Users browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)
FF6 - Brave New World

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 5
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(06-14-2013, 04:44 AM)Endarire Wrote: Must Strago be hit with a Lore to learn it?

No.

Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
-=1.0.7 Stuff=-

For physical attacks, how do Battle Power and Vigor interact? What does each of them do?

[Image: Brave%20New%20World%20%28FFVI%20Mod%29_00035.png]
Leaving Solitary Island. Note the water.

[Image: Brave%20New%20World%20%28FFVI%20Mod%29_00036.png]
Albrook still looks weird.

Tzen: When Sabin is holding up the house, he says, "...And If..." That should be a small if.

Overworld of Ruin: Why does the overworld flicker so much?

Tentacle Fight: If the party starts off between the engines for story purposes, why do they jump to opposite sides of the tentacles for the fight? (The fight looks like it should be a pincer, but it's a side fight instead. Odd. But convenient.)
  Find

Thanks Received: 40
Status
None
About the graphical glitches, you're the only one reporting those and I can't for the life of me duplicate them, so I'm pretty well convinced it's a local issue and not a problem with the patch.

Quote:For physical attacks, how do Battle Power and Vigor interact? What does each of them do?

The full physical damage formula is in the Readme.

Quote:Overworld of Ruin: Why does the overworld flicker so much?

As far as we can tell, this is a side effect of the map editor (FF6LE).

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
Version 1.0.8 is up. This version also includes a second patch for non-headered ROMs.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
rl good job on this hack.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm doing a silent Let's Play on this hack. Check my awesome skills.

Madsiur's Playthrough
  Find

Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(Did the forum revert eat my post? I think so! Rar!)

For 1.0.8:

1: Can we please make it so Slot doesn't trigger enemy counterattacks? Setzer rolled Earth Rage against Chesticle, then died. I revived him, then he rolled Blackjack and again died.

2: Shouldn't it be called a "Dragoon Helm" instead of a "Dragon Helm"?

3: Doom Gaze: Compared to Umaro, he was easy. Not disappointingly so, but surprisingly so. (Sabin/Edgar/Terra/Gogo to kill Doom Gaze, but Sabin/Edgar/Terra/Mog for Umaro. That Snowstorm spam's lethal!)

4: Since Gogo can mimic Steal, it seems logical for him to be able to open Narshe's structures. Can we include this?

5: Sabin. He's my MVP. Aside from perhaps Serpent Trench, there is no point at which I regret having him along.

6: Party members come World of Ruin. I've discovered that 1000 HP is the cutoff point to where you're unlikely to be one-shot in the back row. Since Edgar has about 1600 HP, he's in good shape.

Unfortunately, everyone I waited to level (due to wanting them to have better esper bonuses) is a liability. It seems like a gentle breeze would kill 'em.

7: Setzer: When I have the choice to not take him, I don't. His spell selection is weak, his physical damage is pathetic (dealing double digit damage per hit with the best weapons available when I can cast Fire 3 for 7000+ and even 9999!) and his Slot ability feels meh. I like his in-combat no-MP party heal, but even then, that's low compared to a Cure 2, and enemies aren't waiting around for me to fully heal my party! I've given him the "Offering" relic and Sprint Shoes (because everyone should have Sprint Shoes!) and his damage is still meh. The best I can say about him is that he's an off-healer and can use the Switchblade and "Offering" to steal when Locke ain't around.

8: Mog: I kinda like him. Unfortunately, I don't know what the revised dances do. Maybe I'd like him far more if I did, because dances I use tend not to work when it counts (like, oh, bosses). It ain't because of Mog failing to dance, but not using party-healing dances when I need it, and using effects that either deal no or pathetic damage. His Fight isn't doing that much damage (dual wielding) and Jumping is doing a bit better, but still shy of 1000 damage per round. Mog is cool in personality, but ends up feeling weak to me due to 'meh' or poor Fight damage and unpredictable dances.

9: Gogo: I'm not sure what to make of the revised Gogo. (He's been dead most the time I've had him. Low HP kills!) Sabin can Bum Rush from the back row for about 2500, but Gogo does this for about 600. The best I can say about Gogo so far is that at least he can cast any spell of his companions, making him versatile in the Element3 and the restorative stuff. Oh, and Blitzing Chakra. Woo!

10: Umaro: My previous FFVI experience has turned me off to him. Being totally uncontrollable (and with unchangeable Equipment) is a downside, even if he hits hard. (Sabin hits hard, too!) I'm not sure what to say about him, but I feel meh tending toward "no likey."

