Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Again, thanks for the support guys. Scorcher's interest doesn't bother really bother me though. When I sit down to a project like this, I already have a well-defined project plan ahead of me. I know exactly what work I need to do, and I make sure that it is achievable before I change the first byte.

I have a 3-page project charter for this saved on my computer. It includes storyline changes, gameplay changes, and system changes. It lists out what MUST be true for this project to be complete (example, Leo MUST be able to join your party in Thamasa) and what desired changes CAN be sacrificed (example, I currently can't get guest-character Umaro to throw his partners, so I can dummy out that attack and still consider the hack complete). Because of that project charter, I can assure you that every "must" is achievable. There won't come a time when I hit a brick wall for hacking and cancel the project. I have been wanting to make this hack since the 90s, so losing interest is not something I worry about.

However, when I have to choose between an unpaid hobby (modding a game I can't put my real name on) and a paid hobby (making a board game that will potentially sell tens of thousands of copies), the priority is clear.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 8
Status
Well-Fed
Quote: I currently can't get guest-character Umaro to throw his partners

I realise that this is not at all the point of the post, but I would be more than willing to take a look at this for you at some point, if it's something you'd like to keep in the game.

Current Project: FF6: Tensei | Discord ID: TristanGrayse
  Find

Status
None
(01-11-2018, 12:28 AM)GrayShadows Wrote:
Quote: I currently can't get guest-character Umaro to throw his partners

I realise that this is not at all the point of the post, but I would be more than willing to take a look at this for you at some point, if it's something you'd like to keep in the game.

I made a Magitek Research post about it back in March. It currently has a lot of good research from HatZen08 and Madsiur, but I was such a newbie to coding when I opened it that most of it went over my head, and it has taken back-burner priority ever since.

Post is here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3426.html

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
(12-03-2017, 05:37 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: I'm not actually adding many scenes. Just a line or two of dialog here and there. There's actually not a whole lot of room for doing more unless the rom is expanded, and I'm trying to make my changes without expanding the rom. Good call on Capture/Mug though.

What scene would you envision with Mog? If it's a compelling enough scene, I will add it to the list of things to put in if space allows it. Right now, I already have an event coded for placing Optimum Equipment on all party members/all characters, which takes up 358 bytes. That gets first priority if space is available.
Are you open to any patch/idea suggestions outside of scenes for Mog by chance?

As for scenes involving Mog, there are only a few things I can think of outside of altering his thing in Narshe in the WoR. Mind you, all of this is just idle thoughts and 'wouldn't it be neat?' type stuff at this moment.

The first is him saying something when they reach some of the towns the party is journing to. It is afterall his first time moving about in the big world, so there is the potential for things to cause him to stop and say something.

The second is him meeting Lone Wolf for a second time at some point after being recruited and it being a Boss Battle if Mog is in the party, with a potential treasure being won that way. (This could work for either WoB or WoR though.)

The third thought is Mog and Molulu having a conversation at some point in the WoB.
  Find

Status
None
I'll never say no to suggestions. I just might not implement them. Smile

The problem with implementing scenes for Mog is that he's an optional character. So do you have those scenes in the WoB or the WoR? Do you script the scenes so that they take place contextually right after the events of Zozo, or after you've visited the Empire?

One thing I MAY try to do is to re-populate the Moogle's Cave in the WoR. I truly think it was a rom space issue that made it so that all the Moogles were gone, and not an intentional story decision. However, since I deleted 19 NPCs from Cyan's Dream, I may have room to do this.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (01-11-2018)

Status
None
Then my suggestions would be to use the Economizer Tweak patch, as the 'canon' Economizer, by turning every spell's casting cost to 1MP, basically turned every character into an Ultima-spammer. That... was boring. It may also help to limit the number of economizers and gold hairpins the players can get in the game.

My other suggestion is the Antimagic Field hack, which turns off the 'magic only' setup in the magic tower, plus it fixes a bug with the extra 'guest characters' in that location as well.

EDIT; Please consider using this ASM patch to use Relm's stats instead of the Monster's for Sketch. https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3478.html

Second EDIT; My last request is for you to make the reworked Cyan Dream Sequence into a stand-alone patch, as that would be very useful for a LOT of other modders to take advantage of the extra space freed up.
  Find

Status
None
Small update, but I've resumed work on this project.

When I look back at my files, I started re-arranging Cyan's dream on December 8th. As I posted above, it was a massive undertaking that meant re-writing and relocating over 1kb of data in the rom, re-purposing 19 NPC event bits, and making a few map edits. You know... all for 1 30-second scene. Huge sigh... Well, at least Cyan gets to have his nightmare in his own bed.

Cyan's nightmare, for the record, is now his recruitment scenario. His original scenario has been given to Leo.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (02-27-2018), Robo Jesus (02-28-2018)

Status
None
...well, this now makes me hesitant to try and mess with the Cyan dream sequence in order to get a ton of space for other coding work. Still, thank you for the update PowerPanda.
  Find

Status
None
(02-28-2018, 02:15 AM)Robo Jesu s Wrote: ...well, this now makes me hesitant to try and mess with the Cyan dream sequence in order to get a ton of space for other coding work. Still, thank you for the update PowerPanda.

When I finish with the dream sequence, I may release this as a standaolone, hosted through this forum (rather than on RHDN). Most of the delays have been personal, not because it actually took me 3 months. That being said, this is in the top tier of complexity for event editing.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (02-28-2018), Robo Jesus (02-28-2018)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-28-2018, 01:59 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: I may release this as a standaolone, hosted through this forum (rather than on RHDN).

Cool man! You can make a patch thread separated from this thread in the patch sub-forum and I'll put the file and screenshots (if any) on our server. If you meant the whole Definitive Edition, I'll make an announcement for it when needed.
  Find