Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
(05-04-2016, 02:46 PM)Kugawattan Wrote: Yeh, I did. Now it reads:

Code:
;Physical Damage Formula Overhaul
;basically equalizes the physical damage formula for characters and monsters
;and makes it use the same formula as for magical damage
;This makes Vigor and Battle Power MUCH more powerful.
;It also makes physical abilites scale much worse with level, obviously.
;You need to adjust Battle Power for weapons and stuff otherwise they're insane
;ex. Ultima is 150 power while Illumina is 255 power.

hirom
header

org $C22890
NOP #2           ;Disable doubling Vigor for characters:

org $C22BB7
NOP #2           ;Disable quadrupling battle power for monsters:

org $C22BE9
JSR $2B69        ;Discard physical damage formula, call magic formula instead:

org $C22BCE
STA $11A6        ;Make sure Gauntlet still works
SEP #$20         ;Make game not crash :)

org $C22C02
cont1:
org $C22BF0      
REP #$20         ;(Set 16-bit accumulator, since $2B69 sets it to 8-bit)
BRA cont1        ;Disable multiplying damage by 3/2 and adding Battle Power for characters

;org $C22D64
;ADC $3B40,Y      ;Set monster Vigor as a random number from Monster's Stamina + [1..8]

;org $C22CF0
;cont2:
;org $C22CE9
;NOP              ;Increase the cap on monster Stamina to 96
;CMP #$50         ;(Stamina = (Max HP / 256) + 16. If this number
;BCC cont2        ; is greater than 96, then the monster's stamina is
;LDA #$4F         ; set to 96)

;org $C20F3A     ;Make Hyper Wrist boost Vigor by 25% instead of 50% (rounded UP)
;LSR             ;(NOTE: not compatible with assassin's genji glove damage reduction fix)

;org $C20F3F     ;Make Hyper Wrist boost Vigor by 25% instead of 50% (rounded UP)
;LSR             ;(NOTE: compatible with assassin's Genji Glove damage reduction fix;
               ; apply this AFTER applying that one or it will just overwrite this)

;org $C22BC7
;NOP #4         ;Nerf Gauntlet a little bit, make it increase battle power by 50% instead of 75%
               ;With the new physical formula, the Gauntlet literally increases damage by 75%
               ;while the Genji Glove lags behind at 50%. So...yeah. Optional, IMO.

;org $C22BC4
;LSR             ;A smaller nerf for Gauntlet; this increases Battle Power (hence damage)
               ; by 62,5%.

Have you tried it on a vanilla ROM, just to check if the patching is indeed being done correctly and that it, well, works lol. I'm sure seibaby tested this though, but just to cross every bridge. If it does work, then it's going to be some other confliction with your hack, perhaps some other patch.

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Figuring from the 97 damage the Guard did, it definitely works in vanilla.

Excuse me while I throw myself out of the window.

Patches I've used:
Code:
33 patches used

expansion_h.ips
027_custom_items_11.ips
EVADE.IPS
Flinch Fix H0.ips
FF3-BackwardsJump-H0.ips
ff3dashA.ips
FF3-DeadInAir-HR.ips
VANISH.IPS
StickyShadow.IPS
Steps - header.ips
RestoredAbilityNames_full-MS.ips
Randomosity-U.ips
PINROW-E.IPS
TKSide.ips
STIMER.IPS
Multi-Steal-Fix-for-FF3-US-10-H.ips
InvDrn.ips
IconArr.IPS
FFV-Battle-on-the-Big-Bridge-Music.ips
FF6STACK.IPS
FF3-UltimateDamage-H.ips
FF3-SavePoint-H.ips
FF3-ItemMagicCounter-H.ips
MPDigits-5.ips
FF3DIGIT.IPS
CAPTWPN.IPS
CONT-MP.IPS
CONTUPD.IPS
FF3IVFIX.IPS
FF3-ZombieRipB-H.ips
FF3-GameOver-H.ips
SwdTech_Speed_Up.ips
BeheRow0.ips

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
You should check that seibaby's empty space spot is not used by other patches:

Code:
org $C2A75A ; change this to free space
  Find

Status
Charmed
I should have done that before working on the new hp growth and tweaking both the monsters and the weapons. I don't know if I will regret not applying the ultimate damage patch, we'll see.

Anyway, would it be a good idea to take a look at the armor stats? If I adjusted most weapon stats to deal a similar amount of damage like before, would it mean defense stats react pretty much similarly?

