Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(10-27-2019, 09:00 AM)Murdertrain Wrote: I wish I could learn this stuff myself.

Well, if it's any encouragement, I started off on this site 2 years ago spending a week trying to figure out how to make a relic change "Runic" into "Shock". Once you get the basics down, the rest just kind of flows from there.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
(10-27-2019, 02:55 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 09:00 AM)Murdertrain Wrote: I wish I could learn this stuff myself.

Well, if it's any encouragement, I started off on this site 2 years ago spending a week trying to figure out how to make a relic change "Runic" into "Shock". Once you get the basics down, the rest just kind of flows from there.

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but my experience has been completely different.

I lurked on several message boards for five or six years before I can actually get some of the basic concepts of ROM hacking. Even though there were tutorials, a lot of them glossed over certain basic building blocks, such as what hex editing actually is, how a byte could be code or data, or what was realistically possible with ROM hacking versus building one's own engine. I only stepped in here a few years ago because I did want to make changes, but I had absolutely no idea of what the framework was to make the changes. It was only after at least a year that I finally began to understand some very bare bones basics, and it took another year and a half after that just to make one of the major changes I would like to make. I soon quit after that because I realized I didn't have the aptitude to do things like make ASM files. While I can at least follow along with with what people are talking about now, for me this limited knowledge did not come quickly. I thought prior to this form that ROM hacking was simply changing one byte of hexidecimal to another, seeing if the one-byte change were successful or if it broke, then working from there. I didn't realize there was organized way of proceeding, and necessary for knowledge before getting to the point of making changes.

By the time I learn how to achieve my other goals, somebody would have already done what I wanted. So I can understand the frustration of Never-Hackers, because to me the process has not been intuitive.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
@PowerPanda I just signed up too say that I am super excited about this edition. I loved The 3 Scenarios and I really think this will be the greatest Hack after the General Leo Edition.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to General_Leo for this post:
  • PowerPanda (04-14-2020)

Status
None
Thanks, General_Leo. I should probably post an update here. Progress has been slow going, as real life has consistently gotten in the way. Also, because of changes I made to the MMMMMagic patch, my save files got messed up, and I knew I needed to start over in order to make any progress. A few days ago, I got the itch to get back to it, and started up a new save file. I made a handful of minor fixes, but the 2 major changes have been
1. Implementing the Moogle Charm/Moogle Lure in the training school at the beginning of the game. As detailed in another thread, the Charm drops random encounters to 0%, the Lure increases by 50%, and the combination of both decreases by 50%.
2. Moving the "party HQ" from Narshe to Figaro Castle during the portion of the game where you are searching for Terra and trying to get into the Empire. I have a different thread about this.

Next step is playing all the way through the World of Balance, to ensure everything is as I want it. Then I get to start adding new content to the WoR.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 1
Status
None
(04-14-2020, 03:14 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Progress has been slow going, as real life has consistently gotten in the way. Also, because of changes I made to the MMMMMagic patch, my save files got messed up, and I knew I needed to start over in order to make any progress. A few days ago, I got the itch to get back to it, and started up a new save file. I made a handful of minor fixes, but the 2 major changes have been
1. Implementing the Moogle Charm/Moogle Lure in the training school at the beginning of the game. As detailed in another thread, the Charm drops random encounters to 0%, the Lure increases by 50%, and the combination of both decreases by 50%.
2. Moving the "party HQ" from Narshe to Figaro Castle during the portion of the game where you are searching for Terra and trying to get into the Empire. I have a different thread about this.

Next step is playing all the way through the World of Balance, to ensure everything is as I want it. Then I get to start adding new content to the WoR.
My man, No worries. So happy too hear the creative itch has has gotten you again. Like I said before I am most looking forward to playing your hard work. I really like the Idea of the Moogle Lure. I trust your ability with your mod.
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
None
@PowerPanda
I too appreciate your work on this hack and look forward to playing its release!
  Find

Status
None
Status update:

*I have successfully played through the game up to the point of recruiting all of the original characters plus Leo, fixing a few minor bugs along the way. I just need to level up a bit and beat Kefka to confirm the game is completable from start to finish.
*I added natural magic for Relm.
*Successfully incorporated GrayShadow's ability event change command, and used it to give Gau the "Fight" command after he meets his father.
*Made some minor modifications to the Falcon to make the internal geometry make a bit more sense. Added windows to make it feel less dank.
*Tweaked the Esper spell lists to make more sense for progression.

I'm zeroing in on releasing an incomplete version of this hack that has the first 75% of the game in its completed form.

Projects:
  Find

Status
None
Thankee!
  Find

Status
None
(05-07-2020, 11:48 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: Status update:

*I have successfully played through the game up to the point of recruiting all of the original characters plus Leo, fixing a few minor bugs along the way. I just need to level up a bit and beat Kefka to confirm the game is completable from start to finish.
*I added natural magic for Relm.
*Successfully incorporated GrayShadow's ability event change command, and used it to give Gau the "Fight" command after he meets his father.
*Made some minor modifications to the Falcon to make the internal geometry make a bit more sense. Added windows to make it feel less dank.
*Tweaked the Esper spell lists to make more sense for progression.

I'm zeroing in on releasing an incomplete version of this hack that has the first 75% of the game in its completed form.

What would be cool is if you could incorporate some of the ideas from Catone's Falcon Expanded hack: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-2794.html

Having a treasure room showing the key items you've collected, and the expanded NPC's would be really awesome at least.
  Find

Status
None
I looked into the Falcon Expanded hack, and while I liked the idea, I didn't like the execution. The main draw was the Magitek suits, and they were incredibly buggy. Still, I liked the idea of collecting NPCs to do special things in the airship, and decided to add it. My current draft is...

Arvis
Recruited from Kohlingen
Unequips collected characters

Cid
Recruited from solitary island if you save him
Uses healing magic to restore HP/MP (aka a free inn, since money is no object by that point in the game)

Lola
Recruited from Maranda if you (A) completed the WoB sidequest with Dak, the wounded soldier in Mobliz, and (B) Have Leo in the lead.
Optimizes equipment on all of your characters. (Note: I may not have event space left over when all is said and done, so this may get cut. If it is cut, she will turn into a general store for healing items)

Ziegfried (aka Fake Siegfried)
Recruited from the Colosseum
Operates a store for Shadow's throwing items, so you can restock on the airship.

Duncan
Recruited from Duncan's cottage
Allows you to make an ability-changing relic semi-permanent. IE - if Locke talks to him while wearing the Thief Glove, he will allow Locke to make Mug his default ability, even without the Thief Glove equipped. Talking to him again will allow Locke to change back to Steal. (Note: see above note about running out of ability space. I could also just move both this and Optimize to free space somewhere else in the rom).

Feel free to offer additional suggestions for NPCs.

Projects:
  Find