11: Gau: He's still level 18 in a party of level 30ishes. His HP is below 400. That's problematic, even for training purposes. I also wish I had a comprehensive list of what the revised rages did since I have to guess. I know Exocite, Albatross, Adamantite, and Zombone. Beyond that, I don't know nor much care. Gau is better this time around but gets shelved due to complexity.

12: And this leaves me with the characters I like to play. (Haven't regotten Cyan/Strago/Relm/Shadow yet, but the situation is probably the same.) I already mentioned Gogo has potential, but I'm not sure how to spec him yet. Edgar and Sabin are permanent party members (because there are two Figaro brothers). I prefer a caster for my third slot- Terra or Celes- and my fourth slot is open. This isn't inherently bad, but it's no different from FFVI vanilla. It's probably that these characters are interesting in personality, easy to use, and effective at what they do.

I still flub the occasional Blitz, but I can reliably pull out Bum Rushes and Aurabolts and Chakras and Mantras, meaning Sabin is my MVP. Oh, and Golem is wonderful against physical-heavy bosses. Edgar brings out his tools for damage (Bio Blaster to DoT foes to death, Drill/Chainsaw when he can), heals with Cure 2, hampers bosses with Slow, and equips Palidor for Air Raid on bosses. Terra and Celes have the spells to keep people alive (Cure 2, Life, and occasionally Regen) and Energy 2/3 are wonderful for killing things. Reflect is occasionally useful (and helped Doom Gaze kill himself; hehe), but so far I've not needed anywhere near the plethora of spells available to my party.

It's a shame, too, because the various status effect spells (Bserk, Mute, Stop...) would be quite helpful to use against bosses, but aside from one boss that I Muted, I try to lay on the Slow then commence beatdown. There's simply too little reason to deviate from the standard FFVI formula (disregarding Vanish/Magic) of rocket tag, wherein combatants throw out their most destructive things as quickly as possible and mending wounds as needed. Instead of spamming Ultima and Genji Glove/Offering, it's Terra Morph + Ultima/Energy 3 or Sabin with Bum Rush/Aurabolt, or maybe Umaro with an Atlas Armlet and Sprint Shoes. The spirit of the original game is there, but the means of victory are different. And once you can buy Sprint Shoes, I believe this relic is mandatory for every party member who wants to live, especially on Boss Fights™. (Even with Sprint Shoes and 50ish speed, I'm finding bosses who are approximately as fast or even faster!)

My impressions so far are that characters are more interdependent (and the stinkers have been improved from vanilla), but my favorites are still my favorites, and quite useful at that! Everyone else... will get trained when the time comes. I wish there were more leniency when dealing with new characters so I wouldn't have to spend such a great effort keeping them alive long enough for them to get XP around where my main characters are meant to be.

13: When Celes meets Sabin and he's holding up the house, Sabin says, "And If" with both words in caps.

14: When I get to Maranda, why's there this guy running around so frantically wishing me good luck? His grammar should also use 2 sentences instead of 1.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 2: Shouldn't it be called a "Dragoon Helm" instead of a "Dragon Helm"?

In the Advance version, the relic that makes you jump up to 4 times instead 1 is called the Dragon Horn ;)
  Find

Thanks Received: 5
Status
None
(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 1: Can we please make it so Slot doesn't trigger enemy counterattacks? Setzer rolled Earth Rage against Chesticle, then died. I revived him, then he rolled Blackjack and again died.

The only coutner-attacks that Slot will trigger are those that will counter *any* offensive attack, which is a very small portion of the enemy population (and all bosses). Chesticle is a special case because the shell counters with a 100% hitrate. MT attacks are a bad idea in that fight.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 4: Since Gogo can mimic Steal, it seems logical for him to be able to open Narshe's structures. Can we include this?

Who's he going to mimic if Locke isn't around?

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 7: Setzer: When I have the choice to not take him, I don't. His spell selection is weak, his physical damage is pathetic (dealing double digit damage per hit with the best weapons available when I can cast Fire 3 for 7000+ and even 9999!) and his Slot ability feels meh. I like his in-combat no-MP party heal, but even then, that's low compared to a Cure 2, and enemies aren't waiting around for me to fully heal my party! I've given him the "Offering" relic and Sprint Shoes (because everyone should have Sprint Shoes!) and his damage is still meh. The best I can say about him is that he's an off-healer and can use the Switchblade and "Offering" to steal when Locke ain't around.

If you give Setzer the Trump, he can double-spam its instant-death property thanks to Daryl's Soul. Dual Man Eaters can also do upwards of 8,000 damage a round if they're hitting a weakness (they work great in Gogo's Cave).

