23-2019)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
Thank you both. I'll look at what Novalia Spirit's patch does and see if it works with other changes I've made. If not, maybe I'll make the 'jump on the airship' plant the player near Albrook with the Airship grounded nearby. It's less convoluted than throwing and trying to catch an event bit.

EDIT: Read and applied Novalia's patch after a few tweaks (I didn't have the extra 10 bytes at the end of the event script, so I had to throw in an extra subroutine for the action ques to make room).
Thanks for the help!
  Find