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
No part of my patch is compatible with Ultimate damage fix. If you removed it, there are a few other possible reasons:

1. Your ROM has a header and the line "header" in the .asm is commented out
2. The free space used by my patch is taken by one of your patches.
Open up your ROM in a hex editor and navigate to $C2A65A (HiROM) and check out if there's a string of FF FF that's long enough to fit my patch. Then change the offset labeled "change this to free space" to that address.
3. You're using other patches that conflict with my patch. Use a hex editor to do a file comparison between your ROM and a vanilla ROM, and get a list of offsets that are changed. Then cross-reference those with the ones in my patch.

Edit: or, a quicker way is to create an .ips file of my patch, and then use a tool called Patch Conflict Finder by mblock129.

If you've corrupted your ROM, you can still salvage the edits you've made by dumping the data with a hex editor like Windhex32. Check the ROM map on this site and find the range of offsets you need to dump for, eg. the item data or monster data. Then you can just insert those into a fresh ROM using your editor. I only use Windhex32 but most editors should have an option to insert binary data from a dump. HP Growth can be exported and imported with FF3usME.
  Find

Status
Charmed
1) No. As you can see in my post above, my rom has a header and "header" is not commented.
2) Not that either. My rom before applying the patch has a big bunch of FF (around 150 bytes) empty at the adress you gave me.
3) Sorry for being a bit mean, but that doesn't make any sense. If any patch but the Ultimate Damage fix would not work with your patch, then why do they do? Without the UDf my game runs smoothly with the new vigor formula.

I've been being extra careful about not doing weird things after the second time I corrupted my rom, so I doubt something is wrong with it. Also, I think you made a typo in your last post and meant to say "no part of my patch is incompatible with", because your post wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Wow, this sounded unnecesarily mean. I'm sorry. I'm going to apply your asm to a clean rom (with the ultimate damage fix) and see if it works.

A clean rom (that has FF FF in the offsets you pointed) with both ultimate damage patch and your asm work still crashes once a character gets a turn. Ouch.

(oooh double post of doom. Very scary!) Okay, after testing seibaby's vigor normalizer patch, I can assure it works wonders, even if it allows slighty less variety for the early monsters' attack power (with the stamina tweak disabled, early enemies can't have more than 3 or 4 Bat. Power and level 5 or 6, or else they deal way too much damage).

However, I seem to have noticed a small issue that's more annoying than anything, and it's that it seems characters dealing damage is kinda...too aleatory. For example I have Terra (with 36 Vigor and 9 Battle Power) deal a somewhat consistent 70 damage on one enemy, but other times the damage goes from 49 to 82. Likewise, My Pummel equivalent seems to do damage that varies from 110 to 148. I'm wondering if it is possible to reduce the random damage somewhat, what do you think?

Status
Tissue-aware
Try changing #$E0 to #$F0 here:

Code:
C2/0CB3: 09 E0        ORA #$E0

The max damage if we take out everything except randomness will be the same. Overall, damage average should be a little higher but with more consistence. It basically make the random number from [224 to 255] to [240 to 255].
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Kugawattan (05-07-2016)

Status
Charmed
Okay, I tested that, and while physical damage done with attack is fine (more consistent) (thanks Madsuir!), the pummel equivalent is still...peculiar. It does consistent damage (110-114), yet, at times, it does a jump at 148, as if it were a critical hit. This can happen in the same battle where the other attack is and has done 110ish.
It's really weird, almost if there was a 25% boost of a magic critical hit of some sort. Maybe Vigor is tied to the possiblity of a critical hit, so when the physical damage bit is ticked, it causes it to randomly perform a critical? I don't know.

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-07-2016, 01:21 PM)Kugawattan Wrote: It's really weird, almost if there was a 25% boost of a magic critical hit of some sort. Maybe Vigor is tied to the possiblity of a critical hit, so when the physical damage bit is ticked, it causes it to randomly perform a critical? I don't know.

Does your other attacks have a ~3/2 critical ratio (for a normal attack of 50, critical would be 70-80) ?

Edit: ok, so it's not an official critical?
  Find

Status
Charmed
Terra's attack does 43-46 and the critical did 83-90. So it's like x2.

Oh, and by the way, setting C2/0CB3: 09 E0 to C2/0CB3: 09 FE has made Pummel to deal consistently 113. Though maybe if I did a bit more research it would do a faux crit, let me see.