Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Having the option to use Vigor in some spells

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
This is something that blaffes me that it works like this in the vanilla game. Since Swdteches and Blitzes are spells, the game uses the magic stat to calculate the damage they do. Therefore, slamming your sword against the enemy depends in your magic stat and not the more relevant Vigor.

During one of B-Run's streams he said that something like this could be done, and even assign which spell uses Vigor or which uses Magic with FF3usME, apparently the last row of ? checkboxes are empty and one could assign code to that checkbox?

Also, I remember on RotDS that Magitek's beams did more damage depending if you're on the front row. That would be a nice thing to implement for swordteches since it makes sense.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
While all special moves in vanilla ignore back row, some vanilla special moves (for example, Dispatch) do indeed use vigour in their calculations, and that can be modified in FF3usME already fairly easily. Go to the spell editor and under "Special 1" you'll see a box for "Physical Damage".

I'm pretty sure Nattak got the code for allowing special attacks to respect row from Synchysi. You'll have to ask one of them about that.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Charmed
A-are you sure physical damage doesn't only take into account the enemy's physical defense instead? I mean, if it was that easy, I would think B-Run wouldn't have just told me "Oh just check this box"...
Also, I have a physical damage with spell power 111 doing 120ish damage, yet Fire, a non-physical spell with only spell power 21 is also doing around 100 damage. Considering that magic defense is usually much higher than regular defense on enemies (usually around double), and that my caster and my swordtecher have a somewhat similar magic and vigor stat (48 vs 43), you would think the physical attack would be leagues stronger, unless it was still using the magic stat of my swordtecher (23).

I'll be sure to ask them :)

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Physical uses vigor regardless of whether it's a "spell" or not. Every single action with the exception of Jump and Mimic pulls from the same spell list, including the basic Attack, and that physical flag determines whether it uses vigor or magic. Vigor's vanilla formula influence is just that bad.
  Find

Status
Charmed
Whoa! Really, now? You would think it would use the same formula, but only using the Vigor stat where the magic stat was before. You know what I mean, using your vigor points (like in my example above, 43) instead of your magic points (23). Is it possible to do something like that, or would we need to rework the whole vigor formula altogether?
Can we even do that?

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Yeah, level might as well be the only thing that influences physical attacks, on the whole. I suspect it would be reasonable to call the magic damage formula and branch to use Vigour instead if it's a physical attack, but I'm not an expert.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Tell me what you want overall and I'll do it, however don't ask me what is the most balanced / best solution : P
  Find

Status
Charmed
Madsiur is good like that? I'd like to at least see what you're doing so I can later look at it myself and f*ck about with the code till I get something.
I don't know what's the magic spell formula, but basically if the "physical damage" flag is set, have the spell use the vigor valor instead of magic's. To put it more clear
Character
Vigor: 54
Magic: 32

Instead of the formula using 32, use 54.

Hopefully if the enemy defense appears in the formula, make it use the physical defense and not the magic one in the same vein as I stated above.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-30-2016, 07:17 PM)Kugawattan Wrote: Instead of the formula using 32, use 54.

Hopefully if the enemy defense appears in the formula, make it use the physical defense and not the magic one in the same vein as I stated above.

I'll try working on that tonight!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Kugawattan (04-30-2016)

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
The point i was getting at on-stream was that you could write any number of damage calculations using any number of variables and assign them to free bits in the spell variables, in the same way that the physical damage formula is selected.
  Find