That said, the dude is really meant to be a healer more than a fighter.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 8: Mog: I kinda like him. Unfortunately, I don't know what the revised dances do. Maybe I'd like him far more if I did...

All of his dance steps are listed in the Printme file included with the mod's download.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 9: Gogo: I'm not sure what to make of the revised Gogo. (He's been dead most the time I've had him. Low HP kills!) Sabin can Bum Rush from the back row for about 2500, but Gogo does this for about 600. The best I can say about Gogo so far is that at least he can cast any spell of his companions, making him versatile in the Element3 and the restorative stuff. Oh, and Blitzing Chakra. Woo!

Gogo is the closest thing this mod has to a broken character. I've seen a few other guys put him to ridiculously good use, but it takes a lot of creativity to do so.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 11: Gau: He's still level 18 in a party of level 30ishes. His HP is below 400. That's problematic, even for training purposes. I also wish I had a comprehensive list of what the revised rages did since I have to guess.

Again, it's all listed in the Printme file.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: It's a shame, too, because the various status effect spells (Bserk, Mute, Stop...) would be quite helpful to use against bosses, but aside from one boss that I Muted, I try to lay on the Slow then commence beatdown.

Status magic is meant to be used on random encounters, particularly from the likes of Terra and Celes (who are probably trying to conserve their MP).

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: And once you can buy Sprint Shoes, I believe this relic is mandatory for every party member who wants to live, especially on Boss Fights™. (Even with Sprint Shoes and 50ish speed, I'm finding bosses who are approximately as fast or even faster!)

Really? I never really had much of a love affair with those. The Life Bell was my go-to relic for characters that needed to stay alive.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: I wish there were more leniency when dealing with new characters so I wouldn't have to spend such a great effort keeping them alive long enough for them to get XP around where my main characters are meant to be.

The idea is that if you keep swapping out characters in the World of Ruin, everybody will sort of be kept up to speed. If you don't... well, then, you end up in a situation like how you described.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 13: When Celes meets Sabin and he's holding up the house, Sabin says, "And If" with both words in caps.

That's fixed in 1.0.8.

(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: 14: When I get to Maranda, why's there this guy running around so frantically wishing me good luck? His grammar should also use 2 sentences instead of 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48&t=0m3s

Status
None
(06-18-2013, 04:52 AM)Endarire Wrote: (Did the forum revert eat my post? I think so! Rar!)

Yep, and it also ate my reply. So, here we go again.

Quote:1: Can we please make it so Slot doesn't trigger enemy counterattacks? Setzer rolled Earth Rage against Chesticle, then died. I revived him, then he rolled Blackjack and again died.

That's kind of the idea with Setzer. He's all about chance/luck of the draw. We tried to port his gambler class over to his combat style between Slots and the Dice/Fixed Dice.

Quote:3: Doom Gaze: Compared to Umaro, he was easy. Not disappointingly so, but surprisingly so. (Sabin/Edgar/Terra/Gogo to kill Doom Gaze, but Sabin/Edgar/Terra/Mog for Umaro. That Snowstorm spam's lethal!)

A lot of bosses in the WoR will follow this trend, to a degree. You also had a powerful group for Doom Gaze, able to repeatedly nail weaknesses for huge amounts of damage (between Fire 3 and Aura Bolt).

Umaro the boss is the same as Umaro the character. Powerful, but not much in the way of tricks.

Quote:4: Since Gogo can mimic Steal, it seems logical for him to be able to open Narshe's structures. Can we include this?

Nah, that's not going to happen. It may make sense, but it gives the player much earlier access to some really powerful gear.

Quote:5: Sabin. He's my MVP. Aside from perhaps Serpent Trench, there is no point at which I regret having him along.

So far, pretty much everyone we've heard reports from has a different MVP. Really, the only two characters I would least expect to hear that about are Umaro and Shadow.

Quote:6: Party members come World of Ruin. I've discovered that 1000 HP is the cutoff point to where you're unlikely to be one-shot in the back row. Since Edgar has about 1600 HP, he's in good shape.

Unfortunately, everyone I waited to level (due to wanting them to have better esper bonuses) is a liability. It seems like a gentle breeze would kill 'em.

Well, if you intentionally kept their levels low, that's to be expected. We tried to give everyone attractive esper bonuses in the WoB so players don't feel like they're gimping themselves if they level up too early. That said, Strago and Relm are difficult since you get them so late in the WoB.

It also (hopefully) encourages players to use their entire roster when exploring the various dungeons of the WoR.

Quote:7: Setzer: When I have the choice to not take him, I don't. His spell selection is weak, his physical damage is pathetic (dealing double digit damage per hit with the best weapons available when I can cast Fire 3 for 7000+ and even 9999!) and his Slot ability feels meh. I like his in-combat no-MP party heal, but even then, that's low compared to a Cure 2, and enemies aren't waiting around for me to fully heal my party! I've given him the "Offering" relic and Sprint Shoes (because everyone should have Sprint Shoes!) and his damage is still meh. The best I can say about him is that he's an off-healer and can use the Switchblade and "Offering" to steal when Locke ain't around.

This can depend a lot on what esper bonuses he's gotten too. He has a lot of potential with a setup like dual Man Eaters/Daryl's Soul wrecking shop against humans, but that's obviously a bit situational. By pumping his magic, you'll be dealing a lot of damage when he nails his slots, and healing for a good amount when he misses.

That said, we have a few other players reporting that they never let Setzer out of their party. Any character (save for Umaro, for obvious reasons) can be quite powerful given the right setup.

Quote:8: Mog: I kinda like him. Unfortunately, I don't know what the revised dances do. Maybe I'd like him far more if I did, because dances I use tend not to work when it counts (like, oh, bosses). It ain't because of Mog failing to dance, but not using party-healing dances when I need it, and using effects that either deal no or pathetic damage. His Fight isn't doing that much damage (dual wielding) and Jumping is doing a bit better, but still shy of 1000 damage per round. Mog is cool in personality, but ends up feeling weak to me due to 'meh' or poor Fight damage and unpredictable dances.

Learning Mog's dances and the situations in which to use them is the key to being effective with him as a dancer. The new dance repertoires are in the Printme, so I won't go over which is the best for certain situations. Just like Setzer, we have quite a few people saying that they've been using him to great effect. I found a lot of success with him as a dancer too, and I normally dislike characters I can't control.

I will say that the native dance is usually a bad idea on bosses.

Quote:9: Gogo: I'm not sure what to make of the revised Gogo. (He's been dead most the time I've had him. Low HP kills!) Sabin can Bum Rush from the back row for about 2500, but Gogo does this for about 600. The best I can say about Gogo so far is that at least he can cast any spell of his companions, making him versatile in the Element3 and the restorative stuff. Oh, and Blitzing Chakra. Woo!

Bum Rush is a physical attack, and Gogo has very low Vigor. Just like Mog and Setzer, quite a few other players have reported using him to great effect, and Gogo is easily one of my favorites.

I won't give you any specific setups (since that's half the fun), but I will say this: Gogo's strengths are his high base speed, evasion, and selection of magic-boosting equipment. It's also no accident that he can equip daggers.

There are many, many extremely effective setups for Gogo.

Quote:10: Umaro: My previous FFVI experience has turned me off to him. Being totally uncontrollable (and with unchangeable Equipment) is a downside, even if he hits hard. (Sabin hits hard, too!) I'm not sure what to say about him, but I feel meh tending toward "no likey."

Yep. Umaro is the same as he ever was, he just hits harder. He'd be attractive to the new or inexperienced player because he takes no effort to hit like a truck, but he's overall the weakest character.

Quote:11: Gau: He's still level 18 in a party of level 30ishes. His HP is below 400. That's problematic, even for training purposes. I also wish I had a comprehensive list of what the revised rages did since I have to guess. I know Exocite, Albatross, Adamantite, and Zombone. Beyond that, I don't know nor much care. Gau is better this time around but gets shelved due to complexity.

This information is in the Printme as well. You would just need to cross-reference the list of rages with the list of attacks to see their effect.

Quote:*snip*

Everyone has their favorite characters. What we tried to do was bring players out of their comfort zone a bit by using characters they didn't normally use. Every character is useful, but some thought needs to go into how to build and use them as well. That's why we've supplied the information we did in the Printme file.

I like the idea of status effects being useful on bosses (I *hated* FF12, but that's one thing they did well). The problem here is that it's very hard to balance around. We couldn't count on the presence of these status spells (for example, Mute) because of how certain spells are limited to certain characters, so we couldn't make the boss too difficult if you didn't have a Mute caster. At the same time, we'd have to ensure that he's not a pushover if he is muted.

That said, a lot of people have found status spells useful in random encounters, though I personally rarely used them. Your boss strategy mirrors mine, simply because that's how I prefer to play. Then again, if you're sticking with the same basic cast for every dungeon, you're going to plow through the WoR with little effort until you hit Kefka's Tower.

Quote:14: When I get to Maranda, why's there this guy running around so frantically wishing me good luck? His grammar should also use 2 sentences instead of 1.

It's an Airplane! reference.

Brave New World
  Find